Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
allaboutlana

Find the Movie Star in Classic TV

Early 1950s sticom. Wife writes an article for a national magazine about her husband, a show-business figure. She reports, untruthfully, that he once beat up a widely-known crime figure.

Sheldon Leonard as "Silky Thompson". He had a few rounds with Gracie, then George asked, "Are you going to kill me.?" Silky replied to the effect of nothin' doin', George would have to do it for himself. First broadcast 11 Dec 1952, four years before my family had television -- and I never saw it until last week. cujas, you have a good memory, or maybe you saw it last week on AntennaTV, like I did.

cujas' thread.

Edited by: flashback42 on Dec 17, 2012 9:05 PM

five days idle = open thread.

A respected actor with credits in some notable movies, a star in two TV series, and also a series of TV movies. Did two guest shots in a popular 1970s PI series as a colleague -- and somewhat a rival -- to the star character.

??

Flashy--I don't have the time to do another one now-- But I wasn't aware that you made the rules on this website.

Apologies, cujas. If you had posted a notice that you were working on something and would be back with a question, it would have been different. I should have posted a question to that effect.

A regular feature of the series' plots was that the police personnel were quite short-tempered with the star PI. A running gag in this Guest Star's two episodes was that the cops just loved him and gave him all kinds of leeway. ("You got a client confidentially problem, _____?") The star was miffed about this.

Series? Star? Guest? The guest's activities since these episodes?

Correct. Tom Selleck as charismatic P.I. Lance White. At the end of his second episode, the noble Lance married the multi-millionaire heiress whose rescue had been accomplished (mainly by Rockford), and he announced that he was going to become a philanthropist with his new wife's money. He later became *Magnum, PI*, and also did a long arc as a *Friends* star's sweetheart. Currently he is the New York Police Commissioner on *Blue Bloods*. And it seems that the TVM series about small town Police Chief *Jesse Stone* is still in progress.

ForTheWaters' thread

Edited by: flashback42 on Dec 23, 2012 5:36 PM

* [home|http://greginhollywood.com/]

* [search|http://greginhollywood.com/i-love-lucy-friday-when-lucy-comes-face-to-face-with-william-holden-at-the-brown-derby-67679#side-search]

* [about|http://greginhollywood.com/about/]

* [photos|http://www.flickr.com/greginhollywood]

* [back issues|http://greginhollywood.com/back-issues/]

* [contact|http://greginhollywood.com/contact/]

* [advertise|http://greginhollywood.com/advertise/]

h1. “I Love Lucy” Friday: When Lucy comes face-to-face with William Holden at the Brown Derby

By Greg Hernandez on May 4, 2012 2:24 pm | [Comments (3)|http://greginhollywood.com/i-love-lucy-friday-when-lucy-comes-face-to-face-with-william-holden-at-the-brown-derby-67679#comments] |

DSC_5215-400x304.jpgTitled L.A. At Last!, this classic episode of I Love Lucy first aired on Feb. 7, 1955.

It is the first episode set in Hollywood during the show’s fourth season.

Arriving in Hollywood, Lucy goes star hunting at the Brown Derby, and finds *William Holden* in the next booth.

Later in the episode, we know that Lucy puts on putty nose that catches fire when she tries to disguise herself from the move star who she had encountered at the Brown Derby earlier in the day.

Mid-1990s. An action star appears as himlelf in a popular sitcom. Street shots, as he works on a film in progress. A female regular in the series wants his attention; pushes a chum into approaching the guest star on her behalf.

The guest star is, in fact, attracted by the young lady who approaches him. "Tell your friend she has a cute friend." The girl is loyal, though, and she keeps at it until she arranges a date between the action star and her chum.

This action is in episode 2 of a two-part story. This series, with an active ensemble cast, often ran three fast-paced plot threads in each 30-min segment. In another subplot of this episode, there was a very big female star.

The girl on the go-between spot gets resentful. She's denying herself an opportunity with this attractive man, promoting her friend's cause, and getting little appreciation. She manages to get them to keep a date with each other. But she has set a trap.

On her first stroll through the streets with the guest hunk, the girl gets her revelation. The guest tells her what he was told by the go-between; using the name of a popular actress (both then and now), he says, "______ told me you wanted a three-way with me and ____ _________. I have to tell you first that ____ has some ground rules..." // Fade out on that, and a later scene featuring a brawl between the two girls, leading up to a knife and a threat to a very, very expensive handbag.

Series? Guest? Again, this is just one of three subplots in this fast-paced comedy episode.

I do regret so much that I don't have a Views count on this one. The Action-Hero Guest is in fact a Martial Arts ace, and most of his films make use of that talent.

Not *Sex And the City.* 30-min sitcom on one of the commercial channels. Main characters are three young men and three young women. Almost always three plot threads going. As mentioned, this is the second of a 2-parter. And there is also a big female guest star in one of the other plotlines.

This one just sort of dried up. The series: *Friends*. Episode The One After The Super Bowl Part 2, aired 28 January 1996.

Guest: Belgian-born kickboxer / action star Jean Claude Van Damme.

The character Monica (Courtney Cox) got her friend Rachel (Jennifer Aniston) to front for her in getting acquainted with him. Van Damme accepted, believing that there was to be a three-way for him and Cox and Drew Barrymore.

And Julia Roberts guest starred in one of the other subplots of the episode.

Actress with a solid resume' that started in childhood. Both parents in the Biz, also with solid records. 1990s: She guest starred in a two-part story on an established sitcom. A plot about gays "coming out". Several joke references about gays trying to "recruit" people who were "straight". In one of the final scenes, the guest was awarded a toaster oven for having the series star come out.

Series? Star? Guest?