Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
allaboutlana

Find the Movie Star in Classic TV

In a first season episode of The Andy Griffith Show, a new doctor played by George Nader came to town and got along really well with Ellie (Elinor Donahue), which made Andy jealous (after a little prodding from Barney, of course).

Hmm, didn't expect that guess to be right.  Thanks.

Today, this actress is probably more famous for reasons other than her film work, but before she got her break on the big screen, she was seen in numerous episodes of this 60s sitcom mostly uncredited as a secretary, girl in a crowd, partygoer, etc.  Name the actress and the TV show.

Hint:  This lovely late actress's legacy is tied more to the actions of others.  Her family members continue to have her back against all other families.

Sharon Tate was in several Beverly Hillbillies episodes...calling foul though..if you would've revealed she was deceased, bet a lot of readers would've guessed sooner.

That's her... nicely done.  Had to show restraint on clues because the basis of her fame is her death. Can't make it toooooooooo easy.  Your thread, though.

This Central High student in an early sitcom went on to be a colorful director.

Hint..for decades, his off-screen life received as much press as his film roles

Hint..among his many film roles were two playing real life criminals, and one portraying a fictional detective.

Who is the Oscar winner and in what sitcom (clue 1) did he first gain recognition?

This is a good question that I worked on for awhile yesterday. Can I ask if his Oscar was for his direction or his roles?

Yeah!!???? it's Beatty..I was initially going to reveal his character was the rich kid at Central High (in the Many Loves of Dobie Gillis), but thought that might give away too much. Although he had a few bit parts in dramas like Play house 90, his stint as the guy vying with Dobie for Tuesday Weld gave him his first big recognition. The film roles mentioned were in Bonnie and Clyde, Bugsy, and Duck Tracy. The 'colorful director' was alluding to Reds..yeah I know..not a great clue..tommyphils31 got it..your thread!

This may be an easy one, but here goes.

This former box office dynamo (still living, though) once had a featured part in a popular anthology series in which his character was a very amusing caricature of one of the greatest actors of all time.  

Name the actor, the series, and the actor he lampooned.

Sounds like Burt Reynolds doing his best Brando in The Twilight Zone..

Yep, pretty funny too. One of the few good hour-long Twilight Zone episodes.  I always wondered what Brando himself thought about that episode, if he ever saw it. Self-deprecating humor is not synonymous with Brando, but he was a good sport in The Freshman, so who knows?  I wonder if Burt and Marlon ever crossed paths.  I'm pretty sure they never did professionally.  

Anyway, good answer, Shutoo. The thread is yours. 

This actress began her career in small dramatic parts in early prestigious series including Playhouse 90 and Kraft Theater. She showed her comedic talents in a memorable guest spot as a wacky fortune teller in the Bronx in a popular early 60's sitcom.

Shutoo, this is just a guess, but I'll try Maureen Stapleton on Car 54, Where

Are You?

Aww, you're right..and I didn't get to use my 'she won an Oscar, Emmy and Tony' clue..had a terrible anniversary at the Plaza..oh well..

Yeah Terrence 1--your thread!

Thanks, Shutoo. I remember the first time I saw this episode. I had never seen Ms. Stapleton in a comedy role. I think this was when she was just starting to make a name for herself in the movies. That was a good question.

Let's try this one: A phony faith healer comes into a town and attracts the attention of the daughter of a wealthy family.

Since I'll be travelling for the next few days, I'm going to go ahead with the answer.  This was Robert Goulet playing the healer on The Big Valley.

Thread open.