Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pre-code grooving this week!!!!

Wow!!! TCM rocks the house!!!

Monday evening---prime time, can you dig it???

PENTHOUSE, one of my favorite pre-code films, relatively rare in terms of airing frequency, starring Warner Baxter and Myrna Loy! Love this flick!

Followed by my main man, Warren William in another very rarely aired flick, SKYSCRAPER SOULS!!! With Maureen O'Sullivan and Wally Ford, I totally dig this flick also! Haven't seen it in ages!

Later that night, FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG---TCM airs this one fairly often, but still a riveting and powerful film, always a great watch!

Then, on Wednesday, TCM is honoring Carole Lombard all throughout the day, and most of the flix will be pre-code!!!

NO MORE ORCHIDS with Lyle Talbot, VIRTUE (a recent fave) with Pat O'Brien, LADY BY CHOICE with May Robson, THE GAY BRIDE with Chester Morris (love this one too!), and the classic TWENTIETH CENTURY with the legendary John Barrymore!

And as if that wasn't enough to rock your socks, check out Friday, leading it off with another rare film, THE CRIMINAL CODE, with Walter Huston! That bro did some really hardcore flix back in the pre-code era!

While not pre-code, I'll include a shout out for BARBARY COAST from 1935, a very, very rare Eddie G. Robinson flick, with Miriam Hopkins! As well as COME AND GET IT, from 1936, with Edward Arnold and Frances Farmer!

I'm sure there were a few I missed on the schedule, but TCM is outta control this week! Totally groovy week!

Please add me to the list of groovers! I been discovering some pretty good pre-codes over the years thanks to TCM. Even the ones I don't really care for, I watch because of the dialog....it's amazing what racy stuff was said, and how the Hays Code put that type of edginess on hold not to return to films until the late 50s (and that edginess in scripts was sooooo needed in noir!)

> {quote:title=sewannie wrote:}{quote}

> I'm groovin' too. I love when a pre-code gets the primetime spotlight!

>

> As usual, my problem is too many movies to see, not enough hours in the day (or free time) to see them.

Sewannie, totally agree on all counts!!! I wish I could get paid to watch classic movies on TCM! Is there an opening for that??? :)

Love, I agree! The dialogue is amazing, and very, very edgy! Even in some flix don't have crime or gangster or detective elements (my favorites), they are always entertaining---and I do love the hard-boiled and social commentary flix too!

I think you will love all the flix on Monday as they are all very intense and hard-hitting...and who can't dig on Warren William??? The man ooozes pre-code naughtiness!!! :)

And some of the Carole Lombard films are either crime-related, or very, very on the edge with prostitution and other elements that were verboten after the enforcement of the code. And some of them are just darn funny and racy! :)

Thanks to all who are sharing in the groove! I can't wait! :) And thanks to TCM!

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> Groove on, my friend. I'm anxious for PENTHOUSE, too. I don't know if I'll enjoy Lombard's early films...I don't feel she hit her stride till the middle of the 30s. Hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised!

I think you will be. "Virtue" may be Lombard's best performance prior to "Twentieth Century" (the other might be "No Man Of Her Own," not on Wednesday's schedule, where she sparkles in the first half but the film deteriorates in the second). "No More Orchids" isn't quite up to that level, but it has its moments, and Walter Connolly, as her father, is always welcome (he's also in "Lady By Choice," portraying a judge).

Say what you will about Harry Cohn; Lombard was one of the few actresses who got along well with him, and the films she made at Columbia on the whole were more suited for her talents than those she made at her home base of Paramount. There, she was deemed rather interchangeable, and it wasn't until Ernst Lubitsch briefly became head of production that Carole was at last given films worthy of her.

Also looking forward to Loy in "Penthouse," one of the films that enabled her to move from playing vamps and Asians into multi-dimensional characters.

It's good you mention VIRTUE...it's the one I was slightly curious about, since it costars Pat O'Brien. If anything, it will be fun to watch their two acting styles together on film. I am not much of a fan of 20TH CENTURY, but that's because I'm not much of a John Barrymore fan. I find the film to a bunch of loud-mouthed screaming, trying too hard to be funny, getting few genuine laughs.

I recorded NO MAN OF HER OWN and LADY BY CHOICE from TCM two summers ago when Carole had a SUTS tribute. I don't think I've seen either one of them back on the schedule. I also managed to get FOOLS FOR SCANDAL (which has been rebroadcast) and SWING HIGH SWING LOW. Earlier this summer, VIGIL IN THE NIGHT aired, and I was glad to get that one recorded. Aside from the more well-known screwball comedies she did, a lot of her films have not been released on DVD, especially her dramas.

Another vote for Virtue. If it was a WB film it would be much better known today. She and Pat O'Brien were surprisingly good together.

For anyone not aware of it, Universal did put out a really nice set for her a few years back...

Carole Lombard - The Glamour Collection (Hands Across the Table/ Love Before Breakfast/ Man of the World/ The Princess Comes Across/ True Confession/ We're Not Dressing)

Hands Across the Table, and The Princess Comes Across being the best of the films, IMHO, but all are worth seeing... I see some 2 resellers there has the set new for $8.83! That's less than 2 bucks a film even with shipping!

*"Really digging watching PENTHOUSE this evening! I dig on Warner Baxter, love Mae Clarke, and Myrna of course! So many great actors and character actors in this flick!"* - markbeckuaf

Hi buddy.

I just got in from work. How was Leonard Maltin's intro to the film? While I'm sure he didn't call it the 'bomb-diggity", I hope we was appropriately exciting.

(I do like that he paired a "Skyscaper" with a "Penthouse". Very cute double feature.)

Kyle In Hollywood

Hey Kyle, my man! It was a good intro, he said that he thought both of these next two films felt like WB flix rather than MGM, in that they both have some grit. He also mentioned some things about being able to continually discover films from the 30's, where a lot of activity was going on--and gave kudos to TCM for helping him do that. And also talked up the pre-code era! I dug it!

Has Warren William ever had a SUTS day? If not...he's due. To me, he remains the great 'undiscovered' male star of the Pre-Code era (not here, of course, but in general). PENTHOUSE was terriffic; loved the way Myrna Loy tossed off those racy lines. SKYSCRAPER SOULS is one of my favorite Pre-Codes, period. I still get the chills when the safe closes on "Slim," and "Myrna" decides to just let him die in there. And Anita Page was a hoot. (Hersholt: "I'm in a very old profession." Page: "So am I!") Looking forward to the Lombard flicks tomorrow.

-Arch

WOW!!! Saw "Skyscraper Souls" for the first time last night! (Accidentally missed it when TCM showed it 2 summers ago, & I've been bitching about it ever since!) ULTRA Pre-Code....I'd say it's right up there with "Red Dust"! "Skyscraper Souls", however, is SO RELEVANT to today's times, especially with the manipulation of the Stock Market, that this movie could have just as well been

made THIS YEAR!

I really liked the things Maltin had to say about both films, especially re: Warner Baxter. Apparently he made *Penthouse* right after 42nd Street. Baxter, I think, had a lot of personal problems but he was at the top of his game in both films. This was about my 4th time to see *Penthouse*, and while it's not quite as racy as *Skyscraper Souls*, it's still a corker. I loved Myrna in it as well as the supporting cast that included Nat Pendleton (great role for him), Charles Butterworth and how great did Mae Clarke look in her brief role.

Helen, I agree with you! I loved Maltin's choices and his commentaries with Robert Osborne--what a great duo to introduce these great films!!!

PENTHOUSE had a great cast, and wow, I fell in love with Myrna Loy all over again! Agree also about Mae Clarke one of my faves from the pre-code era! And I totally dig Warner Baxter! He seems, to me, stuck in the silent and pre-code era, though I love watching his later films too--but when I do, I always think of him as a 20's/30's man! One of the reasons I'd love to see his run as "The Crime Doctor" in that Columbia series, I love watching him do his thing!

SKYSCRAPER SOULS...what a GREAT film!

I'm also looking forward to the Lombard films tomorrow...and those great pre-code and rarities on Friday too!!! TCM is rocking the house up in here!

When I watched Bob O and Leonard Maltin, I felt like I was eavesdropping on two old friends having a good time! I really enjoyed the intros and outros although through a glitch, I deleted SKYSCRAPER SOULS by accident. My dad isn't a classic movie buff, but he loves a good western or Myrna Loy. I called him and told him his favorite vamp was on in prime time. He expected to see William Powell as well, but nonetheless, he was grooving too!

Anyone else groove to Carole's flix today??? THE TWENTIETH CENTURY was half-way over when I got home, and finished that up, now watching THE GAY BRIDE! I've seen all these before, but I'll be looking forward to re-visiting VIRTUE later on also!