Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A war film banned from showing in military theaters...

The true story of Pat Tillman's friendly fire death (The Tillman Story) has been banned by the Department of Defense in military base theaters for the obvious reason that our military does not want future recruits to know that they may be killed by a trigger-happy comrade. Hollywood has made very few friendly fire movies... the last one in 1981 for TV called "Friendly Fire" (starring Carole Burnett) about an incident that occurred in Vietnam (1970). I know that incident well because my unit was the subject of that FF attack. But the larger story is what movies should be aired on military bases. Personally, I think it would be great if every military base was hooked up to a special TCM Military Movie link that played all of the older war movies of the 1950's through the 1980's. I think today's military kids who watch these timeless classics will be educated on the best and finest morals, principles and ethics taught by wonderful actors -- many of whom served in battle -- and viewing them would go a long way to reducing -- if not ending -- military suicides, war crimes, drug use and performance failures.

Having served in war and raised on old war movies, that's my idea.

-- Phill

http://www.americanwarlibrary.com/a44/pcole.htm