Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Battle of the Barrymores

Guest Alix

Guest K, Sandy

moira, I haven't seen PORTRAIT OF JENNIE, but my mother has mentioned several times how much she liked it, so I should probably check it out. My mother was 17 when she saw it(on it's first release!), so we'll see what my jaded 30-something self thinks of it! lol!

Guest K, Sandy

Tonight, Monday Oct. 7 at 12:30 AM Est (actually early Tuesday morning) TCM will be showing TOPAZE with John Barrymore. A note to Moira and Jeane--it's based on a play by Marcel Pagnol! Of course, you both probably knew that already...

Guest finnie12, moira

Merci beaucoup, Sandy K! I'll warm up the vcr and start hunting for a blank tape!! Long live Pagnol!--and the crazy Barrymores. With all the great Barrymore movies that TCM is showing this month, I'm going to have enough good movies on tape for the coming winter...like you, Sandy, I find that real life does take precedence over our love of classic movies...so I'm storing them up for the future. P.S. I love your posts about musicals. They are great--informative and entertaining and you make me hope for the best for the upcoming release of "Chicago".

Guest Lyndsey

I saw that last night, and it was really cute. John Barrymore's character was so lovable and sweet. The only thing I didn't really appreciate was the whole no romance thing. You know that lovely Myrna Loy has something for John, but you never get to see any solid proof (with the exception of the final scene). It would've been sooo cute to see a little kiss here and there. I am such a romantic fool, I swear!

My kids absolutely LOVE this movie! I bought it a year or so ago after it was released to video, and I have no earthly idea why, but they love it! I think they like the naughtly Charlamaine de la Tour la Tour. They even quote lines from it: The Baron: Topaze or not Topaze, that is the question? Baroness: You'll drive me maaaaaaaad with your leavity! Then they quote Charlamaine's impassioned speech about the Punic Wars..."First came the First Punic War....The first Punic War was followed by the Second Punic War....the Second Punic War was followed by the Third Punic War..." Barrymore is excellent in this movie, and like you I wished he and Loy had shared more than a taxi!

Guest jeanecooper

Dear Sandy K.- Thanks for the heads up - but I was in "no TCM land" and missed it (again). Well that's the lot of an old movie lover - there's at least one film that got away to catch another day. Hope springs eternal.

Guest Dan, Coffee

I love TOPAZE! John Barrymore said in an interview near the end of his life that TOPAZE was his favorite among his own films. It's not hard to see why. He is very effectively cast against type, and gives a very restrained performance. I think that, deep down, Barrymore wanted very much to be like Topaze, and that's why it's so good. TOPAZE is also one of the most leisurely paced films I have ever seen, thanks to Harry D'Arrast's direction. Every time I watch this movie, I feel like I've just had a vacation.

• 1 month later...
Guest finnie12, moira

Heads Up, Lionel fans---TCM is showing a batch of seldom seen Lionel Barrymore films beginning at 8PM eastern on Sunday, Nov. 17th. Here are the sceduled movies: 8:00 PM Should Ladies Behave? (1933) A young girl falls for her aunt's lover. Alice Brady, Lionel Barrymore, Conway Tearle. D: Harry Beaumont. BW 87m. 9:30 PM David Copperfield (1935) Charles Dickens's classic tale of an orphaned boy's fight for happiness and the colorful characters who help and hinder him. Freddie Bartholomew, W.C. Fields, Lionel Barrymore. D: George Cukor. BW 130m. CC 12:00 AM West Of Zanzibar (1928) A mad African dictator plots revenge on the trader who stole his wife. Lon Chaney, Lionel Barrymore, Warner Baxter. D: Tod Browning. BW 65m. 1:15 AM The Mysterious Island (1929) A scientist builds an underwater ship to search for a legendary race of fish men. Lionel Barrymore, Jane Daly, Lloyd Hughes. D: Maurice Tourneur. 95m. 3:00 AM Dr. Kildare's Crisis (1940) A young doctor's marriage could be called off when the bride's brother is diagnosed with epilepsy. Lew Ayres, Lionel Barrymore, Robert Young. D: Harold S. Bucquet. BW 75m. 4:15 AM Dr. Kildare's Victory (1942) A young doctor with a broken heart succumbs to the lure of a socialite. Lew Ayres, Lionel Barrymore, Ann Ayars. D: W.S. Van Dyke II. BW 93m.