Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MyFavoriteFilms

Classics for kids

the sound quality of older films make it tough for her to understand

I know the feeling. The older I get, the more I miss! I have a portable DVD player, with earphones. For video, I actually prefer that to TV! It's stereo, for Heaven's sake!

She really liked TARANTULA and we just saw IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE in 3D.

I loved that stuff when I was young. Times were different. Technology wasn't an issue. But kids are kids. Some things never change.

One film that I absolutely loved as a kid and still do: *A Christmas Carol*, the 1951 Alistair Sim version.

(It is not called *Scrooge* ; I think other versions are.)

Every Christmas eve, for years, starting when I was a little kid and on into adulthood, my family would watch this wonderful classic Christmas film with delight and chocolates, usually on Christmas Eve. It was one of my father's absolute favourite films. We all knew almost all the lines of dialogue in it by heart, and we used to have fun quoting them as soon as they came up in the movie. (One of my favourites: Scrooge to the Undertaker: "Hmph! You don't believe in letting the grass grow under your feet, do you?" Undertaker, placatingly: "Ours' is a highly competitive profession, sir."

Anyway, it's a great film, the acting, the black and white cinematography, the "message", and don't forget the truly scary ghost scene. Only problem is, of course you can only watch it once a year.

I agree...the 1951 British version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL is probably the best. I love MGM's version from the 30s, but I feel that the story is a bit more fleshed out in the second film.

Bing's singing is my favorite part of the Road movies. :D

But it is fantastic you are exposing your teenager to classic movies. Even if she doesn't completely appreciate them now I think she will be more susceptible when she is older.

I don't know why but when I was a a kid (younger than 13 though) I was terrified of Secret Garden. I guess I was a strange kid.

I know we've discussed the OUR GANG comedies in the banning thread (memba that...LOL). I don't know how many of these would work with kids today. Though I do think the feature length GENERAL SPANKY might be okay...

Meanwhile, I don't think the THREE STOOGES would really cut it. Of course, I could be wrong.

And then there are the three PENROD films made with the Mauch twins. The series does not hold up very well but the stories do provide a glimpse into the lives of young boys in the late 30s.

However, the Mauchs are definitely worth seeing with Errol Flynn and Claude Rains in THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER.

There is a version of "Heidi" (1953) that people don't think (or know about) starring a virtually unknown child star Elsbeth Sigmund. There is both a German and English dubbed versions. It was remade in 1965 in color but is not available at present in English (referring to the 1965 color film).

1615.jpg

I think the Alistair Sim film actually was called SCROOGE in England. The title even turns up on the credits. I've never seen a bad adaptation of this Christmas tale, but this one is the ultimate. Exceptional acting on all counts.

I found a version of the movie "Scrooge" (1935) starring Seymour Hicks, I don't remember ever seeing it before. Is he the first scary Scrooge?

scrooge1.jpg

christ12.jpg

You are correct about the UK version of "A Christmas Carol" (1951) titled "Scrooge"

scrooge-cover-3.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 9, 2010 9:16 PM

The first scary Scrooge, perhaps. But nowhere near as scary as Mr. McGoo playing Scrooge...

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> I'd add *Captain Horatio Hornblower* to the kid-friendly film list.

I agree. And overall a good film.

That name Hornblower always gives me a chuckle. (did he ever got teased as a kid, Lol)

images.php?imageid=1102&size=full

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 9, 2010 9:33 PM

I've read that the name "Hornblower" was inspired by producer Arthur Hornblow, who did NOT produce this film. I guess C. S. Forester was just taken with the name.

Wow, Captain's Paradise? That is one awesome kid! I now wish I thought of the road movies.

I'd like to second HamRadio's suggestion of those great Burnett adaptations from the 90s. The Little Princess from the 90s is an especially superior-to-the-original film. Compelling storytelling, beautiful art direction, captivating score. I adored it as a kid, and the 90s Secret Garden.

While newer than some of the films and actors listed here, don't forget the Don Knotts films. Most of his are family friendly and of course have lots of comedy. Also, don't forget there are quite a few early live action Disney films that young children enjoy.

I was trying to stay away from Disney live action in this discussion. Several of them are remakes of old RKO and MGM films (POLLYANNA is a remake of an earlier Mary Pickford classic). Most of the originals are better. And with the exception of a venture like THOSE CALLOWAYS, the production values do not hold up well...they seem to be made on the cheap. Disney's live action unit was not exactly an A studio...it was a B+/A- studio that swam in the big leagues occasionally (MARY POPPINS).

The problem I have specifically with Don Knotts' work is that he never played a father. Not even on television. He lacks range...though he is very skilled at what he does do.

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> Wow, Captain's Paradise? That is one awesome kid! I now wish I thought of the road movies.

Yeah, she's on her way to becoming a true Cinefile. I was amazed she laughed at so much of it, especially the flipping photo. Next week we see THE UNDYING MONSTER (42) & THE RAVEN (35)

She is fascinated by bigger than life crazy women charactors like Betty Hutton, Rosalind Russell & Carmen Miranda.

We treated her to LEGENDS OF FLIGHT in 3D at the Imax theater this weekend, since we both share love of flying. (I thought it was horrible) Afterwards, I said, "How did you like it?" and her only comment was, "The 3D effects were really good."

Smart kid. She obviously recognised the "story" was lame but didn't want to hurt my feelings after shelling out the dough.

Disney's live action unit was not exactly an A studio...it was a B/A- studio that swam in the big leagues occasionally (MARY POPPINS).+

MARY POPPINS is my favorite. DAVY CROCKETT is quite good, made for TV though it was. I like OLD YELLER, 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA. BABES IN TOYLAND for the very young. But you're right. Live action is not where you see the greatness the studio is remembered for.