Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
zasupittsfan

ZaSu Pitts was the best Hildagarde Withers ever!

Even Helen Broderick is preferable.

ZaSu, I think you are standing in quicksand and sinking fast. You think she is better than Oliver. You don't think Buster Keaton or Abbott & Costello are funny. And you think Bud Cort is important.

And you worship ZaSu like JohnBabe loves Garbo.

When are you going to drop the mask, laugh at everyone, and say, "Just kidding, folks!"?

*Even Helen Broderick is preferable.*

Clore, you have no idea how close I came to adding those very words to my initial post.

I have no particular dislike of Pitts. I appreciate her work in a nymber of films. But she is a disaster as Hildegarde Withers. It's no wonder the series ended after her turn.

I wonder if Helen Broderick was beginning to feel a bit of a complex. In WE'RE ON THE JURY, she had the role originated by Edna May Oliver in LADIES OF THE JURY.

I liked ZaSu Pitts in certain roles - I grew up with her on THE GALE STORM SHOW. But her blithering ninny gets a bit tiresome. She was originally cast as Lew Ayres' mother in ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT, but the reactions of preview audiences had Universal reshot the scenes with Beryl Mercer.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> But her blithering ninny gets a bit tiresome.

That's the way I feel. It's like being around Olive Oyl all the time. "Oh, dear."

> {quote:title=zasupittsfan wrote:}{quote}

> ZaSu Pitts rules this school! Deal with it!

Sorry, hon. But Patsy Kelly was a better team mate for Thelma Todd.

I certainly don't think Pitts came near Oliver as Withers. But I was very pleasantly surprised by FORTY NAUGHTY GIRLS as a picture.