Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did Gloria Stuart Even Get A TCM Montage?

Okay so I know nobody cares about Gloria Stuart dying since Tony Curtis overshadowed it but jeez TCM have some class and give her a proper tribute!

She was in those Shirley Temple films and the Universal horror films. It's October..... come on now. :)

Give her a tribute!

She probably with be ignored since she did not work at MGM or Warners. There have been actors in the past who have not been mentioned with they pass away. I just rewatched recently the Prisoner of Shark Island, where she played Warner Baxter's wife and she did a respectable job, with a Southern Accent to boot.

James Whitmore...

Richard Widmark...

There are others. And if classic stars die in December, they hardly ever count because TCM REMEMBERS only appears to cover January-thru-November - the 11-month year. I've never quite understood the urgency to finish a "Year Long Tribute" execise with only the first 11 months. A shame.

Wow, Richard Widmark didn't get one? I remember being very busy and on the road when he passed.

Does anyone know why exactly some people don't get a TCM Remembers montage? I have always wondered this. I mean wow, Arthur Penn got one and he doesn't even have a huge body of Hollywood work.

Does it have something to do with the availability of rights to use the film clips so last minute? I was quite surprised and expected to see one for Gloria Stuart. I know she wasn't a major star, but most TCM lovers know who she is and have seen her in films (or would like to see more of her films on the channel). I'll be honest, I mainly wanted to see her dates of birth shown "1910 - 2010" which is an achievement in itself.

*Does it have something to do with the availability of rights to use the film clips so last minute?*

More than likely. Trying to get rights to movies or clips from the film on such short notice is usually quite difficult and often studios aren't able to clear the rights that quickly.

*I'm not so sure about that. I think that showing clips in that situation would be considered "fair use," but that's just a guess on my part.*

TCM has indicated in the past that they have the clear the rights for the clips so "fair use" may not apply,

Richard Widmark got one, although I don't think it used any of his Fox movies.

In fact, I didn't learn of Widmark's death until I saw the TCM Remembers montage.

Arthur Penn was notable because he broke away from the typical Hollywood productions, and created a style that is taken for granted today. Bonnie and Clyde was a break out in script and casting (and made Faye Dunaway a star), even though I do not particularly like the film. It also created a love for the anti-hero that became prevalent in movie scripts there after.

Mr. Penn also directed two of my favorites and excellent movies, The Train with Burt Lancaster and Paul Scofield; and The Miracle Worker with Patty Duke and Anne Bancroft (which also boosted her career).

So Mr. Penn was a major player in Hollywood and well respected in the wider circle.

Fedya, thank you for mentioning that. Part of my shock in Richard Widmark not getting one was that he's been in so many non-Fox movies that get played on TCM. So I am so glad he did receive one. I do have to mention that I'm sure it would have been better showing clips of his in KISS OF DEATH, PICK UP ON SOUTH STREET, DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK, THE LAST WAGON and SLATTERY'S HURRICANE....I really wish that "fair use" did apply.

DLTO, I really should rephrase what I said since I definitely think Arthur Penn deserved one (and it was great seeing clips of all those great films) but I was actually more surprised to see he had one and Gloria Stuart didn't. I was surprised there wasn't something TCM had the rights to that featured Ms Stuart. Fox who has most of her movies, did nothing on their channel or website.....then again, now that I remember, Sydney Pollack got one too and he's had a great body of work. Geesh, I love TCM.

TCM did not even acknowledge her 100th birthday in July. Not one Gloria Stuart film was played on her birthday, July 4th.

But in January when Luise Rainer turned 100, there was an entire day of her films. I love Luise Rainer, but I also think Gloria should not be overlooked.

• 3 weeks later...

Had Gloria passed away shortly after her triumph in TITANIC, they would have been falling all over themselves to assemble a tribute, even if they had to resort to stills. I'm so disappointed in the decision makers at TCM over this slight. That said I feel certain that they opted to ignore her both on her birthday and passing due to lack of material in their own library. Outside of GOLDDIGGERS OF 1935 and her first film, STREET OF WOMEN, what else do they own? They simply cheaped out and didn't want to have to pay out to Universal and Fox to use clips from her films. 'Be curious to see if she turns up on TCM Remembers.

I've thought about this. It's a problem. But in a way, it's a good problem.

I think Gloria became a modern movie star after TITANIC and the string of films she did after TITANIC. She became 'new' again. And as a result, she sort of lost some of her classic old Hollywood status.

So not honoring her is sort of like if Emma Thompson or Julia Roberts died. TCM would not do a tribute for them either, because they're too 'new.' LOL

> {quote:title=BixB wrote:}{quote}

> Outside of GOLDDIGGERS OF 1935 and her first film, STREET OF WOMEN, what else do they own?

>

When you ask "What else do they own?" I assume you mean Warner Bros. and RKO Radio Pictures that are usually easier for TCM to access than Universal and Fox Pictures are.

In addition to the two you mentioned, Gloria Stuart also starred in these two Warner Bros. Pictures:

"Here Comes the Navy" (1934)

"Maybe It's Love" (1935)

And she appeared in the following RKO Radio Pictures:

"Sweepings" (1933)

"Wanted: Jane Turner" (1936)

She also starred in the 1935 RKO Radio Picture "Laddie" but that one unfortunately is not available to TV and so has not and probably will not ever be shown on TCM.

TCM doesn't own anything. Everything they show must be leased. Even from its own parent company there is nothing coming for free or sitting in the back room. Even the original library of MGM, RKO and pre1949 WB pictures now have to be leased.

There have been quite a number of great questions regarding why TCM did not do an individual montage devoted to Gloria Stuart.

A number of questions go into the decision-making whenever a star or director or whomever passes away:

1. Is the deceased important enough to warrant one? In Arthur Penn's case, TCM decided that he was since he was huge influence to the New Hollywood of the 1970s with such classics as The Miracle Worker and Bonnie & Clyde.

2. Do we have the necessary edit time and budget to make a montage? Often times, these players and directors pass away at a time when there are a plethora of other projects going on, like promos and other pieces supporting "Moguls & Movie Stars". So if the deceased is on the fence, so to speak, between yes or no in importance, then this question really comes into play. These montages are made with careful consideration and due diligence.

3. Are there enough films available for us to make a stirring montage? In Ms. Stuart's case, many of her films are not available to us, not necessarily because we don't have the rights (we do use a films we don't own or have license to, thanks to the fair use doctrine) but because we literally do not have in-house masters or even DVDs from which to use good quality images. And if we do, we need to have enough good shots--close-ups, memorable quotes, or any scene that features the actor/actress prominently--in order to make a quality montage.

4. Finally, the final decision rests on the decision-makers at TCM. The people in charge may very well have wanted to make an obit for Ms. Stuart, but the factors above may have swayed their decision.

All of us take the job very seriously of remembering our Hollywood greats. It's part of what makes TCM special for you and for us. We wish we could have given Ms. Stuart and a number of other notables that have passed that special treatment, but we are happy to have the opportunity to place her prominently in the year end memorial.

*I think a cheaply produced (yet still classy) obit can be made using still photographs and other news clippings from the performer's career.*

If it means so much to you, why not create "a cheaply produced (yet still classy) obit" and post it on Youtube?

I can't imagine that she won't be included in the end of year memoriam, *TCM Remembers*.

Edited by: lzcutter on Oct 29, 2010 7:41 PM

*"All of us take the job very seriously of remembering our Hollywood greats. It's part of what makes TCM special for you and for us. We wish we could have given Ms. Stuart and a number of other notables that have passed that special treatment, but we are happy to have the opportunity to place her prominently in the year end memorial."* - TCMOnAirPromotions

Wow! Thanks for chiming in. It is always wonderful when a TCM rep takes the time to address the concerns of this membership.

And while you're here, may I also offer a "Bravo!" on the promos for "Moguls And Movie Stars" this month and all the new 2011 TCM Film Festival materials (if those are also from your department) that have been appearing on the channel of late. I really liked the animation intro for the SUTS materials this year too.

Now, get back to work on the year-end "TCM Remembers". You're biggest audience of the year is eagerly awaiting for the staff to "wow" them yet again.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=TCMOnAirPromotions wrote:}{quote}

> 3. Are there enough films available for us to make a stirring montage? In Ms. Stuart's case, many of her films are not available to us, not necessarily because we don't have the rights *(we do use a films we don't own or have license to, thanks to the fair use doctrine)* but because we literally do not have in-house masters or even DVDs from which to use good quality images.

I thought that the "fair use doctrine" would let you use what you wanted, but in another thread, another poster said I was wrong. But, you obviously can's use it, if you can't get it. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

*I thought that the "fair use doctrine" would let you use what you wanted, but in another thread, another poster said I was wrong*

I think that was me and I think I said I wasn't sure if the "fair use doctrine" could be applied to TCM.

It's good to know it is used.