Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone, I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Nikki, I'm a college senior from upstate NY and die hard classic movie fan. I guess it all started when I saw my first Shirley Temple movies when I was a little girl. From there it grew to a love of all classic film as I got older. It is a passion I share with my mom and grandmother, something that brings us together when there's a really good one on. I also like contemporary film, but at the end of the day i'm drawn back to the classics.

Some of my favorites include: Hitchcock, Vincent Price, Rogers and Hammerstein, big budget MGM musicals, Myrna Loy, Shirley Temple, Grace Kelly, Bob Hope, Ingrid Bergman, Julie Andrews, Carey Grant, Rosemary Clooney (a huge favorite), and Bing Crosby, plus my most favorite actress of all time, Judy Garland.

Favorite films include: White Christmas, Meet me in St. Louis, The Clock (and everything else Judy), Singing in the Rain, Notorious, Annie Hall, The Tingler and Nosforatu.

Anyway, I hope to post often and have some great conversations with others who share my passion!

Hey balletstar86! Delighted to have another Hitchcock fan aboard! I know you will enjoy these boards as much as I do.

P.S. I just heard Rosemary's The Last Concert CD. It is fabulous! I think its amazing that she still sounded so great even at the end of her life. Brava Rosie!

Hi balletstar86, I hope you don't mind but I thought i'd use your post to introduce myself as well. I'm new to the board and just wanted to say hello to everyone. Like everyone else here I'm a lover of the classics, mention a film and I can go on for hours.

Picking favorites is next to impossible for me but I do have to mention I'm a huge Donald O'Connor fan.

As for myself I'm also a college student and I currently live in Florida.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! Since there doesn't seem to be an FAQ, I have some questions about these forums that hopefully you all can answer for me. I belong to another board that is heavily moderated and there are a lot of rules about posting, etc. What kinds of restrictions, if any, are here? Any rules against flaming, harassment, trolling, spamming, etc? How "off topic" is too off topic? Things like that. Thank you!

Hi balletstar and filmnevar - It's great to see other people around my own age who love classics as much as I do. "Notorious" is one of my favorites too - along with "Rebecca" and "Vertigo," they're Hitchcock's best films in my opinion. We have a lot of great conversations here, and everyone who posts is pretty knowledgeable about classics - it's a great hang out for us fans that you really can't find anywhere else.

As for rules - there really aren't any except for no profanity. Have fun - and once again WELCOME!

Hi Balletstar! I'm new to the TCM threads too. Since Judy Garland is your favorite this must be a pretty good day to watch TCM. I like Astaire very much so I'm looking forward to seeing 'Easter Parade' tonight. Obviously I like Italian movies a lot. I'm waiting for the repeat of La Strada. Hope you have a good time on the threads. It's always very interesting to read everybody's opinions and information on certain actors.

"just for the record", Joe, not all of us (or at least one of us not) consider ourselves 'pretty knowledgeable' about classic movies. I love 'em, but claim little knowledge, especially that I can remember anyway.

I mention this mostly so no one will feel 'inadequate' posting here. But also, if Joe is mostly right, sure would be fun to have more of you regularly responding to the three ongoing triva threads in the trivia forum! ;) Two of them are restarted weekly, the other is over a year old now, where folks try to guess what a classic movie is from clues provided, and the winner becomes the next 'MC'. The weekly ones are self-explanatory. For the ongoing one, check out the very first post on the thread to be sure you understand.

Oh, and welcome to our newest participants, too!

Ike

I didn't mean to imply that everyone knows all about classic film, but only that we all share a great love for it, and therefore have some really great conversations. That's why I said "pretty" knowledgeable - because there are some people that post here who really know a lot, and others who may not know as much, but share the interest. I think I'm in the middle someplace.

But one thing is for sure - everyone gets along really well here. I don't think there are many other message boards out there that have as great a group of people as this one.

I quite agree Joe, and I apologize if I misworded my response so as to sound as if I were criticizing you... no criticism was intended, but I fear it sorta sounds that way even to me when I reread it. And it's so true that most everyone who posts here is in love with classic movies, and a bunch of the folks, unlike me, really know their stuff!

Ike

hi! welcome to TCM! wow that sounded like one of the automatic emails they send out. since i have just discovered these message boards, but have been a classic movie fan for years, i thought i would introduce myself as well. i just started my freshman year in high school. i would tell you guys my name but my dad would get mad. u can call me sugar like in some like it hot. although it may seem that i am young to be a classic movie fan, trust me i know a bunch of things that my grandparents who were alive at that time dont know. i am planning to go to FIT and become a fashion designer, but if that doesnt work out i will go to some other college and major in film history. i am totally obsessed with frank sinatra...all my friends think im crazy. my fav movies are fred and ginger movies, cary grant, katharine hepburn, jimmy stewart, debbie reynolds, and if i go on any more ya'll will get bored. if you are bored and want to talk sometime my AIM sn is BabieMac90

:)

Hey designerchic - welcome to the boards. Sinatra's one of my favorites too - not only was he the greatest singer but he could act really well. Have you ever seen him in "Suddenly"? - he's awesome in that. But my favorite of his is "On the Town" - that's one of my all time favorite movies. And btw, you'll love New York when you start going to FIT - it's the greatest city in the world, and there's alot of great theaters and museums that show classic films here.

heyyyyyy designerchic wELcOme! I am a sophmore in highschool and I am also obsessed with Frank Sinatra I have pictures and posters of him all over my room, and an autographed picture of him my ex-boyfriend got me,(I kept it still) lol...I am very interested in studying film history in college and like someone else said that new york is great..I wish soooo badly I lived there and Ive never even been there but it seems so amazing..

welcome again.

-phoebe