Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
edgeciff

DEANNA DURBIN SET

This is a thoroughly delightful collection of 5 of Durbin's films made at Universal. I already own the first set of Durbin's films which was released several years ago. All five of the films in the set are new to me. Each film is encased on its own disc in a digipack fold out jacket. The quality of each of the prints are quite good, Robert Osborne does a short introduction to each film and each disc has a good selection of stills and posters and a short article about each of the films. One revelation is that producer Joe Pasternak who nurtured Durbin's career at Universal tried to lure the actress out of retirement to play in MGM's KISS ME KATE. Hopefully, TCM/Universal follows through with another set since there are at least 10 other Durbin films yet to be released on DVD.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Oct 17, 2010 11:04 PM

I like it a lot, too. The set was a real bargain and well worth the money I spent for it.

As for any criticisms I had, I thought it was a nice idea to include an interview with Joe Pasternak's brother, but I wasn't too impressed with the interview itself which I thought was sort of sloppily conducted, and John Pasternak didn't seem to know much about the history Deanna had with his brother.

I also wish they had included some of the "extras" they had on the VHS releases, including the "It's a Big Wide Wodnerful World" number cut from FOR THE LOVE OF MARY and some of the "Coming Attractions" trailers.

But these are minor reservations. The quality of the films and the discs are excellent, which is what really counts, and the "extras" they include are interesting and nice to have. I've read that originally the discs were supposed to be DVD-R, but, due to the large number of pre-orders for the set, TCM decided to go all out with pressed discs.

I'm glad they did and it bodes well for a future release of more Durbin films.