Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A poll I want you to take

I graduated from high school in 1983, and I am a HUGE fan of classic music videos. I think the first ones came in the 70s before MTV hit, but I know some of the people on this forum think that the first videos are actually musical numbers, but that is something I'll never know why. Anyway, how many of you think that classic musicals qualify as videos?

Interesting question. I'm not sure I have the answer for you, but I will say that I do NOT consider a musical feature film to be a music video. However, I've seen several musical shorts on TCM and elsewhere that are simply a band or orchestra performing a song. To me, today's music videos are really what we used to call short subjects. It's just that we watch them on tv now, instead of in the movie theatre.

Sandy K

Sounds a bit like a semantic argument to me. I loved videos when I first noticed them in the 1980s, but didn't really think, "Oh, those are in the tradition of the soundies and Vitaphone shorts." I rarely hear the earlier form of "recording with picture" referred to as a video. But they are all in the same vein.

I would also note that videos tend to be more abstract, less straightforward presentations (though Vitaphones and their ilk were not without weirdness!).

I think the soundies were actually shown in bars and dance halls on a contraption not unlike a jukebox.

> I graduated from high school in 1983, and I am a HUGE

> fan of classic music videos. I think the first ones

> came in the 70s before MTV hit, but I know some of

> the people on this forum think that the first videos

> are actually musical numbers, but that is something

> I'll never know why. Anyway, how many of you think

> that classic musicals qualify as videos?

It depends if the term "video" means recorded onto film. I have seen a few very young Bing Crosby singing a song that was to sale him and the tune. In one of them, if I recall he is singing to several girls. Bing at the time was representing the "cool" of the times. Much like todays videos that are produced to promote an artist and the tune, just the attitude and technology are different.

i think that you guys (and dolls) are putting too much into this. A music video is not unlike a section of film explaining the emotion of the intended moment. A film just carries a lot more dialog to explain the intended circumstance. If you pull out a three minute montage from a Fred E. Ginger R. film it would not be much different than a lot of todays videos (other than the fact that todays videos SUCK) Just a different time I suppose.

Feeling Loopy

Eddie

• 2 weeks later...

i think that you guys (and dolls) are putting too much into this. A music video is not unlike a section of film explaining the emotion of the intended moment. A film just carries a lot more dialog to explain the intended circumstance. If you pull out a three minute montage from a Fred E. Ginger R. film it would not be much different than a lot of todays videos (other than the fact that todays videos SUCK) Just a different time I suppose.

W-R-O-N-G! Those segments don't even LOOK like a music video! Like I said, there are lots of idiots on here that actually think that a musical number, when standing alone, is a video. NO! A music video is intentionally designed for television with only one thing in mind: to promote the record.

Also, this whole board is terrible. Its time that everyone here gives up their love of the '30s and '40s (the two worst decades in everyway imaginable) and realize that the '80s was not a terrible decade. Now the '90s and today, on the other hand... :)

I do not think musical numbers are the same as music videos. They were never intended as a "stand alone" song & dance clip.

Gregelektric, I would imagine that being a fan of movies made between 1980 and 1989, TCM would be a bit of a downer for you, as they do not focus on your type of films. Happily for you, there is the AMC, FMC, IFC, and of course HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. How fortunate for those of us who do watch movies from 1920-1950 that TCM is able to program movies we enjoy!

Is it gregelektric, that started this baby? Not certain

Anyway, I know essentially what you mean-(although, I am just about to turn 40, I've always been "more of an old-guy!" & even at 14 or 15, loved Hollywoods Golden Age,etc)

My all-around favorite music is essentially 2-fold>1st *"The Chairman of the Board-Frank Sinatra"-(1915-98)-(P.S. I know a lot hate the guy, but dat is dat Charlie!) & 2nd-Motion Pcture Scores-(*Max Steiner, *J. Williams, *B. Herrmann, & Morricone & we can't 4-get OSCAR champ: *Alfred Newman-(9 wins!) Anyway, I recall in early '83 when MTV started. I mostly just liked the girls & not the music myself. But, I don't consider Movie-Msicals-(I'll wager Roger Ebert does though & I remember him speaking of jus this) However, I disagree with Ebert & don't consider them Music Videos-(they only are if they are shown in that fashion. Like the tremendous: "That's Entertainment," series!-(P.S. I know Fred Astaire would likely be spinning in his grave, via the comparison!)

Thank You

> I graduated from high school in 1983

Really?! ....

and I am a HUGE

> fan of classic music videos. I think the first ones

> came in the 70s before MTV hit, but I know some of

> the people on this forum think that the first videos

> are actually musical numbers, but that is something

> I'll never know why. Anyway, how many of you think

> that classic musicals qualify as videos?

No, I don't think classic musicals have much relation to videos. Videos just started out as advertisements designed to sell the records. The Super '70s and '60s vids on VH-1 Classic for examples were originally just commercials. Not even really meant to be aired full-length, probably.

but back in the 1940's, and maybe even a little earlier they had those short clips of a popular song, which were called Soundies I think.

You could play them out at joints through some type of jukebox like apparatus, and then see and hear the hits of the day. I'm sure we've all seen some of those which starred Duke Ellington and his band, shown between movies on TCM.

The much later concept of the music video, did not start just with MTV, as there were prerecorded promotional videos made of Top 40 songs back in the mid-60's, with things like the Troggs, who sang "Wild Thing", some psychedelic stuff created for the Beach Boys for "Good Vibrations" and some songs by the Beatles had videos made for them, which were shown occasionally.

So there were video type promotions done for songs pre-MTV, they just had limited venues to be seen as there was no 24 hour network for them.

That's my take. Most of what could be called a Soundie or 60's promo type thing were still created to drum up business for the song being sold, whether it be an acetate 78, a vinyl 45 or a much later cd.