Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
yougottabekidin

Favorite John Wayne brawls with at least a smidgen of comedy

Yes, I would have added McLintock! How about Trouble Along the Way ?

True, one of the fights is with Donna Reed, but he has to let her win... she's so much smaller.

It's been decades since I saw Donovan's Reef (1963) with John Wayne and Lee Marvin, but as I recall, there was a pretty good comedic brawl in that one.

Not really a brawl, but when Jimmy Stewart punches John Wayne in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

The War Wagon has an hysterical brawl scene.

Wayne is slugging everybody left and right, finally sits at a table to rest, then yells "Oh no!" as more come charging at him. Meanwhile, Howard Keel is pushing a piano through a window and Kirk Douglas is swinging from a chandelier.

In THE QUIET MAN, Wayne memorably mixed it up with Victor McLaglen, who was once a prize fighter who went six rounds with Jack Johnson and lived to tell the tale.

I certainly agree with the first two on the list "Brannigan" and "North to Alaska." Not only are they two of John Wayne's best brawls, they are two of the best brawls ever captured on celluloid. "Brannigan" is especially interesting, as it shows that the British can do a punch-up or brawl that is just as entertaining as anything we Americans can do. As for #4 "The Spoliers," I think for many years it was the longest brawl ever captured on celluloid.

Many "fights" to consider. No one mentioned *Sons of Katie Elder* yet, Duke and his brothers having a little disagreement. *Donovan's Reef* is the one that stands out for me, every year the Duke and Lee Marvin celebrate their birthdays (which are the same day by chance) by brawling. And then the "Limeys" show up to join the fun.

> {quote:title=faceinthecrowd wrote:}{quote}

> In THE QUIET MAN, Wayne memorably mixed it up with Victor McLaglen, who was once a prize fighter who went six rounds with Jack Johnson and lived to tell the tale.

Very funny fight--the betting, with the whole town following, including the bishop; the part where they stop for a drink, then start the fight over again over who will pay for the beer--very entertaining. LOL

That's one of my favorite John Wayne moments; they stop the fight for a drink, argue over who will pay, Duke gets a drink in the face, says "Bar towel", and WHAM!