Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Do They Have in Common?

Azure,

You're absolutely correct.  The actress is Barbara Bel Geddes. BTW, Barbara was the original "Maggie" in Tennessee Williams "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof". And of course, she will always be remembered for her role as "Miss Ellie" in the hit TV Series Drama "Dallas".

Great job. The thread is yours.

Also, GPF: Thanks for your info regarding Ava Gardner, however, although she co-starred with Gregory Peck in "The Great Sinner", Robert Preston was not in the film. Melvyn Douglas, Walter Huston and Frank Morgan were in the film along with Ethel Barrymore and Agnes Moorehead.

Azure, I don't think this is the answer, but I wanted to get this started.

Is it that they all made movies for MGM?

Yes, that's true, but they have something else in common.  The thing that they have in common has nothing to do with their acting careers.

They all were featured in a film with Victor Jory?

No, sorry.  That was a good guess, but I had something else in mind.  It has to do with a character that each of them played.

They all played a character named Gilda and interestingly enough, both Miriam Hopkins and Rita Hayworth's characters were named Gilda Farrell, Gilda Mundson Farrell in Rita Hayworth's case.  Of course Gilda was the name of the Rita Hayworth movie.  Miriam Hopkins played Gilda Farrell in Design for Living and Dorothy Mackaill played Gilda Carlson (aka Gilda Erickson) in Safe in Hell.

They all played a character named Gilda and interestingly enough, both Miriam Hopkins and Rita Hayworth's characters were named Gilda Farrell, Gilda Mundson Farrell in Rita Hayworth's case.  Of course Gilda was the name of the Rita Hayworth movie.  Miriam Hopkins played Gilda Farrell in Design for Living and Dorothy Mackaill played Gilda Carlson (aka Gilda Erickson) in Safe in Hell.

Correct!  Well done, Star.  To be honest, I didn't even realize that Miriam Hopkins' and Rita Hayworth's characters ended up having the same last name.  Thanks for mentioning that fact. 

The thread's all yours, Star.

Is it that they all were in movies that had the word "Miss" in the title?  They each played the title character.

Lucille Ball -- Miss Grant Takes Richmond

Rita Hayworth -- Miss Sadie Thompson

Jennifer Jones -- Good Morning, Miss Dove

Lillian Gish -- Miss Susie Slagle's

(Shirley Temple -- Miss Annie Rooney and Barbara Stanwyck -- The Mad Miss Manton)

They all co-starred with Bob Hope.

Vera Zorina - Louisiana Purchase (1941)

Joan Caulfield - Monsieur Beaucaire (1946)

Signe Hasso - Where There's Life (1947)

Eva Marie Saint - That Certain Feeling (1956)

Vera Miles - Beau James (1957)

They all co-starred with Bob Hope.

Vera Zorina - Louisiana Purchase (1941)

Joan Caulfield - Monsieur Beaucaire (1946)I

Signe Hasso - Where There's Life (1947)

Eva Marie Saint - That Certain Feeling (1956)

Vera Miles - Beau James (1957)

Excellent starliteyes. Bob Hope is the common thread. Would love to see "Monsieur Beaucaire" which hasn't been shown for way too long.  The thread is yours.