Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Terrence1

What Do They Have in Common?

Here's a pretty big hint -- August 13th is a very significant day for all of these actors. 

Ha!  Great picture, Shutoo.  Yes, you are absolutely correct.  Good job!  As you now know, August 13th is International Lefthanders Day.  I'm not a lefty (unfortunately), but I do have some awesome "southpaws" in my life.  I couldn't resist adding to the great list that Miles had already made.  There are many more people who belong on the list, but hey, we can't name them all. 

Even though Fred Astaire appears on many Hollywood lefty lists, I don't think that his left-handedness has been 100% confirmed (but I decided to include him anyway). 

Cary Grant was usually forced to appear right-handed.  He would usually be filmed holding a pen or some other object in his right hand.  If he actually had to be seen writing something, they would sometimes use a "hand double".  However, you can see him using his left hand in a couple of films. 

Here is Cary Grant shaving with his left hand in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House.

blandings-779300.jpg

24GLbSV.jpg?1

Here he is again in North by Northwest:

FDU14EU.jpg?1

Cary Grant and fellow lefty Eva Marie Saint are holding the glasses with their left hands.

ivTUdh8.jpg?1

I think that Cary Grant was allowed to be his natural left-handed self in Indiscreet.   OK, sorry for rambling on.  Your turn, Shutoo.

Thanks Azure! I confess I'm not a leftie, but was so curious about the date, I googled it (not too much ever happened on Aug 13th...)

next:

Janet Gaynor

Matt Dillon

Eli Wallach

Bette Davis

it's not personal this time...and no other actor is involved

hmmm...all the characters were involved, past or present,  in the same 'business' that led to their unique distinction

Shutoo, it looks like we're all stumped on this one.  It has gone unanswered for almost 2 weeks.  Please give us the answer. 

They all played characters who had won an Oscar...and we see the award in the film...

Janet Gaynor--​A Star is Born

Matt Dillon--​In and Out

Eli Wallach--The Holiday ​(his is for writing, the others are for acting)

Bette Davis--​The Star star3.jpg

(she even took him for rides)

Sorry this was a stumper...I thought the 'Feb on TCM' clue would do it..

open thread!

What do these folks have in common?

Edmund Gwenn

Tom Drake

Elizabeth Taylor

June Lockhart

It concerns what each one did on more than one occasion..

Yes, and several times.  I believe it was only twice for Liz, three times for Edmund Gwenn and three movies and an episode of the TV series for Tom Drake.  Of course, June Lockhart was in "Son Of Lassie" as well as the TV series.  You're next, shutoo..

Eileen Brennan

Julia Roberts

Dianne Ladd

Joan Crawford

it's not personal..it's professional...doesn't involve another actor...

That's the common role!

Eileen Brennan--​The Last Picture Show

Julia Roberts--​Mystic Pizza

​Diane Ladd--​Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Joan Crawford--​Mildred Pierce

​Your thread, MilesArcher :) 

No, and I believe that Rock started at Universal.  This question has to do with something that happened to a character that they played in a movie.  Obviously, different characters and different movies, but it was something that their character did in a movie that was similar to the others.  For instance, if they all played characters who got arrested, or were strangled, or got drunk.  It's something that their characters did that was similar.  

Here are some hints.  Dick Powell did this in two movies, both during his crooning days.  Ruby Keeler's movie did not have Dick Powell in it.  Rock Hudson's movie was made in the sixties and was a sort of remake of one of the Dick Powell movies.  Dick Foran was in one of the Dick Powell movies, but his movie in question was made in the forties with a well known comedy team. 

Miles, think you forgot about this one. I'll venture a guess although no clues have been given in a week. Could it be the they all played roles where they pretend to be able to do something and then maybe master whatever it is they are pretending to do ??????

Exactly right, Lavender.  In both "Cowboy From Brooklyn" and "Ride 'Em Cowboy", Dick Powell and Dick Foran pretended to be real cowboys.  Then they each had to learn how to be one.  In "Going Places", Dick Powell pretends to be an Australian jockey, but he has never ridden a horse.  In "Man's Favorite Sport", Rock Hudson has written a book about fishing, but he has never been fishing in his life.  Of course, his boss enters him into a fishing tournament, so he has to learn fast.  In "Ready, Willing, And Able", Ruby Keller is a chorus girl who happens to have the same name as a famous British musical star.  She gets hired by mistake for a Broadway show and she has to pretend to be that star.

You are also right  about me forgetting this thread.  There are so many endless list threads that for some reason unknown to me, are popular with enough people that they force the actual trivia question threads way down the list of threads.  I'm sure that you and others have experienced that same frustration.  Lavender, it's now your turn to post the next question.    

Exactly right, Lavender.  In both "Cowboy From Brooklyn" and "Ride 'Em Cowboy", Dick Powell and Dick Foran pretended to be real cowboys.  Then they each had to learn how to be one.  In "Going Places", Dick Powell pretends to be an Australian jockey, but he has never ridden a horse.  In "Man's Favorite Sport", Rock Hudson has written a book about fishing, but he has never been fishing in his life.  Of course, his boss enters him into a fishing tournament, so he has to learn fast.  In "Ready, Willing, And Able", Ruby Keller is a chorus girl who happens to have the same name as a famous British musical star.  She gets hired by mistake for a Broadway show and she has to pretend to be that star.

You are also right  about me forgetting this thread.  There are so many endless list threads that for some reason unknown to me, are popular with enough people that they force the actual trivia question threads way down the list of threads.  I'm sure that you and others have experienced that same frustration.  Lavender, it's now your turn to post the next question.    

Thanks Miles and I Agree with you  :)

next one

Terry Moore

Virginia Mayo

Jeanne Crain

Loretta Young

not personal, has to do with films