Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEMovieman

HORROR MOVIE TRIVIA

Happy Halloween, everyone! I thought that it would be fun to have a horror movie thread today. Here is the first question. In the 1978 movie *Halloween,* one of the characters is named after a character in another famous horror movie. Who is the character, and what movie is his name from?

In "Halloween", Donald Pleasence plays a character named Sam Loomis, and, of course, that was the name of the character played by John Gavin in "Psycho".

Boris Karloff played the Frankenstein monster three times in the thirties. In the forties, three other actors played the monster for Universal studios. Can you name the three actors and the movies in which they played the big guy?

1. The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942) -- Lon Caney, Jr.

2. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman (1943) -- Bela Lugosi

3 House Of Frankenstein- ( 1944) -Glenn Strange

It took two weeks, but you got it, skipper. They were all together in "Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein", with Glenn Strange again playing the monster. Glenn Strange was a veteran of hundreds of movies and TV westerns. He ended up playing Sam the bartender on "Gunsmoke" in the sixties and seventies. Your turn, skip.

Thanks...

These two actors were at Bela Lugosi's funeral. On Seeing Lugosi's body dressed in his famous Dracula cape and costume, one actor said to the other, "Do you think we should drive a stake through his heart just in case?"....Name the speaker and the other actor.

Thanks, Sixes.

New one:

A well- made and well-received horror film from the 1080s centers a group of elderly men who often dine together, known as "the Chowder Society." What film?

Speeches that are heard several times in the film:

"Call me Ricky. Everybody does"

"Dahance, Little Toad."

(This was the last film of the distinguished performer involved in these scenes.)

A prolific writer and scripter, well known in the horror genre, also performs with a band made up of writers, known as the "Rock Bottom Remainders"*. Well, the writer/scripter behind this movie is not that Remainder, but he once co-authored a fantasy novel with him.

...* "Remainder" is a trade term for a book that has not sold well, and so the price has been reduced.

Correct re *Ghost Story* . This was the last film for Douglas Fairbanks, Jr, Fred Astaire and Melvyn Douglas.

Novelist/Scripter Peter Straub also co-wrote *The Talisman* with Stephen King, who along with the likes of Dave Berry, Amy Tan, Scot Turow and Matt Groening is a member of the Rock Bottom Remainders. "We make music about as good as Metallica writes."

Sixes' thread.

Edited by: cmvgor on Nov 18, 2010 5:57 PM

holding Sixes' place until he gets back :

A famous horror story, filmed and staged many times. One version, filmed in the 1960s, (was satirized?) (received an homage?) in a 1970s film by means of using the same performer in a similar scene. The 70s film was part of a series.

???

The 70s series entry with the, uh, tribute sequence included featured a police procedural plot and a bumbling investigator.

The star of the horror film subsequently becomes a regular in the comedy series, as a foil to the bumbling detective. Comes to hate the guy.

At some 40 Views, closing down the question.

_Herbert Lom_ , in 1962, had the title role in one of many film versions of *The Phantom Of The Opera* . Subsequently, Mr. Lom became a major support player in the "Pink Panther" series, in the role of Drayfus, Inspector Clouseau's superior. In 1976's *The Pink Panther Strikes Again* , Insp Drayfus is approached while he sits in a large room playing on a pipe organ that takes up the entire wall. This duplicates a major discovery scene in *Phantom* .

I posed this question while holding this space for mr6666. Sixes should have first refusal to either pose a question or open the thread.

Edited by: cmvgor on Nov 25, 2010 1:59 PM

Lon Jr. accidentally blinds himself with acid--Can you name this horror "classic". (Well, I like it anyway.)

Thanks, Sixes.

It's a given that Stephen King riffed off of Bram Stoker's *Dracula* when he wrote *'Salem's Lot*. which was first a novel and then a mini-series. What venerable old horror story did he start from when he wrote (novel, then screenplay) *Pet Sematary* ??

That would be *Rivers Edge* (1986) based losely on the murder of Marcy Renee Conrad in 1967. I was going to quibble about including this title in a "horror" thread, until I realized my own reaction to the film version of *Carberet* . At the singing of "Tomorrow Belongs To Me", I was gripped with sudden dread like a fist around the heart. It was about the rise of Nazism, and that sudden forecast did, indeed, horrify me. *River's Edge*, on it's part, lines up with the concept of the "banality of Evil", the acceptance of the unspeakable and the unthinkable. (Consider the killer's friend's insistance that the girl was killed because "she wouldn't shut up!") Even without supernatural or slasher elements (the killing doesn't happen on screen) it justifies a reaction of horror.

Edited by: cmvgor on Jan 23, 2011 3:47 PM