Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEMovieman

HORROR MOVIE TRIVIA

Here are multiple questions focusing on horror movies from the 70s.

1) This movie opened with a statement saying that it was based on a true story. It wasn't.

2) This movie was loosely a remake of a European arthouse film from the 1960s.

3) This movie was released unrated, as the MPAA kept giving it an X. It was a sequel that was later remade.

4) There were 3 major studio releases from the late 60's through the late 70s that were supernatural horror films with a religious bent. Name the one not based on a pre-existing novel.

5) This independent film was made quickly and on the cheap. The writer-director asked the producer for only two things: to shoot in widescreen and to use steadicams.

6) Portions of this film were shot inside a refrigerated soundstage, but the film did not have an Arctic or winter-time setting.

7) This movie used the "imbibition Technicolor" process to accentuate the bright colors, a process previously used on The Wizard of Oz, among others.

8) This movie shared casting sessions with a major science fiction movie.

9) A poster of Jaws was shown torn in half in this movie, as a supposed statement that this movie was "real horror" and not Hollywood fluff.

10) This movie started the trend of holiday-themed horror. Ironically, it was directed by someone who would go on to make a beloved family film based around the same holiday.

1.) "The Amityville Horror" (1979)?  

4.) "The Omen" (1976)--The novelization by David Seltzer followed the film's release, I think?  The other two films are "Rosemary's Baby" (1968), based on Ira Levin's book, and "The Exorcist" (1973), based on William Peter Blatty's book.

5.) "Halloween" (1977)?

7.) "Suspiria" (1977)?

9.) "Orca" (1977)?

10.) "Black Christmas" (1974)?

1.) "The Amityville Horror" (1979)?  Wrong...this one is earlier in the decade.

4.) "The Omen" (1976)--The novelization by David Seltzer followed the film's release, I think?  The other two films are "Rosemary's Baby" (1968), based on Ira Levin's book, and "The Exorcist" (1973), based on William Peter Blatty's book.  Correct!

5.) "Halloween" (1977)?  Correct! (The year was '78, though)

7.) "Suspiria" (1977)?  Correct!

9.) "Orca" (1977)?  Wrong...this movie has no connection to the water; in fact, it takes place in a desert.

10.) "Black Christmas" (1974)?  Correct!

1.) "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (1973)?

2.) "The Last House On The Left" (1972)?  Wes Craven's version of Ingmar Bergman's "The Virgin Spring" (1960).

3.) "Mark of the Devil" (1970)?

6.) "The Exorcist" (1973)--The scenes in Regan's bedroom?

8.) I know the science fiction movie was "Star Wars" (1977)--"Carrie" (1976) or "The Fury" (1978)--I think Brian DePalma shared a casting call/session(s).

9.) "Nightwing" (1979)?

1.) "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (1973)? Correct!

2.) "The Last House On The Left" (1972)?  Wes Craven's version of Ingmar Bergman's "The Virgin Spring" (1960). Correct!

3.) "Mark of the Devil" (1970)?  Wrong! This movie was a sequel, remember, and is very well known. It was remade, and was a big hit, in the mid 2000's.

6.) "The Exorcist" (1973)--The scenes in Regan's bedroom? Correct!

8.) I know the science fiction movie was "Star Wars" (1977)--"Carrie" (1976) or "The Fury" (1978)--I think Brian DePalma shared a casting call/session(s). Correct! (William Katt was almost Luke Skywalker, and Carrie Fisher was almost the Amy Irving role in Carrie)

9.) "Nightwing" (1979)?  Wrong! This movie has no killer animals at all, unless you count deranged people!

3.) "Dawn of the Dead" (1979)?  Correct!

9.) "The Hills Have Eyes" (1977)?--If this isn't it, I'm out of guesses, LOL.  Correct! This became a running gag, as Sam Raimi later put a torn Hills Have Eyes poster in his movie The Evil Dead, and then Wes Craven put a clip from The Evil Dead in A Nightmare On Elm Street.

You got 'em all, film lover. I hope you didn't mind the 10-question format. I thought I'd switch things up a bit.

Your thread.

• Like 1

The first three films about this monster are from the Silent Era and are all lost.  At least one silent film featuring this monster survives.  One movie studio made six films about this monster over a period of over two decades.  Another studio made four films featuring this monster over twelve years.  

Name the monster, the two studios, the surviving silent film, and the series of six films and four films.

The first three films about this monster are from the Silent Era and are all lost.  At least one silent film featuring this monster survives.  One movie studio made six films about this monster over a period of over two decades.  Another studio made four films featuring this monster over twelve years.  

Name the monster, the two studios, the surviving silent film, and the series of six films and four films.

Universal, Hammer. The surviving silent is The Eyes of the Mummy

Universal: Mummy, Hand, Tomb, Ghost, Curse, A&C Meet. The Hammer series is too boring to list.

Lon_Chaney_as_Kharis_in_The_Mummy%27s_Gh

:lol:

the-mummy-hammer-horror-films-830835_640

BLOODFROMTHEMUMMYSTOMB.jpg

img_f20130819-234438.jpg

the-mummys-shroud-48.jpg

The posters were better than the movies!

• Like 1

Swithin--you answered first--your answers are correct;

Lawrence--thanks for the Hammer list and posters. :)

Your thread, Swithin. :)

This peculiar early horror film has some obscure connections: with two Astaire/Rogers films; and with Anna Wintour and Calvin Klein.

Name the film; the lead actor, who also funded the film; his link to the two Astaire/Rogers films; and his connection to Anna Wintour and Calvin Klein.

Also name the non-American director of the film.

This peculiar early horror film has some obscure connections: with two Astaire/Rogers films; and with Anna Wintour and Calvin Klein.

Name the film; the lead actor, who also funded the film; his link to the two Astaire/Rogers films; and his connection to Anna Wintour and Calvin Klein.

Also name the non-American director of the film.

Vampyr (1932)

Nicolas de Gunzburg starred and financed the movie. He mentored Calvin Klein, as well as Bill Blass and Oscar de la Renta, and he was fashion editor at Vogue, as was Anna Wintour. The only connection to the Astaire/Rogers movies (Top Hat and The Gay Divorcee) was that he was the romantic partner of supporting actor Erik Rhodes for many years.

And the movie was directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer.

Vampyr (1932)

Nicolas de Gunzburg starred and financed the movie. He mentored Calvin Klein, as well as Bill Blass and Oscar de la Renta, and he was fashion editor at Vogue, as was Anna Wintour. The only connection to the Astaire/Rogers movies (Top Hat and The Gay Divorcee) was that he was the romantic partner of supporting actor Erik Rhodes for many years.

And the movie was directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer.

You got it all, Lawrence. They should make a movie of de Gunzberg's life. He was also on the Best Dressed Men's list for 1971. Your thread.

53f26fb07044ae374f3805f4_niki-de-gunzbur

What horror movie's trailer advertised the film as being shot in "Strangloscope"?  Please name the film, director, and three stars.

The Stranglers of Bombay (1959) directed by Terence Fisher, starring Guy Rolfe, Jan Holden, and George Pastell as the High Priest of Kali?

I haven't seen this one, either.

STRANGLERSOFBOMBAYHALFSHT.jpg

• Like 1

Lawrence--Sorry for the wait; you're correct.  The film is on dailymotion.com and the trailer is on archive.org.

Your thread, Lawrence. :)

This low-budget effort from the 1950s features an astronaut who dies when he crash lands on Earth, but when his corpse is recovered, it doesn't seen to be entirely...dead.

Name the movie, a couple of stars, and the producer.

This low-budget effort from the 1950s features an astronaut who dies when he crash lands on Earth, but when his corpse is recovered, it doesn't seen to be entirely...dead.

Name the movie, a couple of stars, and the producer.

This sounds like one of my old favorites, Night of the Blood Beast. Haven't seen it in decades. Michael Emmett, Angela Greene, John Baer. Produced by Gene and Roger Corman.

This sounds like one of my old favorites, Night of the Blood Beast. Haven't seen it in decades. Michael Emmett, Angela Greene, John Baer. Produced by Gene and Roger Corman.

That's the one. 

Your thread, Swithin.

In this film, young ladies make it possible for old f arts to stay youthful.

Name the movie and two of the venerable actors who played villain and villainess.