Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CinemaAngel

Martin Scorsese?s 11 Scariest Horror Movies of All Time! Debate time!

*Martin Scorsese?s 11 Scariest Horror Movies of All Time*

Monday, November 1st, 2010

/FILM

We always love hearing which films entertain, influence and scare the filmmakers we admire. And you may have noticed that we?ve been posting these types of lists when we find them in our Movie Playlist. Over the weekend Martin Scorsese listed off his 11 scariest horror movies of all time.

1. The Haunting (1963)

2. Isle of the Dead

3. The Uninvited

4. The Entity

5. Dead of Night

6. The Changeling (1980)

7. The Shining

8. The Exorcist

9. Night of the Demon

10. The Innocents

11. Psycho

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/11/01/martin-scorseses-11-scariest-horror-movies-time/

I like "The Shining" very much but I would call that movie a thriller more than a horror. Didn't that use to be called cabin fever? Found it more funny than scary.

As far as *The Shining*, I got half way through the book and never finished it, I was so scared.

On the list, would like to have seen *Nosferatu*.

I notice that *The Innocents* is on the list. For some reason this great film about a suppressed, sensitive young governess and her two charges is overlooked on these boards. I wrote about it on the "What makes a good Horror film?" thread.

Directed by Jack Clayton, the film was released in 1961. It stars Deborah Kerr, and is based on the Henry James novella, The Turn of the Screw. Perhaps that explains its literacy and its psychological depth. This is one of the scariest ghost stories I have ever seen on film, and yet very little is "shown". The few scenes that do apparently depict a being from "the other side" are very quiet, and very frightening. Hasn't anyone else seen this exceptional movie?

I haven't seen THE ENTITY in at least 30 years... & I think it was on TV & probably edited, so I really can't comment on that one. I've never found THE EXORCIST frightening except for one brief scene. As to the rest of the list, I'm in agreement.

(and yes, do check out THE CHANGELING)

*Hasn't anyone else seen this exceptional movie?*

Saw THE INNOCENTS first on the CBS Late Night Movie (remember that?) & have loved it ever since.

I saw THE INNOCENTS on a local syndicated station about 25 years ago. Very good, creepy movie, brilliant cinematography by Freddie Francis, (who later worked with Scorsese on CAPE FEAR.)

Yes, I've seen The Innocents too. Several times. TCM doesnt show it enough. I missed it on TCM awhile ago. I'd love to see it again.........

The Changeling is a little known film that I tell all of my friends about, especially at Halloween. They're never disappointed.

Great, old-fashioned scares.

While Martin Scorsese is one of my favorite directors, scary is in the mind of the beholder. I have seen seven of the films listed (I can't comment on the other four), and I found none of them scary.

On the other hand, I did find these ten horror films scary. And while I can't explain why I did find them scary, I did find them scary. Thus, in alphabetical order, are the ten horror films I found scary.

Arachnophobia

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Descent

The Fly (1958)

Freaks

It's Alive

Lair of the White Worm

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

The Thing from Another World (1951)

Watcher in the Woods

And in contrast, here are thirteen non-horror films I found equally scary or even more so, than the horror films. And in alphabetical order . . .

Atomic Submarine

Caged

Dragonslayer

Eight Below

Have Rocket Will Travel

The Helstrom Chronicle

Pinocchio

The Sixth Sense

Something Wicked This Way Comes

The Towering Inferno

2001: Space Odyssey

Wait Until Dark

The Wilby Conspiracy

> {quote:title=TheTexasKid wrote:}{quote}

> scary is in the mind of the beholder.

Indeed it is. When I was a kid, I found lots of things scary, like *King Kong*, *Rodan*, and *Attack of the Crab Monsters*. As an adult, I can only think of two films which succeeded in scaring me, *Alien* and *Platoon*. That doesn't mean that I don't like horror films, I do like some of them. I'm surprised that no one has listed any films by Mario Bava, or Dario Argento, both have made some rather good horror films.

*Brotherhood of the Wolf* is one of my favorite films. I bought the multidisc Canadian DVD. I guess that nominally, it is a horror film. But, it really includes so many genres - historical fiction, martial arts, adventure. And, it has Monica Bellucci. :)