Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

child actors?

I'm not going to say "best" child actors, as taste is relative, but all mine are ones who I think also could equit themselves admirably on screen in drama or comedy.

This topic came to mind yesterday, as I was watching little Miss Margaret O'Brien with June Allyson and Marsha Hunt in that tearjerker with Jose Iturbi. I think she was one of the best and I will add to my list on the side of the girls, Peggy Ann Garner, Diana Lynn, Virginia Weidler, Marcia Mae Jones and the adorable Sybil Jason who stole "The Little Princess" away from Shirley Temple.

For later time frames I think Patty Duke and Patty McCormack were quite accomplished and talented.

One the male side, my favorite child actors are Jackie Coogan, Mickey Rooney, Roddy McDowall, and Robert Blake [or Mickey Gubitosi!].

I also think one of the best later child stars, who was also great as a young adult before his untimely death in a traffic accident, was Brandon De Wilde.

In addition, Bobby Driscoll was marvelous in the noir thriller, "The Window" and it was sad to hear of his demise at an early age.

Well, who are your favorites?

Oh I forgot...I don't know how great his thespian skills would be judged by the Actors Studio, but I always enjoy the insufferably entertaining Jackie "Butch" Jenkins too, and he was adorable in the recent TCM showing of "My Brother Talks to Horses".

I'd have to say:

Mary Badham-- Ok any child who was in To Kill a Mockingbird and held their own against Gregory Peck, should be on this list but Mary gets it for being such a little scene stealer.

Donald O'Connor-- especially in Beau Geste, those eyes and his ease in front of a camera always surpassed his years and remain ageless.

Elizabeth Taylor--Try taking your eyes off her in any film...Stunning child,superb talent.

Jackie Coogan--that face was made for Black and White

River Phoenix-- Probably my favorite child actor, his talent was about as raw as it gets, his films were daring and remain timeless.

Mickey Rooney---excellent choice the realfuster.

Justin Henry-- The kid from Kramer vs. Kramer....talk about tear jerker.

I'm sure I'll think of a half dozen more throughout the day:-)

Mary Badham and was appalled at that Twilight Zone where they dubbed her voice, due to her teeny little accent.

And I sort of forgot about Donald O'Connor being in that dance team with Peggy Ryan I think it was. He is one of my adult favorites too. I could watch him dance up the wall in SITR daily.

Liz was excellent too, as are your other choices.

Thanks for participating!