Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Miniver Story question

kevshrop

Beware, there's a spoiler here if you haven't seen the movie.

At first, I thought the Mrs. Miniver character had a heart problem, but then I thought it must be cancer of some kind. She's given some kind of medicine that makes her woosy, but it helps alleviate her pain. I thought that must have been morphine. What do you folks think it was that Mrs. Miniver had that killed her?

I thought it was cancer...but the wikipage says it was a cardiac condition.

I do know that killing Mrs. Miniver off in the sequel was a controversial and costly mistake for MGM. The original author sued the studio and won. It was claimed that by killing the character off in the movie (something that does not happen in the literature), people would stop buying future books in the series.

Very interesting, thanks. I enjoyed the movie, overall. And I think Hollywood has kind of evolved a bit. Nowadays, I would hope that the older son's fate would have been addressed, no matter if the actor Ney was divorced to Garson. I think the audience would have appreciated some kind of acknowledgment of his character in the sequel. There are some really great scenes. And I was very impressed with how well they reproduced the sets.

Supposedly, the sequel was filmed at MGM's studios in London and exteriors were done on location in England. When the original was made, Britain was at war and was facing continual air raids. I guess it was safer to do the original in Hollywood.

As for Ney's character, I agree that they should've addressed it. If she had not married him and divorced him in real life, then of course he would not have been erased from the canvas. They should've just recast it.

*Supposedly, the sequel was filmed at MGM's studios in London and exteriors were done on location in England. When the original was made, Britain was at war and was facing continual air raids. I guess it was safer to do the original in Hollywood.*

Most Hollywood productions of the 1930s and the first half of the 40s were filmed at the studios, regardless of the locale of the story. Of course the war made it dangerous, if not impossible for MRS. MINIVER to have been made in England, but it most likely would not have been filmed there in any case. Look at other MGM movies with Garson that take place in Britain, GOODBYE MR. CHIPS, PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, etc. . . None of these was considered for an overseas location...at best the coast of Carmel substituted for England.

By the late 40s, the Hollywood studios filmed abroad to take advantage of funds frozen by (in this case) the British government; it therefore made sense to film THE MINIVER STORY in Britain. I agree that some explanation at least should have addressed the fate of the son.