Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hotel recommendations, pros & cons?

chicagovet

I bought my Classic Pass, and I'll be traveling to L.A. from Chicago. I missed last year's Festival, so would any of last year's attendees care to share their opinions about whether I should stay at the Hollywood Roosevelt, or at a different hotel in the area? Thanks!

I stayed at the Roosevelt last year and really enjoyed it. I shared a room with fellow TCM City poster SueSueApplegate and that made it affordable for both of us. It was great each morning to be able to take the elevator downstairs at 8:00 am and be at the Chinese Theater and in line ten minutes later.

At the end of the day, it was great to hang out at Club TCM with friends and talk till late at night and then be able to take the elevator to the room.

Another friend and fellow TCM City poster,Kingrat, stayed at the Best Western (I think it was) on Highland and was very happy with his room. It was a short walk from Hollywood and Highland.

lzcutter,

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it. Elevator to the movies (stars?): sounds pretty nice to me. So I'm leaning towards the Roosevelt. I'm new here, and don't know anyone; hope to stay in touch, and looking forward to late April.

Hi, chicagovet. Glad you're coming to the festival. You'll have a great time. Two alternatives to the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel are on Highland Avenue three or four long city blocks from the Roosevelt and Grauman's Chinese. Highland is a large and busy street, even after midnight. Women would probably not want to walk alone that late anywhere. I felt pretty comfortable walking back after a late show and a drink at Club TCM, and I'm a timid kind of guy.

1. Holiday Inn Express on Highland Ave. - price includes a breakfast bar and free parking. Perhaps someone who stayed there last year can add some details.

2. Best Western on Highland Ave. - includes free parking. Breakfast is not included, but there is a small cafe on site where you can get breakfast for under $10. There usually were only one cook and one server. There are two or three other breakfast places between the motel and Grauman's/Mann's Chinese, including fast food and Starbucks. The motel is toward the lower range of Best Western properties, but acceptable, and the room did include a small refrigerator and microwave. I'll probably stay there again in April.

The Mann's Chinese multiplex, which is used for the two smaller screenings, is on the second level of the large open-air Hollywood/Highland mall, and there are seven or eight fast food restaurants just outside the theater. That's very convenient for a quick bite to eat between movies. Other fast food restaurants are within a block or two of the Roosevelt.

For anyone who has problems with mobility, there's an expensive hotel within the Hollywood/Highland complex which has a door opening directly across from Mann's Chinese.

kingrat,

Thanks very much for the hotel recommendations and the other info. Both of the alternative places sound great. The more I think about it though, the more I'm inclined to bite the bullet and go the whole route to stay at the Roosevelt. Well--at least for this first time anyway. If I recall, last year the hotel eventually sold out, so I should probably book the room early, no?

Out of curiosity, were there many out-of-state Festival goers last time, or were most from the southern Calif. area?

*Out of curiosity, were there many out-of-state Festival goers last time, or were most from the southern Calif. area?*

Out of the group of TCM posters that got together at In-N-Out that Thursday before the festival started, became good friends and ended up hanging out together all weekend, only one (I think) was from out of state.

However, the majority of people that I met or talked to while standing in line for movies or hanging out at Club TCM or while waiting for the panels start were from out of state.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I have been watching the Hotel Roosevelt site for reservations since last month. It seems that there is no availability for the days of the festival. It could be that the rooms will be released later on. I'm going to call their cust. service number to see what the deal is.

The last time I checked with the Hollywood Roosevelt a few weeks ago, rooms were still available and they said they had plenty.

Since you get a discount because you are a Festival goer, it might be better to call and make the reservation rather than try to do it online.

I do want to mention a hotel only a block away from the Roosevelt Hotel for those that are price conscious.

There is a Quality Inn on LaBrea Avenue only a short block from the rear (Valet) entrance of the Roosevelt Hotel. One can be their room in only five minutes after leaving the Roosevelt if your shutting down "Club TCM" at midnight.

http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-hollywood-california-CAB20

And a "Google Search" (Quality Inn LaBrea Hollywood) will return a map that shows just how close the Quality Inn is to the Roosevelt and the Chinese Theater(s) which are marked on the Google Map.

If I didn't live in the neighborhood, it would be my choice based on location, price and the knowledge that one is really only going to sleep and shower while in the hotel during the majority of the Film Festival.

Oh, and the In 'N Out Burger is only a block away too.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"I hope that I'm wrong, but I have been watching the Hotel Roosevelt site for reservations since last month. It seems that there is no availability for the days of the festival."* - soulsalsa

Last year, accomodations at the Roosevelt were in such demand by Festival goers that even TCM itself ended up giving up many of the rooms it booked for their staff opting to take space at other nearby hotels instead so that the attendees could stay at "Festival Central."

I am betting the Roosevelt has set aside virtually ALL its rooms for the TCM Film Festival. So, if you're looking online as a non-affiliated guest, the hotel may have removed all rooms from the general booking site. Definitely use any Film Festival links if you are thinking of staying there. It is the best way to guarantee your accomodations.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle, I'm sure you're correct because I checked online within less than an hour of TCM's first announcement of the 2011 festival dates and reservations for the Roosevelt already showed as completely unavailable for those dates, yet festival reservations had just begun to be made. I was able to make my reservations via phone call a few hours later that night. (That was the first I could get through to them. They were having a difficult time keeping up with the calls.)

For anyone thinking they'd like to stay at the Roosevelt for the festival, I recommend they call ASAP, as the Roosevelt was totally booked and had a long waiting list when I called in early December last year. Some rooms probably open up again the week before the festival as people's plans change but who knows how many rooms that would make available and if they could be found at the right time.

FYI:

*The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel is sold out.* :(

The reservations agent told me they've been sold out for about three weeks---as soon as the Festival dates were announced.

She suggested the Renaissance, across the street. I don't as yet know whether they're offering a discount. I will post the info here.

I can confirm as well for the Roosevelt being all booked up. I sorta figured from the day they announced the dates, one would have to call for the discount anyway. I hadn't decided to go yet until the funds flowed in. And they have flowed in.

As long as I have a place to sleep, I'll be good. I consider myself quite fortunate to be going since I missed last year due to lack of funds. :)

I'll check out the Renaissance. Thanks for the tip chicagovet.

• 2 months later...

I noticed today that TCM has added yet another Hollywood hotel to the preferred booking list.

"The Redbury" at Hollywood & Vine is offering special rates for the TCM Classic Film Festival.

http://www.theredbury.com/

Definitely give a look to the website to get an idea of what the rooms are like.

But the special rates are only available if booked by February 11th. Call 323.962.1717 and mention the TCM Classic Film Festival.

This is a new and very trendy "boutique" hotel to the neighborhood. It is also the home of the restaurant "Cleo" whose decor celebrates Theda Bara!

5402260752_804879f921.jpg

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/18/food/la-fo-review-20101118

"The Redbury" is across Hollywood Blvd. from the other preferred Classic Film Festival site, the "W Hotel".

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1789

I believe 'mavfan4life' stayed there last year.

Staying at the Hollywood & Vine end of Hollywood Blvd. isn't all that inconvenient for Festival attendees. One can jump on the subway and travel one stop to get to the Chinese Theater/Roosevelt Hotel or climb aboard any of a number of buses that head west down Hollywood Blvd. Fares - both subway or bus -are $1.50 each way. And a cab ride home in the evening will be very inexpensive.

Kyle In Hollywood

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One pet peeve with The Hollywood Roosevelt is the extra charges. My partner & I are doing a road trip from San Francisco LA (with stops in Napa, Monterey & San Simeon among others), then will arrive in LA / Hollywood Roosevelt a few days in advance of TCM Festival. Once at the Roosevelt, the charges start getting pricey! $19.99 for each internet connection per day (we need at least one, since I'll be needing to monitor and work some for my business) per device (Brian likes to lounge by the pool with his iPad for part of each day and who could blame him!) and parking is 30 bucks daily. We like to have the car at least until the start of the festival so we can do some visits to sites during the day. So that's $70 plus tax a day added to our bill. The Roosevelt management said that "events" booking into the hotel always negotiate better deals than this incl no charge internet connection (presumably in return for a solidly booked hotel during an event). I can understand that in year one this would have been overlooked. But now that we're in year two of the festival and we talked to TCM & Roosevelt staff in year 1, we're hoping that these charges will be more reasonable. In attempting to talk to TCM staff (via the online contact) and the Roosevelt, we have received exactly one response collectively. An email from TCM indicating that the comment would be forwarded to someone at TCM. After a few recontacts at our end, we've no response. It'll be curious to see where this ends up... but get a little antsy throwing away my hard earned after tax $ on extras like these.

I have not traveled outside Florida in ten years so bear with me. I put the zip code for the Roosevelt into Priceline and found several within a half-mile of it. They are mostly two-star but I don't need a palace. They are a package with the plane that goes from my TIA to Bob Hope in Burbank. Am I on the right track? Any help would be appreciated, this is my first time in CA-I can't believe I'm really going to see it.

*"They are a package with the plane that goes from my TIA to Bob Hope in Burbank. Am I on the right track? Any help would be appreciated."* - wouldbestar

First, I am so glad you are attending the Film Festival this year. You're going to have a ball.

As to your hotel options, it might help us if you post what places Priceline and/or the Airfair Package suggested. Then a few of us can give you some feedback on those options that will be most helpful to you.

At this point, I will say - "the closer, the better." Try to be as close to the Roosevelt/Hollywood Blvd. as possible.

Also take a look at the suggestions in this thread -

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=156527&tstart=45

Kyle (Welcome to my Neighborhood) In Hollywood

Wouldbe,

That's terrific news!!!!

Hope you will be able to join us that Thursday at In-N-Out Burgers (the best burgers in southern California).

We are waiting for the schedule to be released before we set a gathering time.

In-N-Out is just a block or two south of the Roosevelt hotel!

Kyle: Thanks for your help. They came up with three on Sunset: A Comfort Inn, Rodeway Inn, The Sunset Inn, and a Quality Inn on La Brea-please tell me it's not in the middle of those tar pits. They are 0.3 to 0.6 miles from the Roosevelt which I'm assuming is ground zero for the festival. I tried Hotwire as well but am having trouble pinning the area down with them to compare prices. I'm also playing with the idea of going by Greyhound so I can really see the country and dealing with the lodgers from here. I can stop on the way home and see my sister in Austin, TX. Thank you, Uncle Sam, for the windfall.

*"Kyle: Thanks for your help. They came up with three on Sunset: A Comfort Inn, Rodeway Inn, The Sunset Inn, and a Quality Inn on La Brea-please tell me it's not in the middle of those tar pits."* - wouldbestar

Hi -

Of all the suggestions you named, The Quality Inn on LaBrea is closest and likely to be equal in cost to all the others. I have walked by there often and it appears very nice. This is the website for the place -

http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-hollywood-california-CAB20

The place is no where near the Tar Pits. And it is only a block away from the Roosevelt - by way of the back exit/valet area of the Roosevelt. You can be in your room five minutes after leaving the Roosevelt.

I am not familiar with any of the others you listed. But I believe they are all in the same area of Sunset Blvd. Not a far walk by any means.

As to your thoughts about taking the Greyhound, I wouldn't try to talk you out of seeing your sister. BUt I am thinking a looooong bus ride cross country would be very tiring. And the last thinkg you should be when arriving at the Festival is tired. Just something to keep in mind.

This is a useful map of the area -

hollywood-map

(Definitely Click Through To Access Larger, More Readable Versions. Choose "Actions" and then "View All Sizes". Go to the "Original" size.)

The Roosevelt is on the left hand side area of the map. And the Quality Inn, while not listed on the map, would be just to the left of the "flag" pointing to The Roosevelt. (Hollywood Blvd. runs across the center of the map. The street (drawn unfinished) hinted to on the very far left is LaBrea. So that shows you just how close you would be. The hotels/Inns on Sunset would occupy the lower white area of the map on the left. At least, I know the Rodeway is in that area.

And for future reference, The Music Box theater where the filmed interview with Peter O'Toole will take place is the last "tall" building on Hollywood Blvd. the far right side of the map. (It isn't designated on the map but the building is drawn there.)

I hope this is somewhat helpful to you. If there is anything else you would like to know, please ask. I, or some others around here, may be able to offer more advice.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle: I was just trying to be funny about the tar pits. They mentioned them a lot on Dragnet along with Figaroa Street and a hospital on Georgia Street. I used to think that if I ever got out there I'd know where everything was at,

it's probably all changed.

I'm all set! TIA to Bob Hope on Wednesday with a room at The Comfort Inn which had the best reviews of the ones around there. I'll have plenty of time to unpack and look around as well as get anything I need. I'll go back Monday morning.

Can I recommend a brand of travel here? If you routinely travel or know the place you're going to I guess any one will work for you but for novices like me, go with Priceline. Unlike the other two biggies there's a place on the site to put in an address near where you're going-in this case the Roosevelt-and they list lodgings close by with addresses and phones, plus proximity to the airports and the address you listed. Like the others they list the amenities, and ratings based reviews of past customers. They were also the most polite, knowledgeable, and most importantly, patient. I can now start figuring what to bring along. The woman at Turner who took my ticket order suggested I bring a "cocktail dress" which I'm pretty certain I don't have so here's another adventure awaiting me. And I haven't even left yet! Like any Southern woman I have pearls. See you all soon!