Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When Comedy Was King (1960)

GreatMoviesFan

Did anybody catch this on late the other night? I recorded it, watched it last night and I just about laughed myself sick, it was all SO funny, especially Laurel and Hardy at the end in Big Business when they destroy the guy's house while he's destroying their car. That was just TOO funny! They should show that more often.

According to Hal Roach, the house they destroyed in the film turned out to be the wrong house. They had the wrong address and when the people who lived there returned home to find their house wrecked., Roach had to lay out a pretty penny for the repaires....

Edited by: fredbaetz on Nov 5, 2010 12:09 PM

That Roach story is soooo apocryphal.

WHEN COMEDY WAS KING is certainly the best of the Youngson compilations. Ted Royale's score is simply outstanding - one of the very best silent film accompaniments. Likewise Dwight Weist's handling of the narration. And, of course, the cutting is superb.

The first time I was WCWK was in the little theater in Grand Central Station in the early 70's. I had taken the train in to go to a Sons meeting at the Lambs Club. I was heading out the Lexington Avenue exit to go to Willougby Peerless (great film department) and caught the poster for WCWK. I took in the show and was very glad I did. Years later I was fortunate to be able to acquire one of Youngson's original 16mm prints of the film. A real sparkler. PS - the trailer for the film is a corker too!

I thought this compilation was from 1959. My favorite Youngson is probably 1970's FOUR CLOWNS. His final compilation, and maybe the best.

Besides WHEN COMEDY WAS KING, TCM has aired THE GOLDEN AGE OF COMEDY a few times, but I would like to see DAYS OF THRILLS and LAUGHTER. and THIRTY YEARS OF FUN. I haven't seen the former since the very early 80's, and have never seen the latter at all.

And yes the boys did destroy the wrong house! Whoops!

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> I thought this compilation was from 1959. My favorite Youngson is probably 1970's FOUR CLOWNS. His final compilation, and maybe the best.

>

> Besides WHEN COMEDY WAS KING, TCM has aired THE GOLDEN AGE OF COMEDY a few times, but I would like to see DAYS OF THRILLS and LAUGHTER. and THIRTY YEARS OF FUN. I haven't seen the former since the very early 80's, and have never seen the latter at all.

>

> And yes the boys did destroy the wrong house! Whoops!

I think there were two others post FOUR CLOWNS, LAUREL AND HARDY'S LAUGHING TWENTIES and THE FURTHER PERILS OF LAUREL AND HARDY.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> infinite1.

>

> The two Stan and Ollie compilations LAUGHING 20's is from 1965, and FUTHUR PERILS was 1967. 4 CLOWNS wasn't released until 1970 or '71.

ok, so there were 7 compilations, 8 if you count MGM's BIG PARADE OF COMEDY.