Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
johnkun77

Last night's "The Thing"

I'm just curious, is it me or was the picture quality to "the Thing" not all that great last night.

Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me.

What do you guys (and gals) think?

I had a hard time watching it.

I didn't watch this showing, but I assume they either use the same tape each time or else the movie is stored in a digital server so there shouldn't be any difference from showing to showing. However, there are some scenes in the film that are not the same quality as the rest of it.One of them is in the early part of the film which takes place in the general's office. It's like this in every version I've seen including the DVD. Seems to me I recall reading that the original negatives were damaged for these scenes and they had to "dupe" footage from 16mm prints, thus causing the drop in quality. I don't think this replacement footage accounts for more than 4 or 5 minutes of running time.

Watching 'The Thing' was great even though I've seen it before and as far as the quality of the print, it's far better than those 1916 flicks and all those silents.