Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Comedians

I am not sure how the rest of you feel, but I love all the comedians from the classic movies and television shows. There was no need for dirty comments, they were clean and naturally funny. I love them all from Bob Hope, to Danny Kaye (my cousin), to Red Skelton, to Carol Burnett, to Dean Martin. And for talk shows, NO ONE beats Johnny Carson and Lucy Ball. They are top of the line. I even love the Golden Girls! So who are your favorite comics? I would love to know

Lucille Ball is a huge one for me. I've been into her since I was 15. Even my dog is named Lucie. LOL I wasn't just into her, but her life and her family. I'm also a huge fan of Desi, Lucie Arnaz, and Desi Jr. Bea Arthur is fantastic. I don't know if she ever set out to be a comedienne but she cracks me up more than any of the other "Golden Girls." Same way she cracked me up when she was on "Maude" and when she guest starred on "All In The Family." I loved how she was the only one who could put Archie in his place. :P And she had that deadpan sarcasm down perfectly. And of course Buster.. with such a unique approach to comedy. It didn't surprise me to learn later that 1/ Buster had a hand in teaching Lucille Ball how to do physical comedy and 2/ that he would be able to spot that kind of talent in a lady. He saw the potential of women being funny when he made them a part of his gags in the movies he made.

And not too many people mention them - but "Saturday Night Live" has produced some rare talents. Gilda Radner is my favorite.

slcsjjb, Danny Kaye was YOUR COUSIN??????????? YOUR COUSIN?

*sigh* I loved Danny Kaye, I loved his timing, his enunciation, his face, his body movements, his everything! I loved the fact that his wife wrote those wonderful songs...The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true!...I loved his television show, AND I thought he was sexy. He was YOUR COUSIN!???!!!

Please, can you share what he was like? Was he as nice a human being as he seemed?

OH, and please, please tell me you remember a Victoria Meyerink on his show! Her name is stuck in my head for perpetuity, I can't get it out. Whatever happened to Victoria?

LOL, have I said that I love Danny Kaye?

I also love Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, George Carlin, Mort Sahl, John Byner, Jonathan Winters, Lucille Ball, George Burns and Gracie Allen, Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Parkyakarkus, Albert Brooks (his son), Denis Leary, Lewis Black, Totie Fields, Elaine Stritch, Robert Benchley, Abbott and Costello, John Belushi, Larry David, and on and on and on.

I so much appreciate the entertainment genre that is comedy. It is soooo difficult to make people laugh, as opposed to making them cry. There are very few comedians whom I don't like, but I don't like the current ones who have no cleverness whatsoever in their routines, and rely strictly on filth or insults.

YOUR COUSIN?????

My favorites are Keaton and the 3 Stooges. Keaton for his deadpan face and sorrowful eyes and The Stooges for their Mickey Finns and the way they butcher the English language. They all hold a special place in my heart. Keaton reminds me a lot of my grandfather. Funny as heck but with a stoic face. Moe Howard was a special man. He would dress up as Santa and bring gifts to the handicapped childrens home. What the studios did to Keaton (MGM) and The Stooges (Columbia) was a pity. But, they are in Comic Heaven and they are getting the last laugh!

I love Jack Benny my all time favorite. His TV show is a classic. I can tell you the first time I saw Jack was on PBS. There was 4 old shows they showed on a Sunday night and my father let me stay up to watch them. First was You Bet Your Life with Groucho and loved it then I stayed up one time and caught Benny and he was the ultimate. So, I watched Groucho and Benny then Burns and Allen then Laurel and Hardy came on but I never could get into them Laurel and Hardy. His timing was the best. I'll never forget when I first saw Wayne Newton see I knew the current version of Newton(not to be disrespectful) back in the early 60s or late 50s he was on Benny's show several times and man he had a real, real high voice and he didn't look like he looked in the 80s when I was watching PBS. I couldn't believe it- said to my Dad look it's a young Wayne Newton! Is..that the same Wayne Newton that's on the MD telethon...Mr. Vegas? Sure enough it was. My favorite Jack Benny moment is when Jack had an outdoor party by the pool.There are chairs for everyone and statues behind the pool. After everyone entertained Jack said I will and pulls out the violin. Of course, people start leaving unknown to Jack who is still playing and everyone is filing out and when everyone has left the statues start moving and they leave! I laughed and laughed! When Kelsey Grammer did a special about Jack Benny he showed this clip. I loved Jack Benny and he was so good on TV and radio. His radio shows can be checked out of the library here in town and they are so funny. of course, I could listen to Benny and Rochester banter for hours.