Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The George Raft Story(1962)

Pretty good film about George Rafts(Ray Danton)life.From his days during Prohibition as a dancer,his Hollywood years,his slow decline,his years in Havana till Castro took over,to his comeback in Some Like It Hot.

Jayne Mansfield played a good Betty Grable(Of course they didnt use her real name)

Neville Brand repeats his role as Al Capone.

Its got its share of mistakes,Sample,George didnt break up with Betty because of his mothers death.It was a religious matter.

Still a good film.

Dont Miss.

As Lowell Thomas said of "Lawrence of Arabia", the only thing they got right was the sand. Well, sadly the same can be said for "The George Raft Story", not the sand, but the name George Raft. As entertainment it's not bad, but as the story of Raft it's pretty awful and it was a shame for he did lead a very interesting life. He needed money badly so he sold the rights to his life and had hoped for Tony Curtis to play him. But the scripts were terriable and it became a cheap production of which he had no say in it......

So low budget that they used the same podiums for the band in the 20s as they did in the 50s, despite the change in location to Cuba.

Danton was good, but he's not Raft at all. He's at least a half-foot taller, better looking and had a much more pleasing speaking voice.

I haven't seen this movie for many years. But I do remember enjoying it for what it is. True, it's not a great film, but it is entertaining. I especially remember Ray Danton. Maybe he didn't look like Raft, but he was effective. He was a very under-rated actor. Usually he was cast as the villain, but he was really versatile. He just was not given a chance to show it.

Terrence.

I happen to like Danton very much. He was one of a number of actors who went from Universal to Warners (Grant Williams, Richard Long, Rex Reason, Jack Kelly, William Reynolds, Troy Donahue among others) and was shoved around from one series to another, and appearing in loads of movies with few leads.

Danton was born too late, 15 or 20 years earlier he probably would have enjoyed greater success being as handsome as any matinee idol but also capable of a toughness usually not associated with such types.

Thanks for the information, Clore. I had forgotten that there were so many former Universal actors that went to Warners. I do remember Ray Danton popping up on a lot of the Warners TV series. I think that is where I realized how versatile he was.

For a while, he was married to another favorite of mine, Julie Adams.

Terrence.

Some people thing Broadway(1942)George plays himself,is closer to the truth.

Ray Danton played gangster Legs Diamond twice,The Rise and Fall Of Legs Diamond(1960)and Portrait Of A Mobster(1961)

He was good in,Too Much,Too Soon(1958)His only film with Errol Flynn.

>>Thanks for the information, Clore. I had forgotten that there were so many former Universal actors that went to Warners.

You're welcome. I probably forgot a few, but it was as if Warners wanted to capitalize off Universal's training school. I can still recall the first time that I saw Ray Danton. It was an episode of 77 SUNSET STRIP in 1959, then I began to notice him on the other Warner shows and a year later in LEGS DIAMOND.

i have always like barrie chase & there's a bunch of clips on youtube from her appearances with fred astaire on his award-winning tv specials in the late 50s--he was the first to use color videotape, btw