Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All about Eve

DAKOTAWOMEN

EVE is partly about the crisis of a woman in th entertainment field turning 40. Davis was exctly 40 when she made the film. Streep & Kline are each past 60. Love 'em both & think it's inspired casting aside from the age factor.

I'd certainly wait until after I'd heard some reviews before I'd think about seeing a remake of EVE. So much of what makes the film work for me is the brilliant script... and surely they wouldn't refilm the old script...

brings up an interesting observation. Bette Davis was 42 when she played Margo (the character herself just turned the big 4-0)...that's the same age as Julia Roberts, Naomi Watts and Mira Sorvino, to name a few, are now. The Channing character spends the whole movie bemoaning her old age and lost youth/beauty, etc. The whole thing is unimaginable with so many modern actresses. So, what has changed? movie stars? society? our view of aging? Interesting.

You have a point there. I recall the first time I got to see EVE was on television back when I was in college & I watched it with my roomates (all theater types). We hooted then at the moaning about age and the old "a woman isn't anything without a husband" stuff. That was in the early 1970s. As good as EVE is (& I happen to think it is very good indeed) it is of its era. Society has passed much of it by.

And yes, I had considered that Streep (at least) looks as good at 60-ish as Davis & Crawford did at 40-ish. And Streeps career has been nowhere near as catch-as-catch-can over the past 20 years as David & Crawford's became beginning in the 1960s. Just underscores how much societyh has passed by the attitudes of the original EVE. A serious rethinking of it would have to be done for a remake. Not saying it can't happen or shouldn't happen, but if it hasn't got the acting talent and the scintillating dialogue, I probably will not be interested.

I just saw Naomi Watts in the new Woody Allen film, *You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger*. ( I have mixed opinions on that, but that's not for this thread.) Naomi looked fantastic in it - if she's 40, bring it on. But come to think of it, Bette Davis, at 42, looked pretty good in *All About Eve*.

> {quote:title=HarryLong wrote:}{quote}

> EVE is partly about the crisis of a woman in th entertainment field turning 40. Davis was exctly 40 when she made the film. Streep & Kline are each past 60. Love 'em both & think it's inspired casting aside from the age factor.

I like the casting suggested. I think it would be more accurate to the ageism faced now. Having 40-somethings talk about being over the hill now would be laughable; most serious actors hit their stride now at 40.

> I'd certainly wait until after I'd heard some reviews before I'd think about seeing a remake of EVE. So much of what makes the film work for me is the brilliant script... and surely they wouldn't refilm the old script...

What makes the story is the dynamics of the situation involved; Joseph L. Mankiewicz's brilliant screenplay duly noted. Many of the best lines are in keeping with the period. Still, it would be an intriguing assignment.

We learn something new every day. Even Tom Rothman left this little tidbit out during his wonderful beginning and ending commentary when the movie is shown on Fox. Patti LuPone is a worthy precipitant.

This movie is a time capsule of the period it was made showing how women?s perceived roles and ageism effected their lives. It?s sixty years later now and most of these ideas have been debunked or shoved underground although some of them still remain. It is well written and acted with a very appropriate ending. Eves exist in all walks of life now as they did then and always will. There is still tension in women?s lives between the career and personal aspects. It?s nice to it?s not a new problem.

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> We learn something new every day. Even Tom Rothman left this little tidbit out during his wonderful beginning and ending commentary when the movie is shown on Fox. Patti LuPone is a worthy precipitant.

>

> This movie is a time capsule of the period it was made showing how womens perceived roles and ageism effected their lives. Its sixty years later now and most of these ideas have been debunked or shoved underground although some of them still remain. It is well written and acted with a very appropriate ending. Eves exist in all walks of life now as they did then and always will. There is still tension in womens lives between the career and personal aspects. Its nice to its not a new problem.

Hum. Isn't Working Girl essentially the similar set-up, but viewed as the younger being the protagonist?. The protagonist/antagonist roles of younger/older being reversed. wow, hadn't noticed that before.

That would make an interesting double feature...

> {quote:title=traceyk65 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> > I only recently learned there is a Sarah Siddon's Award..

> > http://www.sarahsiddonssociety.org/html/Awardees.html

>

> Didn;t they start giving that after Eve came out?

Apparently, yes, they did. It is noted that it is a Chicago-based group, not Broadway. and Ironically Anne Baxter and Bette Davis won it jointly, but not until 1973! Celeste Holm won it before them in 1968. Helen Hayes won the first in 1953.

• 2 weeks later...

> {quote:title=johnbabe wrote:}{quote}

> they have face lifts and implants, tummy tucks and botox....Betty and Joan did not!

And they probably took better care of themselves than Bette. She lived her life to excess and that is not good for the skin or the figure.

• 4 weeks later...

i honestly don't know that anyone today could do the parts justice. the style of everything, from clothing, to speech patterns, to general scenery and sets, are so different that i don't know audiences could relate. it would have to be done very intuitively. i could almost see Aronofsky pulling it off, but no actors/actresses come to mind to do the Eve part full-on. also the dialogue (don't get me wrong i die for it every time) would come off stale today, but at the same time seem lacking if it was 'updated.'

it's a very interesting idea though, i can't tell if i would hate even the thought of a remake... or love it.

yes, sure the bimbos of today, actually take care of themselves, of course they give a great example to the youth of today, living their disgusting lives out in the open, at lease in the day of TCM's films, such things were kept under wraps, which is the way it should be!