Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MyFavoriteFilms

Titles that make you want to watch

- HITLER'S MADMAN (Who could've been more deranged than the Fuhrer?)

- JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG

- HANGMEN ALSO DIE! (I was beginning to think the Grim Reaper didn't come for them.)

- THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME

- SINCE YOU WENT AWAY

- THIRD FINGER LEFT HAND (I like to think the word left can be past tense of 'leave'...)

- OH DAD, POOR DAD, MAMA'S HUNG YOU IN THE CLOSET AND I'M FEELIN' SO SAD

- THE GORGEOUS HUSSY (We must be talking about Joan Crawford...)

- HE STAYED FOR BREAKFAST (He was probably gone by lunch.)

- WHAT! NO BEER? (They should've made a sequel called I'LL TAKE CHAMPAGNE.)

- CAGED

- LADY IN A CAGE (Olivia de Havilland is stuck in a stalled elevator.)

- WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY?

- SUPPOSE THEY GAVE A WAR AND NOBODY CAME (Probably my favorite title.)

- HUSH...HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE

- THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY

- SHE LEARNED ABOUT SAILORS (I'm sure she learned a lot!)

- WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? (And what about sister Blanche?)

- HELL BELOW

- HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE (Alternate title: HOW NOT TO MARRY A POOR BOY)

- IF I HAD A MILLION

- THE PLUNDERERS (Seems to suggest this movie will not be all dialogue...)

- SMASH UP, THE STORY OF A WOMAN

- I'LL CRY TOMORROW

- I WANT TO LIVE! (Susan Hayward gets the best titles.)

- DESPERATE SEARCH

- GUN CRAZY

- PHANTOM PRESIDENT

- THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (Elvis remake: THE DAY IT ROCKED AND ROLLED)

- THE BRIDE WORE RED (Except the film is in black & white so we can't really tell.)

- HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY (Again, the film is in black and white, so it looks gray.)

- ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (You just know they don't scrub behind the ears either.)

- THE DIARY OF A CHAMBERMAID

- THE RELUCTANT DEBUTANTE (Not so sweet sixteen.)

- OUT OF THE PAST

- THEY GAVE HIM A GUN (Gangster pic? War film? Western? Works across genres.)

- LOVE AFFAIR

- BLACK NARCISSUS

- THE LONG HOT SUMMER

- A LAWLESS STREET (Great western title)

- I MARRIED A WITCH & I MARRIED AN ANGEL (If you can't decide who you married.)

- THE BIG HANGOVER

- STRANGERS MAY KISS (It's nice to know you have permission.)

- IF WINTER COMES (Then spring follows.)

- HE WHO GETS SLAPPED (Note the woman is not at fault in this Norma Shearer pic.)

- WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

- THE THIRTEENTH CHAIR

- ADAM'S RIB (Clever title)

- NICE GIRL? (Don't you just love the question mark at the end of it...)

- THE STRAIGHT STORY

- MAN-PROOF (I still think this could be reused for a story about lesbians.)

- THE LEFT HANDED GUN

- THE PUBLIC ENEMY

- ON AN ISLAND WITH YOU (The ultimate romantic title)

- STORM WARNING & STORM CENTER (Meteorologists love these titles.)

Kiss the Blood Off My Hands

I'll Never Forget What's 'is Name

How to Make a Monster

Let's Kill All the Lawyers

I had never heard of this film (a British production). The title caught my interest and now it's at the top of my Netflix queue.

Carvehernamepride.jpg

_Synopsis from Netflix:_

When her husband is killed in battle, brave patriot Violette Szabo (Virginia McKenna) joins the British secret service and agrees to spy on the enemy -- even though it means being separated from her child. Eventually captured and tortured by the Nazis, the intrepid agent refuses to betray the Allies. Lewis Gilbert directs this drama based on R.J. Minney's biographical novel about the real-life heroine.

It's a recent movie I know, but I must say a title that REALLY intrigued me was "Ratatouille". I mean, what a cracking great title, from a studio who usually has very plain titles. It says "rat", "France", and "cooking" all in one word!

Any chance this might show up on TCM? I'd love to see a young Paul Scofield. If it turns up anywhere else, I'll catch it.

> Any chance this might show up on TCM? I'd love to see a young Paul Scofield. If it turns up anywhere else, I'll catch it.

Well, I don't see it on TCM in the near future (schedules are up through the first week in March)...but that doesn't mean TCM won't someday air it. Fortunately, as I said in an earlier post, it is available at Netflix. I am eager to see it...seems like a good story, and it's inspired by the biography of a real-life heroine.

I agree that we need more Paul Scofield titles on TCM...great actor.

> I MARRIED A WITCH & I MARRIED AN ANGEL (If you can't decide who you married.)

[*I Married a Monster From Outer Space*|http://justacineast.blogspot.com/2009/04/i-married-monster-from-outer-space.html]

> [*I Married a Monster From Outer Space*|http://justacineast.blogspot.com/2009/04/i-married-monster-from-outer-space.html]

From the files of Divorce Court, no doubt.

TCM always scheduled this title when I am not available to watch it. It took me over ten years to finally catch this movie. The title of this movie has always intrigued me and after finally watching this movie in October 2010 I cannot figure out why it was given the title. The title was not mention by any of the characters in the movie and there was no character named after the title. The movie was highly entertaining though, is now one of my favorites and I highly recommend that TCM Programmer schedule this movie during prime time hours: Mourning Becomes Electra.

*The World's Greatest Sinner*

*Blast of Silence*

*I Died a Thousand Times*

*I Bury the Living*

*Kiss of Death*

> after finally watching this movie in October 2010 I cannot figure out why it was given the title: Mourning Becomes Electra.

I think there may have been a reference to it in the stage play. O'Neill's play originally ran six hours (with a dinner intermission). RKO's version, which you saw in October, had a running time under three hours...so more than half the original material was not used.

I think the programmers did a good job of airing MOURNING BECOMES ELECTRA in the late afternoon hours. It was not primetime, but at least it was not during the wee hours of the morning. I do hope they schedule it again...it's a great film with excellent performances from everyone.

Speaking of ...Mixed Up Zombies, there are all kinds of titles that you hear and you just KNOW they are bad movies, like Plan 9 From Outer Space or Samson vs the Vampire Women. Then there are titles that make a great movie sound stupid, a recent example being How to Train Your Dragon--sounds stupid but the film is nothing like the title. Then there are titles that are so generic they don't give you a clue about how great the movie is, like Remember the Night. INCREDIBLE movie, very generic title. Know what I mean?

Edited by: LonesomePolecat on Nov 29, 2010 6:31 PM

*Speaking of ...Mixed Up Zombies, there are all kinds of titles that you hear and you just KNOW they are bad movies, like Plan 9 From Outer Space or Samson vs the Vampire Women. Then there are titles that make a great movie sound stupid, a recent example being How to Train Your Dragon--sounds stupid but the film is nothing like the title. Then there are titles that are so generic they don't give you a clue about how great the movie is, like Remember the Night. INCREDIBLE movie, very generic title. Know what I mean?*

I actually think PLAN 9's alternate title does a better job of saying"bad movie": GRAVE-ROBBERS (-DIGGERS) FROM OUTER SPACE.

Generic the title REMEMBER THE NIGHT is. But so are REMEMBER THE DAY and A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, and amazingly all great movies IMHO.