Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MARY PICKFORD'S THE HOODLUM ON TONIGHT! TCM Premier!

gagman66

Another Television debut of a long unseen *Mary Pickford* feature from 1919 *THE HOODLUM* is being showcased this evening on Silent Sundays. As with *THE POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL,* I have never seen this movie before. New orchestral score composed by *Bonnie Ruth Janofsky,* a composer who I am not familiar with. Hope that it is good. The film has been restored by *AMPAS,* and unlike the debut the other night, I believe there should be 35 materials of *THE HOODLUM* to draw from. Here's hoping for a crisp new print. Don't forget to tune in or record the broadcast! This picture has not yet been released on DVD.

MaryPickfordTheFlower.jpg

Wendy,

I give the print of *THE POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL* about a B-. A nice tinted print with varying degrees of sharpness. Again probably from 16 Millimeter elements though. I'm not sure any 35 Millimeter materials survive. Though still probably much better than the Public Domain version that you have. And Philip Carli's new score was emotionally involving. I loved the film. *THE HOODLUM* should look a little better pictorially speaking I believe. Will soon find out.

Well, at least if I didn't get it, I don't see everyone going gaga over the version that was on TCM.... it's a bit of a consolation.

Too bad they didn't have nice print like The Marriage Circle. You would think the Pickford films would be in good condition, since she is well known.

Wendy,

Actually, *THE POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL* was Number 3 on the TCM Movie Data Base yesterday. So allot of people saw the broadcast and really enjoyed the film. Overall, the print was pretty good, it just had allot of artifacts. It was certainly in much better shape than *YANKEE DOODLE IN BERLIN* was. That was really disappointing. Looked about the same as my Grapevine copy.

Some of Mary's films are in very good condition. For instance *MY BEST GIRL* looks virtually pristine.

Yankee Doodle in Berlin was pretty beat up, but that seems about right - it's more obscure. I was thinking that when you have big well known stars, that last the test of time, their films seem to be in better condition. Probably because they had their own storage away fromt he studio.

Late in her life, Mary wanted to destroy all of her films because she felt that they were too old fashioned and that no one would appreciate them. I don't recall who talked her out of if (Matty Kemp maybe?), but I am glad that those that survived were preserved. I am looking forward to tonight's presentation of THE HOODLUM too!

*THE HOODLUM* was terrific! I didn't like it quite as well as *POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL,* but it was still very good. Thank you TCM for the great debut!

Hopefully, we will see more Pickford's in the coming year. TCM has yet to premier the newly restored and scored *SPARROWS (1926).* Just re-mastered by the Library of Congress in 2006, with a new score by the talented Jeffrey Mark Silverman. We are still awaiting the long delayed DVD release. TCM used to run the old KIlliam version of this film.

But in addition it also would be nice to see debuts of features such as *HEART O' THE HILLS, M'LISS, TROUGH THE BACK DOOR,* and *LITTLE LORD FAUNTLEROY.* All have been on DVD for several years now from Milestone, but have not been shown on TCM. The latter titles are two of my favorite Pickford movies. Both boasting fantastic musical scores.

I knew she had tried to destroy a few of them, but I had no idea she thought it would be best to destroy them all! We are so LUCKY she did not succeed.

It's funny, because I find Pickford's films to be extremely modern. Sometimes I feel they are so far ahead of their time. Her characterization is very natural and realistic without ever being forced, as if she had been plunked down in 1919 from our time period with our style of acting.The actual film-making is also very much in the rhythms we use today. The editing style and mise en scene are terrifically breezy and relaxed, and Mary comes across as completely believable at all times.

They are some of the most accessible of the silents as far as I am concerned. No wonder she was the most popular female star of her day. She deserved it, she was a real groundbreaker in every way. And I think her films have come back around to being anything BUT old-fashioned.

I don't think that Mary actually ever destroyed anything of her work. She had thought about it and was talked out of the notion by Lillian Gish and some other people.Thank heaven.

Colleen Moore did give many of her Silent films to The Museum Of Modern Art, including *FLAMING YOUTH* and it ended up being lost anyway.

On a related note, here is a video of Kevin Brownlow's Honorary Oscar exception speech from Saturday evening.

http://www.oscars.org/video/watch/ga_2010_18_brownlow.html

When I saw The Hoodlum(1919) last night I felt like I saw the most entertaining silent in my life. As a first time viewer of a this film, the expectation of this film was high, and its very rare for films to exceed my expectations and it usually don't matter anyways because I never expect them to. But when I finished watching this film, I was like WOW, I was in shock for like 15 minutes.

This film really speaks to me which is odd because I'm 26 years old and this film is like 91 years old. I've seen quite a few silents this past year and loved a great deal, but for some reason this film is so entertaining to me and so genius in performance. I mean I must have fell off my chair laughing like 10 times during the whole film.

This film really proves how dynamic Pickford was and how she wasn't just some boring"Julia Roberts" she was a total genius! Screw that America's sweetheart crap she was the total package! Also she wasn't American, she was a Canadian!

Hopefully TCM shows my favorite Pickford film Suds(1921) and Sparrows!!!

SisterLuke,

Here is a very nice thread on THE HOODLUM from Nitrateville. Harold Ahren's review is fantastic. Most thought the film was great, but there was one cynic that was very hard to understand.

Also linked the thread for POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL. Hope you are watching THE IRON HORSE the print is gorgeous.

http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?t=7671

http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?t=7641

Oh yes gagman, I'm thankfully aware of nitrateville and I'm "bankofamericassweetheart" on that forum.

Yes I am watching the The Iron Horse and absolutely love the print! It's also my first time watching this film! I guess the one good thing about that mediocre TCM series is that we are getting all these beautiful silents all this month.