Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
markbeckuaf

Totally digging the new morning movie intros!

I just noticed the new morning movie intros, and wow, thank you, TCM!!! I love this one MUCH better than the noisy urban/modern one that had the guy running up the stairs. I never liked that one and pined for the older one that had the milkman (it was animated, I believe). This one is awesome though, more low-key and classy!

Is the new opening available somewhere on the TCM web site? I'd love to see it right now, although I can certainly wait until tomorrow morning to check it out on the channel itself.

Of all of the newer openings, I also never liked the morning one that was just replaced -- it was my least favorite of the newer openings, while the old morning opening, with the animation based on Edward Hopper paintings and Chet Baker singing "Look for the Silver Lining," was always one of my favorites. I really didn't like the newer opening's focus on the work day, showing a cab ride and someone running up some steps in business dress. Who wants to think about the work day while watching TCM? And the generic blues music sure didn't match the Chet Baker recording in the old opening.

I also like the newest afternoon opening, with the Rube Goldberg device, although I still miss the old big band opener. The one that came in between, showing the melancholy folks riding the subway and sitting in their apartments, was OK, but a little depressing. Again, who wants that while watching TCM?

I'm really glad that they've kept the "TCM - Open All Night" opening for the wee hours. That's definitely the coolest opening they've ever had, in my opinion -- I love the mellow jazz and the late night scenes in diners.

The new evening opening is pretty mediocre, I think. I guess it's OK that they again want to show urban scenes, but what's the deal with projecting the movie on the top of a building? Seems kind of ridiculous and vaguely like a cheesy animated opening from an 80s cable movie channel. (Maybe they could save it by having the urban folks going into a preserved urban movie palace, which seems more appropriate for TCM.) The original evening opener, with the "fanfare" music, had a lot of class, which is now missing.

The new opening for the short subjects is pretty good -- better than the stand full of postcards, which didn't have distinctive music. Again, though, the original "One-Reel Wonders" opening was by far the best -- the cute little tune always caught my attention and made me want to see the short film that was coming next.

Bing, I'm with you 100%!!!! I'm not sure if they have the new morning opening anywhere on the site, but I'm sure one of our knowledgeable posters will know!

I totally agree, and thank you for reminding me of the song of that older morning opening! I totally dug that and I still like it better even than the newest one, but the newest one is WAY better than the one with the sax, the dude running up the stairs, etc---it was too loud and made me think of going to work, you're right, and who needs or wants that??? LOL

I also totally dug the big band intro for afternoon films, but I agree, that the newer one is better than the depressing one that they had for a while. I actually liked the music of that one, but again, it was too dark and somber.

I also agree that the old evening intro they had for tons and tons of years was the best and the current one is weak. I hope they change that one soon.

And agree, I'm also very glad they retained the late night one, that is WAY cool and perfect for late night classic film viewing. It also reminds me of the late 80's and 90's for some reason, and I like that!

I like the new intro also. It seems shorter than the others. Maybe by a few seconds? And it seems simpler and more focused on the elements of storytelling. _Much_ better than the other intros.

P.S. I noticed that most of the images in this new intro are from MGM, Warners and RKO films. Why don't they just admit it's a Time Warner Movie Channel, like Fox has their own.

*Watch that evening intro next chance you get (people gathering to watch movie projected onto a building) - it gives new meaning to the advertising term "18 to 34."*

Am I the only one worried that when Kyle is in his 70s (many, many years from now) he will still be posting to remind us all that TCM does not chase the 18 to 34 demographic?

He posts incredibly well-written posts about this very subject and I'm starting to think it might be time to revisit the whole "sticky" concept just so he doesn't have to spend his "golden years" posting the same information over and over.

I've seen the new opening a couple of times this morning -- they did a great job this time.

I really like the pop-up book idea with film scenes -- glad that they chose Bringing Up Baby and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, among others!

And the jazz with a clarinet melody that they used for the music is very, very good -- it really fits the era that many of TCM's movies come from (much more than the generic blues in the previous morning opening). I can't tell if it's really from an old record, or if they recorded a new song and added the surface noise from a record (like they did on the old One-Reel Wonders song). Either way, they did a great job. I listen to a lot of old jazz from the 20s and 30s, and this really works.

Thanks, TCM!!

I just saw the new opening this morning and it actually made me stop in my tracks and watch it -- it's simply delightful...quite unlike the previous opening with the blues music that sent my flying for the remote so I could MUTE the darn thing. Blech! That opening just never seemed to fit with the overall gestalt of TCM.

Nice work, TCM folks!

I've seen the new opening a couple of times this morning -- they did a great job this time.

I really like the pop-up book idea with film scenes -- glad that they chose Bringing Up Baby and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, among others!

And the jazz with a clarinet melody that they used for the music is very, very good -- it really fits the era that many of TCM's movies come from (much more than the generic blues in the previous morning opening). I can't tell if it's really from an old record, or if they recorded a new song and added the surface noise from a record (like they did on the old One-Reel Wonders song). Either way, they did a great job. I listen to a lot of old jazz from the 20s and 30s, and this really works.

Thanks, TCM!!

The name of the track is Jelly's Blues by Keith Nichols. You can listen to it here: https://www.emipm.com/en/us#/browse/labels/KPM/91

• Like 1