Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Totally grooving to the tribute to a living legend next month!!!

markbeckuaf

The Mick!!! I have to admit that I hadn't really looked that carefully at December as some things in my life may have intruded upon me enjoying it fully, but it looks like that will be delayed a bit, so I'll get to enjoy a month long tribute to The Mick!! Thursdays all month, all Mick, all day 24 hours!!! The first one has a ton of pre-codes, and though I'm not as big a fan of some of his musicals, I do have a soft spot for the Hardy series, and also included is a ton of his later flicks, often noir!

Thank you, TCM!!! What a great and wonderful tribute to a living legend!!! I hope they have a chance to bring him to introduce some of the films, that would be even more awesome!!

I guess a few people out there will be upset about a whole month for Mickey Rooney (after all what did he ever do?), but not me. I will kind of pick and choose from the month's schedule, a little disappointed that "Bridges at Toko Ri" is not on the schedule (probably the fault of R O and those idiots at TCM central who are so evil). Oh well, you take what you can. I still give TCM a 9 out of 10 score; last year they gave me the whole Basil Rathbone/Sherlock Holmes series on Christmas AND the William Powell /Thin Man movies on New Years Eve.

I'm not upset about Mickey Rooney as SOTM either. Some of his stuff I will pass on...some of it, I will immensely enjoy, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with the choice especially since he is a living legend when there are so few from the classic period left.

Edited by: sewannie on Nov 17, 2010 12:58 PM

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

I still give TCM a 9 out of 10 score; last year they gave me the whole Basil Rathbone/Sherlock Holmes series on Christmas AND the William Powell /Thin Man movies on New Years Eve.

I'm with you, MrRoberts! And they gave us Bogie all month last year, and I'll admit I dig him more! But a living legend, someone still with us, it's awesome! PLUS, we get the Marx Bros on NYE this year!!!

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> Just so no one misunderstands me, I'm 100% for Mickey Rooney getting the star of the month, he just turned 90 and is still going strong (like a Timex watch). He would be a great TCM interview, eh?

Indeed he would!!! He was awesome a few years ago in one of the Robert Osborne interviews, and I'd love to see him do another!

Going to see Mickey (and his wife, Jan) "put on a show", next week at a very small venue, here in Carson City, Nevada. Not quite sure what to expect, but it's an opportunity that I couldn't pass up. Love him or hate him, he is an American film institution. You've got to give Mickey props for longevity, if nothing else!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's THIS month now and I've been grooving to quite a few of The Mick's films so far! I'm not a huge fan of his bouncy stuff with MGM in it's heyday but I'm enough of a classic studio era fan to appreciate it. And I've been mostly grooving to his off-beat stuff, like KILLER MCCOY, QUICKSAND and THE STRIP! All of it is good when it's a living legend though, only actor to still be rocking who appeared in silent films...and man, that stands for something in my book!!!

This week we have all (I think) of the Andy Hardy films, and though again not a huge fan of those, I will probably check a few of them out! I love the Mick and I love that period of film!