Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rare film ?King Solomon?s Mines? 1937 11-18

FredCDobbs

Rare film this afternoon at 4:30 PM Eastern time.

Paul Robeson has a fairly substantial role in this early version.

King Solomon's Mines (1937)

African explorers enlist an exiled native chief to help them find a legendary treasure.

Cast: Paul Robeson, Cedric Hardwicke, Roland Young, John Loder Dir: Robert Stevenson BW-80 mins, TV-G

Yes, this one isn't aired too often. I have set the DVR. Missing from your cast list is the great actress Anna Lee who later spent decades on TV's General Hospital...she was married to director Robert Stevenson.

Among her other film credits: HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY (which is scheduled on FMC next week), HANGMEN ALSO DIE!, BEDLAM (which is scheduled on TCM in the next few days), THE CRIMSON KIMONO which recently aired on TCM, and THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

Kingsol2.jpg

This is my favorite of all the versions done of the story...everything in it seems just so right. "Mighty Mountain", the main song Robeson sings in the film, is a great tune and IMHO should have gotten an OScar nomination for Best original Song.

I wouldn't consider this one so "rare" because TCM does show it now and then (how I got it recorded a few years ago), and it has been released on DVD by MGM/Warner.

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote} I wouldn't consider this one so "rare" because TCM does show it now and then (how I got it recorded a few years ago), and it has been released on DVD by MGM/Warner.

I think the word "rare" gets used far too much. A film that's available on DVD, is shown on TCM, from time to time, and is available to watch for free online, isn't close to being rare. To me a rare film is one with few existing copies which usually are in an archive or private collection and for whatever reason not available for viewing.

> {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote} I wouldn't consider this one so "rare" because TCM does show it now and then (how I got it recorded a few years ago), and it has been released on DVD by MGM/Warner.

>

> I think the word "rare" gets used far too much. A film that's available on DVD, is shown on TCM, from time to time, and is available to watch for free online, isn't close to being rare. To me a rare film is one with few existing copies which usually are in an archive or private collection and for whatever reason not available for viewing.

No, that is a "very rare" film.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote} I wouldn't consider this one so "rare" because TCM does show it now and then (how I got it recorded a few years ago), and it has been released on DVD by MGM/Warner.

> >

> > I think the word "rare" gets used far too much. A film that's available on DVD, is shown on TCM, from time to time, and is available to watch for free online, isn't close to being rare. To me a rare film is one with few existing copies which usually are in an archive or private collection and for whatever reason not available for viewing.

>

> No, that is a "very rare" film.

I agree with Mark that "rare" gets used way too often. "Very rare" is subjective, I think.

Fred, you describe the definition of "rare". Mine would be a film which hardly ever....if at all...gets shown on tv and has NEVER been released on home video in any format. That, to me, is "rare".