Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE RUNNING TIME OF SUNNYSIDE UP.

cody1949

> {quote:title=cody1949 wrote:}{quote}

> If the running time of Sunnyside Up is 121 minutes, how and why are they squeezing it into a 90 minute time slot on Dec.21? Is there missing footage or are we getting an abbreviated version? That would be so unlike TCM to do that.

>

I still have no idea how they're going to make that work. I brought it up way back when the December schedule was first posted and am surprised that by this time the schedule still apparently has not been adjusted to accommodate the long running time of "Sunny Side Up".

All of the movies currently scheduled to follow "Sunny Side Up" on that night's schedule are pretty tight fits into their time slots, so there's no openings that would allow TCM to just move everything ahead a half hour (or more, to include Robert Osborne's comments).

So...we shall see!

I just HOPE it will not be found necessary to pull "Sunny Side Up" from the schedule that night.

It's still over a month away, but obviously If 121 minutes is accurate something will have to give. To me, the simplest way to fix it would be to adjust the starting times of the films that follow SUNNYSIDE UP and drop PRIVATE SCREENINGS at 5am. At least that way, none of the features need to be dropped.

> {quote:title=cody1949 wrote:}{quote}

> Yes, TCM has adjusted the problem.

>

I just checked and it's now in a two-hour time slot (8 to 10). But that's still not going to work, as the movie is 121 minutes and I can't imagine they're planning to run it without the usual comments before & after by Robert Osborne. So it still needs more than 120 minutes.

"Sunnyside Up" runs almost 122 minutes. I haven't seen the restored version. If the Twentieth Century Fox logo is present at the start of the film that will add a few more seconds. (The logo actually shouldn't be present; however it may be.) Also ... at the close of the film the song "If I had a Talking Picture of You" was originally played and is present on some prints today. If that song is present at the end of the film for the December 21 airing ... it will add about 2 more minutes.

And if Robert Osborne comments before and after the film ... another few minutes are added. So the film needs to be in a 130 minute time slot.

There's wiggle room because the next film is listed at 104 minutes. Maybe "Swing Time" will simply start at 10:15pm even though it isn't listed as such.

> {quote:title=coder1953 wrote:}{quote}

> ...If Robert Osborne comments before and after the film ... another few minutes are added. So the film needs to be in a 130 minute time slot.

> There's wiggle room because the next film is listed at 104 minutes. Maybe "Swing Time" will simply start at 10:15pm even though it isn't listed as such.

>

That's probably how it will go, which is fine with me, as I'm aware and ready for it. But it's still bound to cause problems for some folks who set their recording devices going by the scheduled start & end times.

> {quote:title=coder1953 wrote:}{quote}

> "Sunnyside Up" runs almost 122 minutes. I haven't seen the restored version. If the Twentieth Century Fox logo is present at the start of the film that will add a few more seconds. (The logo actually shouldn't be present; however it may be.) Also ... at the close of the film the song "If I had a Talking Picture of You" was originally played and is present on some prints today. If that song is present at the end of the film for the December 21 airing ... it will add about 2 more minutes.

>

Report from a friend who saw the restored print at MoMA two weeks ago:

It does not have the 20th Century-Fox logo tacked on (thankfully!) and it does include the exit music.

He was quite impressed with how good the print looks compared to copies we'd seen over the years, even including the one shown on AMC back in the 1990's. But what really impressed him was the greatly improved soundtrack. Pops and background hiss were cleaned up, and many times where Janet Gaynor's soft voice had formerly been hard to hear clearly, it's much better.

So, looking forward more than ever to seeing it on TCM on the 21st.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that TCM has changed the running time of "Sunnyside Up" to 118 minutes. It had been listed (accurately) at 121 minutes. Is the restored version a bit shorter than the original? Just wondering what's up? Can the film be sped up ever so slightly to squeeze it into a two hour time slot? I guess we'll find out on December 21.

I have to say that this is the most unexpected premier in years! Can't wait. to see the restored version. I'm gratified that TCM is also running *STREET ANGEL* in February. But where on earth is *SEVENTH HEAVEN???* Especially considering that it was just released on Blu-ray in France last month. Wouldn't mind seeing *LUCKY STAR* either.

I saw *Sunny Side Up* last spring on the big screen. My feeling was that if El Brendel and Marjorie White weren't in this film it would be a much harder film to sit through. Brendel and White basically steal the film from Gaynor and Farrell and thank heavens they do!

I'll be watching it again this week as well because it goes so over-the-top in so many places!