Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Political dramas that TCM ought to be airing

I have one or two items I'd like to make mention of. First, let me say that I'm getting sick and tired of the frequent airings of movies like THE BEST MAN or SEVEN DAYS IN MAY. Enough already. How about some fresh political red meat? For instance, how about...WASHINGTON: BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, the blockbuster 1977 ABC-TV mini-series based on the Watergate scandal. You think Nixon was a howl wait until you get a load of Jason Robards as President Richard Monckton! The mini-series also has a powerful score by composer Dominic Frontiere. TCM programmers, get of your lazy butts and procure that. I haven't seen it since it last aired on A&E at least ten years ago. Here's another one...WILL: G GORDON LIDDY, the 1980 made-for-TV movie with a stand-out performance by Robert Conrad as the Watergate conspirator. Why can't TCM get a hold of and show great stuff like these two items? Osborne and crew need help...alot of it. Will they take these two great suggestions of mine to mind? No, of course not. I'm just whistling past the taping system. The infernal self-praising idiots!

While there are a few made-for-TV movies that i would not mind seeing air on TCM, I'd be surprised to see a mini-series ever show up. Wasn't WASHINGTON: BEHIND CLOSED DOORS 12 hours long (with commercials)? I thought that there was no difference between Robards as Monckton and Robards as Al Capone.

BLIND AMBITION with Martin Sheen as John Dean was a good one.

Wouldn't mind seeing Peter Boyle as TAIL GUNNER JOE again

On my Netflix queue I have EXECUTIVE ACTION, an early 70s flick starring Burt Lancaster and Robert Ryan. It's about the Kennedy assassination, told from the point of view of the conspiracy theorists. It supposedly makes the Warren Commission report look like child's play. I have a feeling Oliver Stone was heavily influenced by this film when he did JFK nearly twenty years later.

TCM should air it...it's part of the Warners video library.

Executive_Action1973.jpg

I'm surprised that EXECUTIVE ACTION hasn't shown up on the schedule. Especially since I bought the DVD a year ago (for $5.70) and usually when I buy a film that I haven't seen in years, it shows up on the schedule a few months later.

I don't suppose these self-praising rubes would ever air a 12 hour mini-series. That's fine...they should just be up front and acknowledge that they are slack programmers. I am tired of all the egotistical noise from boobs like Osborne.

Please don't show anything Watergate, sick of it from my youth! :(

How about "Bloody Sunday" (2002), it is a bit recent though.

Concerning theatrical movies, instead of political dramas, Hollywood should do a comedy satire that contains all the political, social and economic stories during the past 10 years. They got enough material, like airport patdowns, the last election, Christine O'Donnell who don't beleive in ****, Sarah Palin, the gulf oil spill, Enron, etc. We are overdue for an "Airplane / Hot Shots / Top Secret" type of comedy.

Got the perfect title for it *Don't Touch My Junk.*

9058693-large.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Nov 21, 2010 12:46 PM

*I am tired of all the egotistical noise from boobs like Osborne.*

No one is forcing you to watch TCM. You have control over your tv viewing. You can always watch other channels since you think TCM isn't delivering the type of programming you want.

And what's the point of continuing to watch RO and TCM if you don't like them?

Edited by: lzcutter for grammar

*"And what's the point of continuing to watch RO and TCM if you don't like them?"* - lzcutter

TCM must be sit between the History Channel and E! Channel on some cable systems. When viewers try to surf between "Ice Road Truckers" and "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" they must land accidently on TCM. (Damn those greasy fingers.)

Kyle ("No one can eat just one", ya know ) In Hollywood

Speaking of "Ice Road Truckers" I've been watching "IRT Deadliest Roads". What a nail biting series, the guts and the raw nerve it take for *anyone* to drive that road in northern India dubbed "The Freefall Highway". Has sections like *Pile of Corpses,* etc. Some parts of the road has a 3,000+ foot straight down drop. This is what should be made in 3D! (it is in HD though) Has both tension and humor within it. I told you all this stuff is getting better than mainstream movies!! Wake up Hollywood. :|

irt[ideadliest[/i]roads+3.jpg]

The movie "Missing" (1982) starring Jack Lemmon is simply not just hard to find, its that *very few* people today know whats the movies plot is about. This is a virtually forgotten chapter of recent history, I still remember that coup very well.

On September 1973 Salvador Allende the first Marxist ever democraticly elected into office in a non-communist country, Chile was overthrown with the help of the CIA and replaced by a 4 man junta lead by General Augusto Pinochet Ugarte. Everything was started off by a Chilean nation wide truckers strike.

A senior official at the time said 5,200 civilians were detained at the sports stadium mentioned in the movie and were tried by court martial. The son Jack Lemmon was looking for was one of them.

> {quote:title=The_Destroyer wrote:}{quote}

> I forgot to mention that. I've always wanted to see *the late Peter Boyle as Joe McCarthy*.

I'd like to see that too, But, Peter was actually 32 when he made *Tail Gunner Joe*, and he lived another 29 years. But, having a dead man play Joe McCarthy would be interesting.

>>But, Peter was actually 32 when he made Tail Gunner Joe, and he lived another 29 years. But, having a dead man play Joe McCarthy would be interesting.

Actually, he was 42, but the thought of Boyle having an additional 10 years for us to enjoy is s nice one.

Ed Asner was a good Huey Long that same year in *The Life and Assassination of the Kingfish*, another one I'd like to see again.