Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Counsellor at Law

Did my eyes decieve me, or did I see COUNSELLOR AT LAW with John Barrymore & Bebe Daniels on the schedule coming up this winter? I have heard this is an excellent film, but haven't seen it because it is not an MGM or RKO movie, and isn't released on DVD or video. Can anyone enlighten me? My assumption is that MGM has purchased the viewing rights...?

Alix, Counsellor at Law (1933), produced at Universal, is scheduled for January 2, 2005 at 10:00 PM on TCM. It's just one opinion, but I think that this film and the seldom seen Twentieth Century(1934) contain two of John Barrymore's best performances-- the latter movie is outrageous, while "Counsellor..." is realistic, ironic, dramatic and ironic and comic at times. It's based on the work of one of the great, sadly forgotten American playwrights of the 1920s, Elmer Rice.

Good to see both you and Sandy posting again.

It's great to see all of you posting!

I'm very happy to hear that TCM will be playing this great movie. As Sandy stated, it is on DVD, and I rented it from Netflix a few months ago after Feaito gave it a rave review. It was awesome. John Barrymore does give one of his best performances, and the rest of the cast was equally as good. It was also great to see legendary Thelma Todd, and Bogart's first wife, Mayo Methot in small roles. Also impressive was director Vincent Sherman, who, in an acting role, really burns up the screen as a young revolutionary. But this film is really first rate, and a true forgotten gem. Anyone who wants to see great acting should not miss it.