Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Desperate to know=movie name please

cottagebloom

There is an old movie, I don't have a lot of information, I saw it a month ago, and dont remember the name. All i can remember is how there was a young woman (niece or servant) and she lived with an older woman and she found out about a fortune in the fireplace and, there was something to do with a gentleman her age who got in on her idea to take the fortune.

I think it starts out that some woman was murdered, and the guy who did it shows up at the house and is the one who convinces the girl to try to steal the money. The girl was a big name star I believe.

That's all the information I can remember now.

Edited by: cottagebloom on Nov 22, 2010 11:41 PM

I could be totally wrong...(and probably am lol)... but it kinda sounds like...

Ladies in Retirement http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033802/ ...starring Ida Lupino.

Quoting from imdb...

" In this film, LADIES IN RETIREMENT, she gave a performance that deserved some recognition (such as a nomination). Her character is the only sane (or semi-sane) member of a family of three sisters, who has been keeping an eye on the two mad ones (one of whom is Elsa Lanchester). Unfortunately, she is the employee of Isobel Elsom, who is appalled at the eccentric behavior of the two sisters, and discharges Lupino to get rid of the three. Poor foolish lady. While playing her favorite new music (it is 1885, so she is playing "**** Willow" - paging "TOPSY TURVEY")the music is suddenly stopped in a crashing way, and Ms Elsom disappears. The three sisters are now mistresses of the Elsom home, and all might succeed peacefully, except for the appearance of Lupino's nephew (Louis Heyward) who is suspicious and greedy. There is also a new maid (Evelyn Keyes) who likes the nephew, and can be decidedly impertinent to Lupino. If the other two sisters could only be a little stronger, then possibly Lupino could overcome the problems of growing suspicions. Unfortunately, they are no help. Eventually Elsom's remains are uncovered in the flower bed in the garden. Lupino is arrested, but she is worried about the two sisters. And here is the final poignant slap at her: The sisters are going to a madhouse, but Lanchester smilingly reassures Lupino that they'll be fine while she is going away. Lupino realizes she could have avoided her fate by putting the mad ones away earlier, and they are so far gone mentally they don't appreciate the horrible hole she put herself into for them.

Oddly enough, the film is based is based on a real murder from the mid 1880s, but from France. A woman named Euphresie Mercier (who was barely sane herself) murdered a woman who befriended her, Madame Elodie Minetret in April 1883, and buried her in the garden of her home. This was to give a home to Mercier's mad brother and two sisters. But when she refused to pay blackmail to a nephew, he informed the police of his suspicions. The brother and sisters went to an insane asylum. Euphresie ended up in prison (due to being in her 60s, she was given a 20 year sentence). "

Edited by: chinaberry on Nov 23, 2010 9:31 AM

Well, Chinaberry named the film I was thinking of. There is a fortune in the fireplace in that one, IIRC. But, there is no fortune in the fireplace in *Night Must Fall*, is there? I certainly don't remember that there was. It was basically about who was killing girls, and was it Robert Montgomery.

> {quote:title=cottagebloom wrote:}{quote}

> All i can remember is how there was a young woman (niece or servant) and she lived with an older woman and she found out about a fortune in the fireplace and, there was something to do with a gentleman her age who got in on her idea to take the fortune.

Ladies in Retirement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU_sCs3xPxY&feature=related