Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
allaboutlana

Do You Know This Song?

Thanks. The movie version of "South Pacific" was on TCM recently. One of the songs in the movie was written especially for the movie version and was not in the original stage production. Can you name that song?

"Stella By Starlight" by Victor Young...First featured in "The Uninvited" starring Ray Milland. Stella was played by the tragic Gail Russell.

Thanks, Here's an old standard.

Maybe I shall meet him Sunday,

Maybe Monday - maybe not,

Still I'm sure to meet him one day-

Maybe Tuesday

Will be my good news day.

Song and movie title, singer, and composer?

The song is "The Man I Love" by George Gershwin. It is from the stage musical "Lady Be Good" (1924), but both movie versions of the play didn't have the song. "Lady Be Good" from 1929 was a silent movie. The 1941 version with Eleanor Powell had a completely different plot and didn't use the song. You might associate the song with Alan Alda since it was sung in two movies where he starred: "Rhapsody In Blue"(1945), George Gershwin's bio-picture, where it was sung by Hazel Scott, and "The Man I Love"(1947), where it was sung by Ida Lupino while being dubbed by Peg La Centra. Also, while it was an old standard for Billie Holiday, it wasn't featured in "Lady Sings The Blues", maybe because they didn't have the rights...

Mudskipper got it. I was thinking of the Ida Lupino movie. Did you ever notice how a young Robert Alda resembled Cary Grant? Of course, Cary did the Cole Porter biopic, "Night And Day". Muddy, you're up.

Sorry, it was Robert Alda....Next: In what Tom Cruise movie did they feature Shostakovich's " Waltz #2 from The Jazz Suite #2 ??...

Edited by: mudskipper on Feb 4, 2011 1:08 AM

"Whenever the swells slow down and become low down

There is no low down lower than that"

If you know this song, you can name the movie it comes from and the singer (s) who performed it and the composer (s).

Big Clue: It was a famous male singer's first solo performance in a movie.

Edited by: cujas on Feb 12, 2011 4:27 PM

"When The Folks High Up Do The Mean Low Down" was written by Irving Berlin and sung by Bing Crosby in the 1930 film "Reaching For The Moon". It was Bing's first solo in a feature film. That same year, Bing appeared with The Rhythm Boys and Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra in "King Of Jazz", but he only sang in a group. He was slated to solo on "It Happened In Monterey", but John Boles was available and, being much better known than Bing at that time, he got to sing the song.