Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"red-headed woman"

lupinofan

was this the movie that began the cliched soap opera storytelling? i loved this movie and i have really had a difficult time adjusting to the pre-code movies but this one was top notch but i would have liked harlow to get the guy in the end. maybe i have been watching the wrong pre-code stars such as constance bennett, who i found to be bland and a carbon copy of harlow.

being someone who was a avid soap watcher for a longtime until recently this movie was truly a definition of what their recycled stories over and over were. woman schemes to get man, breaks up his marriage, cheats on him, gets tossed to the curb, then shoots him out of revenge, and getting off scott-free.

> {quote:title=lupinofan wrote:}{quote}

> maybe i have been watching the wrong pre-code stars such as constance bennett, who i found to be bland and a carbon copy of harlow.

Bennett's peak was 1930-32, a time when Harlow was still finding herself before "The Beast Of The City" and "Red-Headed Woman" elevated her as a smart actress with both sex appeal and some style. Bennett's films were a bit different from Harlow's, as she was often cast as an unwed mother or similar person, not a wanton hedonist. In fact, many of Connie's films during this time were perceived as "weepies."

I've rarely seen people compare Bennett and Harlow. Interesting.

there was this movie "what price, hollywood?" that recently aired and also the other movie forgot the name of it but she died in a car accident at the end that she staged. those movies seemed to have sexy seductress type roles for her. i guess thats where i was drawing the comparison.

> {quote:title=lupinofan wrote:}{quote}

> there was this movie "what price, hollywood?" that recently aired and also the other movie forgot the name of it but she died in a car accident at the end that she staged. those movies seemed to have sexy seductress type roles for her. i guess thats where i was drawing the comparison.

The other film is *Outcast Lady* , which was a remake of Garbo's *A Woman of Affairs* . However, it seems like in those films of Bennett's, bad things happen to her and those around her not through her initiating them but circumstances that were out of her control. In *Red Headed Woman* , Harlow gleefully stole another woman's fiance and shot at him with no remorse. I agree she way more interesting than Bennett but I do enjoy those films as well.