Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
clearskies

Odd Quotes by Directors/Moguls

"Go see that turkey for yourself, and see for yourself why you shouldn't see it." Samuel Goldwin.

Sounds like something Yogi Berra might say...

> {quote:title=clearskies wrote:}{quote}

> "Go see that turkey for yourself, and see for yourself why you shouldn't see it." Samuel Goldwin.

> Sounds like something Yogi Berra might say...

Practically everything Goldwyn said (or is credited with saying) sounds like Yogi Berra!

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder..... Alfred Hitchcock

Haven't heard that one but here's another from Goldwyn: "We have all passed a lot of water since then." Then he goes on to say: "If I look confused, it's because I'm thinking."

Then John Betjeman, Poet Laureate said: Color and stereoscopy will make the cinema into the greatest art in the world. Bad films will be impossible." Oh well...

Goldwyn had many classic quotes. Possibly my favorite is, (this may not be exact) "I don't want any yes men around me. I want employees that will tell me what they really think, even if it costs them their job"

Edited by: finance on Nov 26, 2010 10:23 AM

A few other classic quotes { Maybe } from Sam:

An oral contract isn't worth the paper it's written on...

I don't care if it doesn;t make a dime, I want every man, woman and child to see it...

Garson Kanin wrote a book that centers around his intership with Goldwyn called _Hollywood._ It's hilarious and full of Goldwynisms. He also discusses his unrequited love for Carole Lombard and that mysterious brothel run by a Mae West clone and staffed by movie star look-a-likes. Wonder if that ever really existed or if it's just Hollywood Urban Legend? Kind of creepy, either way.

William Beaudine, a master of Poverty Row quickies, primarily at PRC and Monogram, was told to speed up production on a Western: "You mean someone out there is actually waiting to see this?"

Goldwynisms seem to abound. Here's another: "Going to call him 'William?' What kind of a name is that? Every Tom, Dick & Harry's called William. Why don't you call him 'Bill?'

Good grief...