Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

xmas movies

hddhm2

I also love this movie, the "pilot" to *The Waltons* TV series. Some roles are played by different actors than those who played them in the series. Patricia Neal plays Olivia.

I was looking to see if it was being played last year and didn't find a scheduled showing, so I bought the DVD from Amazon. They are still available.

hddhm2 - Two things: 1. The holiday celebrated on December 25th. is "Christmas," not "xmas."

"xmas" isn't even a word. 2. The TCM website can only tell you if a program is scheduled for their

station, not any other's. I suggest you try any of the various program listing services available online,

though most can only supply listings for a 2-week period. (This program would not be on TCM in any

event, as they don't show TV-movies.)

Happy holidays, one and all.

• 3 weeks later...

The fruits of labour: while clearing out a messy and little-used closet recently, I unearthed a whole array of classic movies, some of them fairly rare. What a treat ! How could I have forgotten about them?

Anyway, a couple of them are Christmas films featuring Deanna Durbin: *Lady on a Train* (1945), a murder mystery, and *Christmas Holiday* (1944), an unusual noir directed by Robert Siodmak. The director isn't what makes it unusual (of course Siodmak directed a number of film noirs ) it's the cast:

Deanna Durbin and...Gene Kelly ! Probably the darkest thing either of them did. (on film, anyway).

These are real finds -both are highly entertainly little noirettes, and both set at Christmas time, to boot !

I strongly recommend people clean out their closets -you never know what you might find (please, no "outing" jokes :) )

Edited by: misswonderly on Dec 18, 2010 7:40 PM

I remembered it was on a couple of years back but haven't seen it since. That is a great holiday movie and Patricia Neal made the perfect snob who's *pride* got in the way of her children's happiness.

My mom once told me she knew of people like this during her childhood, wouldn't take charity from *anyone.* Kids even went hungry because of it.

Speaking of Christmas there was a "Waltons" TV episode that would make most today's young people sneer (due to being spoiled rotten to death), in it John-Boy got only a writing tablet for Xmas. My goodness, that time period wasn't called the Great Depression for nothing.

P.S. Javo, I used the word xmas, so sue me. person-smiley-1128.gif

Edited by: hamradio on Dec 18, 2010 8:11 PM

> {quote:title=lanceroten wrote:}{quote}

> I caught Holiday Affair(Leigh/Mitchum) last night for the first time. Pleasantly surprised by the film.

lanceroten,

Maybe my favorite "least known" Christmas film! I'm not implying no one has ever seen it...but it rarely comes up when discussing holiday movies and I enjoy it everytime I see it.

> {quote:title=The_Destroyer wrote:}{quote}

> The Homecoming, a Christmas Story is posted at Cinemageddon.net, the best free movie site on the web. They got everything...except Hot Spell.

You gotta stop mentioning that site when you do now and then, because they do NOT have just "free" movies which are public domain...they mostly have COPYRIGHTED movies, and they are a torrent sharing site which would NOT like their name being spread on a major internet board like this.

*because they do NOT have just "free" movies which are public domain...they mostly have COPYRIGHTED movies, and they are a torrent sharing site which would NOT like their name being spread on a major internet board like this.*

Which means, if I am reading this right, that they are bootlegging movies which is not right either.

Since you already started a thread called "xmas movies", I guess this is the best (perfect) timing to mention one. Just last year, I stated how many remakes have been done on "A Christmas Carol". A commercial on the BBC America channel proved I've seen nothing yet.

Next Saturday will be the airing of "Doctor Who, A Christmas Carol" (2010)

huh, who, what the bloody......

doctor-who_christmas_carol_dvd.jpg

Valentine, I'd videotaped *Christmas Holiday* from a great old television program that used to be aired in Canada, until about 1995 or so: *Saturday Night at the Movies*, with host Elwy Yost, on the public Ontario tv station, TVO. Elwy was a dedicated classic film fan, and showed many very rare movies on his show. (another example: *Clouded Yellow* ) It was a great little program.