Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will the Canadian Schedule for January be updated soon?

ChrisBeaubien

ChrisB, I hope you don't mind...I started another thread about this in the "Hot Topics" forum. I think it's a really important question, and I wanted a lot of people to see it, in case one of them knows the answer ( more people seem to go on that forum than this one.)

Hey, fellow Canadians, am I the only one who gets frustrated when TCM American version shows a movie you've always wanted to see, but it doesn't get aired in Canada? Something to do with "rights issues".

I hope that taking TCM away from your neighbour of the North sounds exactly what it is ? absurd.

Thank you, misswonderly for helping me get the word out.

Ditto on the Leslie Nielson reference. If you haven't read Leonard Maltin's tribute to him, it's well worth it. http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmaltin/archives/leslie_nielsen_and_forbidden_planet/

*Hey, fellow Canadians, am I the only one who gets frustrated when TCM American version shows a movie you've always wanted to see, but it doesn't get aired in Canada? Something to do with "rights issues".*

No, over the years Canadians have come to the boards looking for answers about the difference in programming.

And the answer is rights issues. If TCM has to swap a film out in Canada, it's because the Canadian broadcast rights are not available. Sometimes it means other channels have the rights, sometimes it means the rights issues are murky and no one knows who owns the rights. But, because the broadcast rights aren't available, TCM can't run the film(s).

And the legal department of the Turner channels and/or Time Warner wouldn't let them run a film unless the rights are secured.

No one wants to end up in court and risk having to pay the piper.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Looks like this may have been a bit of a tempest in a teapot. I checked the Canadian schedules this evening, and the ones for both January and February are now posted. (Hey, maybe we humble message board posters have more influence than we thought...)

>

As I just posted on the other thread on this question, the just-posted Canadian TCM schedule for January includes all of the Hal Roach films that are listed for the U.S. January schedule. As we know, up until now, TCM has not been able to show Hal Roach films in Canada, so this is very surprising to see them now listed for Canada.

I hope this means that the rights have finally been cleared for TCM to show them. But unfortunately I suppose there's a slight chance that an error has resulted in the U.S. January schedule being posted instead of the Canadian one, resulting in the inclusion of the Roach films. If not before, we shall at least find out on Jan. 4 when the Roach marathon starts. What will they be showing on TCM Canada?