Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Studio Tours

RGlenn

Anyone know if TCM might offer a Classic-themed studio tour(s) next April in the days preceding the Festival? I think there may have been discounts offered for Festival attendees at studios, but not sure if there were any with a classic film theme.

As Dave will confirm (moviefan4life), the Paramount Studio tour was a little heavy on current day stuff that's filmed there. And I went on the Warner Bros tour that was very heavy on current TV shows that most on the tour seemed never to have heard about. The Warners tour was particularly frustrating given the Classic Hollywood theme of my trip to LA last April as we whisked past sound stages that had tantalizing plaques indicating the classics that had been filmed there incl many of Bette Davis' triumphs.

Wondering if anyone is interested in getting a group together to see if we might have more of a nostalgic, vintage trip back in time in one or more of these great places? Let me know and I may attempt to arrange something.

Glenn

Glenn, I would be up for that, too.

I took a walking tour that TCM put together the first day of the festival. I believe it was done by Red Line Tours, and led by their owner, Tony Hoover. That was very much focused on classic Hollywood.

The only problem was that it was scheduled close to the opening party (not the Vanity Fair party later that evening). As a result, people were breaking away a tad early. But, Tony was great, and it was a nice intro into the festival.

Most of the touring I did was on my own. lzcutter posted some interesting info somewhere on here about historic sites in the area.

Maybe TCM will read this and get onto it. Also, Kathie has a page on Facebook that some of the people attending are connected with, and that might be a great way to get the word out, too.

David in Seattle

*lzcutter posted some interesting info somewhere on here about historic sites in the area.*

Hey David,

Thanks for the shout-out!

Here's the link for all who are interested:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=152178&start=25&tstart=45

Being a long time Angeleno, I've probably forgotten more LA history than I should have but I will try to add to the thread next spring, so stay tuned!

Edited by: lzcutter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok... so not sure what next steps might be.

I emailed the TCM film festival folks about this to get a sense of whether they might be interested in setting something up in regards to historical studio tours and never received a response (nor a response to my query regarding that nasty $10 a day per user fee for internet connection at The Hollywood Roosevelt charged last year... must follow-up on that!). And this despite spending a bundle on two Spotlight Festival passes - the noive!

I talked to Paramount and they said to call back once I knew how many people might be interested.

I left a voice message with Warner Bros to see what this might entail, with the individual I talked to not too hopeful. He said the "canned" tours try to appeal to everyone's taste, but most of what was showcased was cheesy TV shows that no one seemed to have heard of.

I was also thinking a tour of MGM (now Sony) might be interesting given its illustrious history assuming there is enough history remaining.

I've checked the TCM incl Facebook and can't seem to find anything relevant.

I thought TCM might have the pull & interest to put together some themed tours, but realize they're very busy putting the festival together (and clearly based on last year's event, lotsa work goes into the event). So wondering if anyone has any ideas about next steps I might take...

> {quote:title=RGlenn wrote:}{quote}

> Ok... so not sure what next steps might be.

> So wondering if anyone has any ideas about next steps I might take...

Glenn,

I owned an adventure travel business in Seattle for about 10 years. I've spoken with an old friend of mine still in the business, and she's doing some research for you re: folks to contact in LA for setting this up. I'll let you know as soon as she gets back with me.

David in Seattle

Thanks Dave!

Very much appreciate that!

It would be great if a link could be provided for those interested on the TCM website with some noted dates & times... then if sufficient numbers committed, a tour would happen. But realize that TCM likely has much more pressing matters on their plate at the moment. The challenge is having a process where sufficient folks would commit to a specific studio at a specific date & time to warrant such a thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Glenn, forgot to get back with you on this. I didn't get much help from my friend in the travel industry. It's such a one-shot, limited revenue deal she couldn't find anyone willing to tackle it. What she recommended was working with the concierge at the hotel.

My room is booked at the Roosevelt. I'm thinking their concierge service might be the best to use. If you're not staying there, let me know and I'll contact them.

David in Seattle

Hi Dave - that sounds like a good suggestion... and yes staying at THR. I'll call them tomorrow and if anything comes of it I will post something here (and on Facebook). The slight catch-22 or at least challenging element is having to pick a day & time in advance (say 11am the day before the festival begins so folks still have time for other site seeing) without knowing availability or interest. I'll give it a shot...

Thanks Dave!

This sounds like pretty much the perfect solution. Of the studios still working from the Golden Age, this one seems to have lots of references to the past, including many sound stages with plaques of what classics were filmed within. When I took the Warner Bros tour last year, we whisked past all of this with minimal reference to the classics and much focus on cheesy sounding current day TV shows filmed on the lot that most of us hadn't heard about.

Now... I've heard that the TCM staff meet and greet is a must which is happening during the April 28th tour - drats! - and flying back midday on May 2nd, the other time slot.

I must ponder what would be more interesting...

*"Now... I've heard that the TCM staff meet and greet is a must which is happening during the April 28th tour - drats! - and flying back midday on May 2nd, the other time slot. I must ponder what would be more interesting..."* - RGlenn

Take the "improved for 2011" WB Studio Tour. It is a unique opportunity and one that sounds like it will be quite special for attendees.

There will be ample time over the weekend to meet a TCM Staffer or two - if that interests you. This year TCM is even setting up its "studio" for filming in the Lobby of the Roosevelt Hotel so the some of the staff will be "front and center" most every day.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

I know there were complaints about last years WB tour being far too focused on new programming for classic film buffs' taste. I suspect the same quality upgrades in planning and programming we've seen in the rest of the festival will carry through to the WB tour.

On another tour note, I'm surprised to see the walking tours they had last year are not being repeated. Hopefully, there's still time to add one. Last year's was the best of all the pre-festival tours I took, and that includes the Paramount Studios tour I met Glenn on.

Also, I did my own mini-tour of the Hollywood Forever Cemetery last year. Since then, I've heard a woman offers tours and a group organizes outdoor film showings there on summer weekends. Perhaps next year the organizers of the festival can work out a deal at the cemetery for a showing of a classic there. Maybe something from Val Lewton like *The Body Snatcher*.

David in Seattle

Thanks David, I signed up for the Thursday Warner Brothers Studio Tour. To others who might be interested in taking one of the WB Studios tours, the ticketing page on their Web site says both the Thursday and Monday tours are full, but I was able to get tickets by calling 877-492-8687. Maybe those tours are marked full because they are private tours?

Looking forward to it!

- Kathie

Telephone is definitely the way to go. I acquired my tickets this morning (for May 2) after having left a message with WB over the weekend. "Norman" returned my call this morning leaving a friendly message that ignored my issue (of not being able to have the TCM promo code accepted), and hailing the tour of the set of "Mike and Molly". When I returned Norman's call, it was easily straightened out and my confirmation email had arrived.

I too notice that now it says "sold out" for the two TCM tours. Over the weekend it showed how many openings remain; so it's possible that it's already truly sold out.