Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Last MGM Movie

Could someone please tell me: what was the last movie (or TV program) filmed on the MGM lot in

California (whether it be Santa Monica or Culver City), and any details about it. Is it likely that any

further productions will be filmed there?

Thank you very much.

*Could someone please tell me: what was the last movie (or TV program) filmed on the MGM lot in*

*California (whether it be Santa Monica or Culver City), and any details about it. Is it likely that any*

*further productions will be filmed there?*

MGM's old studio lot is still in use (it's in Culver City, by the way). It's owned by Sony and many films and television shows still shoot there. In fact, Sony offers guided tours of the lot.

Or are you referring to the famous, now gone, backlot?

MGM is currently located in Santa Monica; unfortunately, I don't know whether there is a studio located

there, or whether they rent space from others when a film carrying the MGM brand is produced. Again,

what I'd like to know is: what was the last movie or TV program filmed on the MGM lot in California, and

what details can you provide about it?

Thank you very much.

MGM is currently located in Santa Monica; unfortunately, I don't know whether there is a studio located

there, or whether they rent space from others when a film carrying the MGM brand is produced. Again,

what I'd like to know is: what was the last movie or TV program filmed on the MGM lot in California, and

what details can you provide about it?

Thank you very much.

*Again,what I'd like to know is: what was the last movie or TV program filmed on the MGM lot in California, and what details can you provide about it?*

Jayo,

The old MGM Studios lot is still in use. Today, it is owned by Sony. MGM moved off the lot years ago and has been in various locations since then. Today, MGM rents office space in Santa Monica.

But the old studio lot in Culver City is still in use and films and television programs are still shot there.

So, since the studio lot is still in use there is no last film movie or TV program that was filmed there as the lot has been in use since MGM sold it.

*I guess what I meant to ask was what was the last MGM movie filmed on the MGM lot?*

Jayo,

No problem. *That's Entertainment* - the host segments- was probably the last or close to the last MGM film to shoot on the lot before it was shut down temporarily in the late 1970s.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *I guess what I meant to ask was what was the last MGM movie filmed on the MGM lot?*

>

> Jayo,

>

> No problem. *That's Entertainment* - the host segments- was probably the last or close to the last MGM film to shoot on the lot before it was shut down temporarily in the late 1970s.

No, the lot was still occupied by MGM until 1986, when the company was acquired by Turner Broadcasting. As most here know, Ted Turner was only interested in the studio's film library; as soon as the deal was completed, he turned around and sold the studio lot to Lorimar Telepictures, which was later acquired by what was then known as Warner Communications. When Warner decided it no longer wished to share its Burbank Studios with Columbia Pictures, it offered the former MGM lot to Columbia for free in return for Columbia's moving out of Burbank (though Warner also asked for, and got, the Columbia Ranch, a fairly small tract of sound stages and standing sets in Toluca Lake, a few blocks from the Warner's main lot).

So, the Culver City facility most closely associated with MGM ceased to be MGM in 1986, though I'm still not sure what the last MGM-released film made on that lot might have been.

While MGM did transfer ownership first to Lorimar Telepictures and then Sony in the mid to late 80s the backlot did not survive this transfer of ownership, suffering the wrecking ball in 1975 after Kirk Kerkorian's takeover to raise capital for his Las Vegas hotel; itself the scene of destructive chaos in 1981 when the second largest fire in hotel history claimed 85 lives.

MGM's sad final days are chronicled in the book "Fade Out" which might be a good starting point in your research of the last movie shot on the MGM backlot but I do believe That's Entertainment! is among the last. By the time That's Entertainment Part II was made a scant two years later the intros by Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire were confined to soundstage work because the backlot had been demolished to make way for the condos that currently still stand.

A few other points to consider: the Smith house from Meet Me In St. Louis was spared the indignation when a studio backlot fire consumed it in the late 1950s. This is why the TV series based on the film relocated the Smith's to the house that once belonged to the Smith's next door neighbour, John Truett.

One final point that should be cleared up: initially it was Ted Turner's intension to continue making movies at MGM once he acquired the studio from Kerkorian. Unfortunately for Mr. Turner, he was not the media giant then that he eventually became and quickly realized he had neither the capital nor the resources to resurrect MGM from oblivion. He was therefore forced to sell off the studio and other assets to save his own fledgling company from bankruptcy.

> {quote:title=NZ wrote:}{quote}

> While MGM did transfer ownership first to Lorimar Telepictures and then Sony in the mid to late 80s the backlot did not survive this transfer of ownership, suffering the wrecking ball in 1975 after Kirk Kerkorian's takeover to raise capital for his Las Vegas hotel; itself the scene of destructive chaos in 1981 when the second largest fire in hotel history claimed 85 lives.

MGM's Lot 2, across Overland Avenue from the main studio lot, was still full of most of its standing sets into 1979; in 1978, when I spent a couple of days exploring it and taking photos, only the far western end of the property (containing the midwestern town and English lake/bridge) was being redeveloped. All the New York and London streets, as well as the big steamship fa?ade, were still there, though in varying states of disrepair (it had been common practice for decades to let those sets deteriorate, and then fix them up as needed).

> One final point that should be cleared up: initially it was Ted Turner's intention to continue making movies at MGM once he acquired the studio from Kerkorian. Unfortunately for Mr. Turner, he was not the media giant then that he eventually became and quickly realized he had neither the capital nor the resources to resurrect MGM from oblivion. He was therefore forced to sell off the studio and other assets to save his own fledgling company from bankruptcy.

I've never quite bought into Turner's story that it had been his original intention to make a go of running MGM. His finances were no secret to him, and I've always suspected that he just concocted the story to deflect the criticism that buying up the company only to keep the film library brought down on him.