Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Seldom seen WB films on TCM

I don't know why it doesn't air, but it is only fair that Dorothy Malone gets top-billing. First, because she plays the primary character of Diana Barrymore, she does get the bulk of the footage. She had also just won an Oscar, so her on-the-rise status did have her ahead of the sadly declining Flynn.

I have not seen this one in 39 years, almost to the day. It was close to Christmas in 1971 and this popped up on The Late, Late Show. I'm glad that I caught it when I did because I've not seen it show up again since. I believe that I saw it among the Warner Archive releases but this savvy shopper is not going to pay their price for it, nor their discount price. One has to buy in bulk to get it down to ten dollars during their sale periods, but even that is too much for a barebones DVD.

Poor Flynn, the story goes that when Jack Warner saw him, he referred to Flynn as "the walking dead." It was the perfect marriage of actor and role and Flynn accomplished something that Barrymore didn't - he burned out in ten fewer years, probably because he had even more vices than did Barrymore.

Most of Dolores Costello's talkies are lost...and it's very unfortunate. These include GLAD RAG DOLL, MADONNA OF AVENUE A and HEARTS IN EXILE. I do not know if SECOND CHOICE survives. I mentioned EXPENSIVE WOMEN and THE SHOW OF SHOWS in the original posts (under other artists).

NOAH'S ARK was an early sound film/musical but most of the sound reels are missing. GLORIOUS BETSY, meanwhile, was made as a mostly silent picture. It looks the most interesting to me.

As for Colleen Moore, many of her talkies are also lost. This includes SMILING IRISH EYES as well as FOOTLIGHTS AND FOOLS (both made for First National). Meanwhile, SUCCESS AT ANY PRICE was done over at RKO and should be included on the RKO thread.

clore,

Your explanation about Dorothy Malone, post-Oscar, makes a lot of sense. I am surprised the programmers didn't choose to show this picture tonight since they are doing a primetime tribute to Ms. Malone. It would've been a good one to air, especially since it is seen so infrequently.

What about BIllie Dove??? Actually, Michael Curtiz *NOAH'S ARK* is essentially a Silent bread from the success of his earlier *MOON OF ISRAEL* with some later ill-advised tacked on dialogue sequences sequences spliced in. It is not a Musical, or even close to one. These goat-gland scenes ultimately spoiled what would have been a great film. They dramatically disrupt the pace of the story and do not enhance the picture in the slightest. On the contrary, they serve only to compromise the artistic vision of the film.

Costello and O'Brien, not to mention Noah Beery, sound ridiculous with their stagy Broadway coached voices. It's to bad that these high paid coach's ruined or should I say sabotaged many a fine career. What a shame.

>>It would've been a good one to air, especially since it is seen so infrequently.

I would love to see it again, not only for Malone and Flynn, but there's also Ray Danton playing a rotten SOB in that way that probably limited his career because he did it so well.

There's a shot in the early part of the film that has Malone as Barrymore reading a fan magazine and as it's somewhere in the late 30s, the magazine has Errol Flynn on the cover. It's almost as if they went out of the way to parallel Flynn's decline with that of the great profile. Neither man would be very recognizable compared to the self of two decades earlier.

I discovered that Myrna had a contract at Warners when talkies first started.

_MYRNA LOY_

HARDBOILED ROSE...this one is a silent film that had talking sequences added

EVIDENCE...she is rather low billed, but she's there

ISLE OF ESCAPE...one year after EVIDENCE, she is now second billed

There was a contract actress I neglected to mention previously. She has third billing in Warners' CALAMITY JANE, which I already mentioned. But there are some more:

_ALLYN MCLERIE_

WHERE?S CHARLEY?...her first film with WB

PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE...with Karl Malden

She later changed her professional name to 'Allyn Ann McLerie' so there are two pages for her on the TCM database. I am guessing that the name change was meant to emphasize her femininity. In her first five films with WB, however, she is billed as Allyn McLerie.

_BEVERLY ROBERTS_

HOT MONEY

EXPENSIVE HUSBANDS

DAREDEVIL DRIVERS

GOD?S COUNTRY AND THE WOMAN

i.ashx?gallery=279943&mid=11354414&mt=Ph

This was WB's first Technicolor film. Beverly Roberts was assigned the leading role after Bette Davis was placed on suspension. The problem: Bette was not receptive to playing a lumberjack.

Two films listed early on are lost films.

Joe E. Brown's HOLD EVERYTHING and Dorothy Mackaill's CHILDREN OF THE RITZ.

Also MIA from TCM are UNDER A TEXAS MOON (1930) with Frank Fay and VIENNESE NIGHTS (1931) with Walter Pidgeon. Both were restored by UCLA but I've been told there's are rights issues with both films. Two of the very few two color Technicolor survivors. Seems they be worth the time and money to clear.

Thanks...the Frank Fay film was mentioned in the original posts.

_VIVIENNE SEGAL_

GOLDEN DAWN

VIENNESE NIGHTS

_MARILYN MILLER_

SALLY

SUNNY

HER MAJESTY LOVE

_BEN LYON_

THE HOT HEIRESS

MISBEHAVING LADIES

BOUGHT

_ROSE HOBART_

CHANCES

COMPROMISED

_LILA LEE_

THE GORILLA

THOSE WHO DANCE

MURDER WILL OUT

_LOTTI LODER_

A SOLDIER'S PLAYTHING

_IRENE DELROY_

DIVORCE AMONG FRIENDS

MEN OF THE SKY

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks...the Frank Fay film was mentioned in the original posts.

>

> _VIVIENNE SEGAL_

> GOLDEN DAWN

> VIENNESE NIGHTS

>

> _MARILYN MILLER_

> SALLY

> SUNNY

> HER MAJESTY LOVE

>

> _BEN LYON_

> THE HOT HEIRESS

> MISBEHAVING LADIES

> BOUGHT

>

> _ROSE HOBART_

> CHANCES

> COMPROMISED

>

> _LILA LEE_

> THE GORILLA

> THOSE WHO DANCE

> MURDER WILL OUT

>

> _LOTTI LODER_

> A SOLDIER'S PLAYTHING

>

> _IRENE DELROY_

> DIVORCE AMONG FRIENDS

> MEN OF THE SKY

VIENNESE NIGHTS has an unbilled Bela Lugosi. Bring it!