Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
joefilmone

"The Land Unknown" (1957)

I wish Universal had spent a bit more money on this exciting sci- fi adventure. Jock Mahoney , Shirly Patterson and William Reynolds encounter some effective prehistoric dangers in a lost world hidden beneath the polar ice. The cinemascope photography is spectacular but it should have been in color not B&W. And too bad they did not hire Willis OBrien or Ray Harryhausen for the dinosaur sequences.

> {quote:title=joefilmone wrote:}{quote}

> I wish Universal had spent a bit more money on this exciting sci- fi adventure....The cinemascope photography is spectacular but it should have been in color not B&W. And too bad they did not hire Willis OBrien or Ray Harryhausen for the dinosaur sequences.

Universal was having hard financial times during the 1950s. Sci-fi films, westerns and comedy series like FRANCIS THE TALKING MULE and MA & PA KETTLE kept the studio alive. To be successful, they had to made cheaply. Actually, I think, that considering the low budgets, films like THE LAND UNKNOWN came out pretty good.

This could be remade i think, but the film borrows heavily from Edgar rice Burroughs The land that time forgot trilogy. and in 1957 Harryhausen was busy working on 20 million miles to earth, O'Brien on the black scorpion. Not bad considering the cheapness of the production. A little trivia, the sound the pterodactyl makes was used for the animated series Jonny Quest and the T-Rex head was the pet Spot on the Adams family series i think. They should just do a serious remake on the land that time forgot series and have peter Jackson or Spielberg direct it or someone.

I was ten when I saw this in the movies and I still enjoy it when I see it now.Jock Mahoney was one of my favorite western stars and he made a pretty good Tarzan too.He also was Errol Flynns stunt man.