Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Things to Groove on--upcoming on TCM this week!

Grooving to TCM this week! Not a lot of pre-codes compared to last week, but some cool and relatively obscure noir/crime flix though!

Wee hours of Monday morning--3:45am--catch ZOO IN BUDAPEST, very rare pre-code with a young sexy Loretta Young!

Monday is pretty jazzy with BLUES IN THE NIGHT, YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN and The Mick in THE STRIP--great noir!!

Basically you want to stay up all night on Tuesday, cos the wee hours starting at midnight has some groovy flix that are part of the Dorothy Malone fest earlier in the eve: THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS with John Ireland, CONVICTED with Broderick Crawford himself and Glenn Ford!

Then at 5am a pretty rare noir with Freddie Mac, PUSHOVER, along with Kim Novak!!

Mick's day on Thursday has a few crime and noir flicks including KILLER MCCOY, THE BIG WHEEL and the best, IMHO, QUICKSAND, also starring Peter Lorre!!

And of course on Saturday, I always have to give a shout out to my Boys from Bowery, this week is BOWERY TO BAGDAD! Tune in for your B chuckles!!!

And later in the afternoon on Saturday, THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, always dig that sci-fi gem!

Just a few of the groovy highlights from the upcoming week! Thank you, TCM!

I recorded *Zoo in Budapest* (1933) and *Josephine and Men* (1955). I hope to watch them this week. I have been told the second is very much under-rated.

*Pushover* (1954) is one of the few Kim Novak movies I have not seen and I am greatly looking forward to it.

Sorry, mark, I am not a pushover for *Pushover*. It just doesn't "work" for me. I don't sense any "chemistry" between MacMurray and Novak, and the window-spying business is clumsily done and just strikes me as silly. I wanted to like it, but in my mind it's definitely a lesser noir.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Sorry, mark, I am not a pushover for *Pushover*. It just doesn't "work" for me. I don't sense any "chemistry" between MacMurray and Novak, and the window-spying business is clumsily done and just strikes me as silly. I wanted to like it, but in my mind it's definitely a lesser noir.

Oh wow, I guess I will agree that it's a lesser Noir, but I think I liked it a bit better than you did! Sorry you were disappointed though!

Did you happen to catch CONVICTED??

It reminded me of DOUBLE INDEMNITY (and I'm sure that is why Fred was cast...as the guy who gets drawn into a moll/femme fatale's entangled life). But the voyeurism during the stakeout was reminiscent of REAR WINDOW. If it had been made after the production code, we would've had a peep show of sorts.

I think Fred and Kim had chemistry, but Phil Carey and Dorothy Malone had more. I was much more fascinated in them as a couple.

I haven't seen *Convicted* , but I'd like to (sometimes, whether it'd due to the airing time of the film or some other reason, I miss something I'd normally make a point of watching or recording.).

Glenn Ford is usually, good, I like him in both noirs and Westerns - I think he's an under-rated actor.

As for *Pushover*, I don't hate it or anything. I was just a little disappointed, my expectations for any noir title are usually pretty high. Of course, there are mediocre noirs as there are mediocre films in any genre. And you know what? - I'd rather see a mediocre noir than a less-than-outstanding movie of any other type. If I don't like the story or characters, I can always sit back and enjoy the shadows, the mise-en-scene, and those great fedora hats. :)

MFF, yes, Carey and Malone made a more believable and nicer couple.

Edited by: misswonderly on Dec 8, 2010 1:32 PM

I know we had a discussion about CORNERED a few months ago...and I find it a lesser noir (a questionable noir). What I liked about PUSHOVER is that Harry Cohn gives it a big budget (something most noirs do not get, especially at RKO). And it's just so slick in terms of atmosphere and cinematography (Richard Quine's direction being very noteworthy).

If you are looking at Fred as the bad guy, then a double feature of this film and INDEMNITY is a must. But if you are looking at Kim as the center of trouble in noir, then I would pair this film with 5 FOR THE HOUSE. While Phil Karlson's caper is not technically pure noir, it does have a lot of the same elements of PUSHOVER and Novak is used in the same way...she is not irredeemable like Stanwyck or other noir dames, but instead she is a combustible force of sexuality and innocence that helps these men into criminal activity.

I very much like Kim Novak, Fred MacMurray and noir but *Pushover* (1954) did not excite me.

I believe part of the problem is the storyline. I found it difficult to accept Fred MacMurray as an innocent drawn into crime. His meeting and affair with Kim Novak was duplicitous. It does not matter that he was doing it 'for the greater good' as an officer seeking information. It was a slimy job and he did it with great enthusiasm.

I believe another part of the problem was the lack of a foundation of a deep relationship between them. There was no evidence of him falling for her or for her needing him.

I also fault Richard Qunie for using a great many empty mood shots. I found myself thinking: "This pause is meant to show us..." instead of my feeling as if I was reading the character.

I am happy I have watched it but it does not reach standards of so many better noir films.

Well, tonight at 6:30 they're airing something we'll all probably like: *Quicksand*, with Mickey Rooney in a nifty little noir role. This lesser known film noir is very good, lots of fun, watch out for fur coats and Peter Lorre, his usual enjoyable creepy self, as a carnival operator.

I don't think I mentioned LOVE IS A HEADACHE for things to watch for, but wow, home sick today and really enjoyed this relatively unknown gem! Digging on character actors like Frank Jenks and Ted Healy among others, as well as leading lady Gladys George (of THE ROARING TWENTIES fame)!!

Since I'm home sick, I can watch today's flix live (if the cold meds let me that is!) and I'm looking forward to KILLER MCCOY, THE BIG WHEEL and for sure QUICKSAND (most of all!) in today's all-Mick lineup!