Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sad passing of The Independent Film Channel

ValentineXavier

I feel like my dog got hit by a truck. I have loved the IFC for years. They have shown art-house films, and independent animation and shorts. They started adding comedy series', and other episodic made-for-TV stuff. That meant less films, but they still had a few good ones. Now, they are interrupting their movies repeatedly, with 4-5 minute blocks of the same old loud and obnoxious commercials shown on most cable channels. I won't even watch that stuff from a DVR. I'm sure I don't have to explain to anyone here how such interruptions ruin a film.

They have gone the way of AMC, which isn't surprising, since they are owned by the same Rainbow Media that owns AMC. They also own The Sundance Channel, so I guess the last place for such films on cable will also go, before too long. It makes me appreciate TCM all the more. Gee, I wish TCM would start an art-house film channel, with the same respect for the work that they show to TCM films!

So, IFC is currently showing John Huston's *The Dead*, but don't bother to watch it there.

I haven't watched IFC in many, many months, the repetition of the same movies over and over drove me away. I still check the schedule to see what's on but...nothing new.

So the films are now interrupted with commercial breaks? I knew it was going to happen this year, I could see it coming. The Sundance Channel will likely follow very soon, it's following the same course - repetitious programming, a flood of TV shows, obnoxious advertising over the channel logo during movies.

Yep, just tuned in to IFC and left it on to see what would happen: commercial breaks during programs.

Oh no, this is sad news, but as you say not entirely unexpected. Does this pretty much leave TCM as the only non-premium cable movie channel out there?

It's too bad, I was digging watching The Three Stooges shorts on IFC, as they had been presented in digital clarity and commercial free. Ah well, need to break down and get their sets.

I haven't watched anything on IFC during the past few months (nothing interest me) and my last recording was the unedited widescreen version of "Halloween". I just turned to the channel to check it out, the movie "Distant Voices, Still Lives" (1988) is showing and sure enough, not having to wait, the commercials popped up. :(

Well you are not alone, on your browser's home page (I use Google) , type in *why is IFC showing commercials?* Join the many clubs.

I never had IFC but it was a channel I always wanted. Now that they added commercials I bet my cable provider will probably add it. That would be irony for you. :(

A lot of people don't realize how lucky they are with TCM. I am thankful every day that such a great channel exists.

edit: And really what is the point to watch a film with commercials. You can just as easily rent the film from Netflix.

Edited by: Kinokima on Dec 13, 2010 12:39 PM

This is a tragedy. I haven't had IFC for about five years. But I really liked it. I never saw anything that wasn't at least interesting. Often quite good. I liked SUNDANCE too. But between the two, I preferred IFC. What a shame. What an argument for video. TV becomes increasingly less appealing.

Kinokima, I feel your pain! I didn't have AMC during it's heyday, it was only added to our lineup when it was changing...not terrible yet, they aired ads only in between the films, but it was on the downward spiral that eventually led to what is there now.

I agree, I feel blessed that we have TCM!

Nothing can be as bad as The Ovation Channel. Normally I don't watch sponsored TV, but over the weekend I tried to watch the 2000 version of "The Great Gatsby" on Ovation. It seemed as if there was almost as much time spent on commercials as on the movie. Then I realized that what I saw a decade ago on A&E in a two-hour slot was being spread across three hours. It's only 100 minutes long.

The last time I watched a *Twilight Zone* marathon on the SyFy Channel, the episodes were running 35 minutes and listed that way on the schedule.

In its original run, the shows ran 26 1/2 minutes minus commercials.

Yes, when they run the marathon each year, the shows seem to be their full original length. That?s why the marathon schedule gets out of whack after a couple of hours, since each show is about 35 minutes long.

But a few years ago when they would run two or three shows back to back, at a half-hour each, they clipped off some of the scenes to shorten each episode.

>>But a few years ago when they would run two or three shows back to back, at a half-hour each, they clipped off some of the scenes to shorten each episode.

I've seen a few of those but got annoyed with the edits.

For a while in the late 80s and early 90s, a popular technique was to speed up the playback of certain shows, but it had the actors sounding like munchkins.

Ever see CHEERS on the Hallmark Channel? They seem to cut out the empty spaces between lines of dialogue which results in some very weird jump cuts.

Between things such as the above, and all of the logos and crawling announcements, I've pretty much abandoned all sponsored television.

When they edit down programs, they are just throwing away content that they paid good money for. I think it would make more sense to bundle shows. Show three old half-hour shows in a two hour timeslot, unedited. Show two hour programs in a 2.5 hour timeslot. I'm a fan of the old Perry Mason series, but that was made unwatchable by editing. There are even a couple where you never see the character who did it, until Perry reveals them in court. All of their previous screen time had been cut out. How the heck are you supposed to figure out who did it that way?

Do you really think they'll listen?

That having been said, I find it ironic that IFC was one of the production companies behind [*Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession*|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405496/]. Presumably the management that was around at the time the Z Channel documentary was made is not the same as the management of today.

you never see the character who did it, until Perry reveals them in court.

That's pathetic. I was seeing that with other shows as much as thirty years ago. There would be a reference to something that hadn't happened. It happened in the original broadcast. But it was cut for syndication!

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> Do you really think they'll listen?

Listen? Well, they did reply to my e-mail, saying that the commercials were necessary, so that they could afford to make new programming 'in the independent spirit.' So, I guess they "listened." Will they change their new ways? Almost certainly NOT, unless they start losing money. Bravo and AMC went this way, and they're still around, so I guess what the IFC was is gone for good. Unless The Z Channel comes to cable... :)