VIRGINIA BRUCE

GRANT WITHERS

VIRGINIA GREY

RUTH HUSSEY

KAREN MORLEY

JEAN PARKER

AUDREY TOTTER

_INDEPENDENT PRODUCERS_

Obviously, not Poverty Row...but limited in terms of finances compared to the major studios...

SAM GOLDWYN

GARY COOPER

WALTER BRENNAN

TERESA WRIGHT

DAVID NIVEN

FARLEY GRANGER

DANNY KAYE

VIRGINIA MAYO

DANA ANDREWS

CATHY O?DONNELL

DAVID O. SELZNICK

LOUIS JOURDAN

GREGORY PECK

INGRID BERGMAN

JENNIFER JONES

JOSEPH COTTEN

RHONDA FLEMING

GUY MADISON

VIVIEN LEIGH

SHIRLEY TEMPLE

DOROTHY MCGUIRE

ETHEL BARRYMORE

WALTER WANGER

JOAN BENNETT

J. ARTHUR RANK

MICHAEL REDGRAVE

DIRK BOGARDE

PETULA CLARK

DIANA DORS

DONALD SINDEN

PHILIP GILBERT

CHRISTOPHER LEE

HAL ROACH

LAUREL & HARDY

CAROLE LANDIS

THELMA TODD

PATSY KELLY

ZASU PITTS

CHARLEY CHASE

SPANKY MCFARLAND

MICKEY DANIELS

ROLAND YOUNG

UNITED ARTISTS

CHARLES CHAPLIN

MARY PICKFORD

MICKEY ROONEY

BURT LANCASTER

EAGLE-LION

LUCILLE BREMER

FRANCES RAFFERTY

ANN RICHARDS

Poverty Row favorites include Wanda McKay, Louise Currie, Joan Woodbury, Luana Walters, Minerva Urecal, Dave O'Brien, Dennis Moore, Tom Tyler, Tom Neal and George J. Lewis.

> Poverty Row favorites include Wanda McKay, Louise Currie, Joan Woodbury, Luana Walters, Minerva Urecal, Dave O'Brien, Dennis Moore, Tom Tyler, Tom Neal and George J. Lewis.

Thanks, Prince...I have not previously focused on Poverty Row...so all of this is new to me. Though I did hand out sandwiches once on skid row. LOL

An even bigger laugh is United Artists as Poverty Row.

Wanger also had Lizabeth Scott under contract, and I think Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. In any case, he was a producer who had contracts with specific studios at various times: ie. WB or Paramount, neither Poverty Row.

Edited by: Arturo on Dec 14, 2010 8:51 PM

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> Poverty Row favorites include Wanda McKay, Louise Currie, Joan Woodbury, Luana Walters, Minerva Urecal, Dave O'Brien, Dennis Moore, Tom Tyler, Tom Neal and George J. Lewis.

How could I forget Glenn Strange, I. Stanford Jolley and Tristam Coffin?

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> _MONOGRAM_

> KAY FRANCIS

> JACKIE COOPER

> JOHN CARROLL

> MARJORIE MAIN

>

Under Monogram we certainly MUST include:

Bela Lugosi

George Zucco

Sidney Toler

Roland Winters

Mantan Moreland

Keye Luke

Victor Sen Yung

Benson Fong

And all the regular cast members of the many Monogram series such as

The East Side Kids

The Bowery Boys

The Teen Agers

Joe Palooka

Jiggs & Maggie

And several Westerns series

Thanks for adding those other names, musicalnovelty. :)

As for the comments about the independent producers in this thread, I suppose I could've made a separate thread on them. The point is that many of them, even J. Arthur Rank, did not always have the amount of money that the major studios had to finance their films.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Boris Karloff made the Mr. Wong series for Monogram.

>

Thanks! In whipping up that list in about 15 seconds I knew I had to be forgetting someone I shouldn't leave out.

And I do enjoy that series very much, and Karloff in anything.

And since many of John Wayne's 1933-1935 westerns were Lone Star Productions distibuted by Monogram, Wayne definitely should be considered a Monogram player.

I think the GAS HOUSE KIDS was a PRC project. I don't know if there was just one film or a series.

Also, British noir dame Jean Gillie made DECOY for Monogram.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> I don't think George Zucco made any films at Monogram, but he certainly did at PRC.

>

I was thinking of VOODOO MAN (1944). And there may have been others, but without looking them up, that's the main one I was thinking of.

Eagle Lion is an interesting case as to whether it was a Poverty Row studio. PRC (definitely Poverty Row) was taken over by Eagle Lion, owned by J. Arthur Rank (not Poverty Row), in 1947 in order for Rank to expand his U.S. distribution. Eagle Lion put out B-movies, mostly noirs. Then, in 1950, it was taken over by United Artists.

> Eagle Lion is an interesting case as to whether it was a Poverty Row studio. PRC (definitely Poverty Row) was taken over by Eagle Lion, owned by J. Arthur Rank (not Poverty Row), in 1947 in order for Rank to expand his U.S. distribution. Eagle Lion put out B-movies, mostly noirs. Then, in 1950, it was taken over by United Artists.

Thanks...they were making fun of my original post. LOL

But I think Eagle-Lion is one of those in-between production houses. The quality seems to vary with each film that was turned out. I can never tell if it's 'poverty' or '99 cent store' filmmaking. Or maybe it's Prince Charles slumming at Walmart. LOL

For Samuel Goldwyn, add

-Ronald Colman, who worked in Goldwyn's productions from Tarnish in 1924 to The Masquerader in 1933 and was certainly his most important star during those years.

-Vilma Banky, a star for Goldwyn from 1925-29 and frequently partnered with Colman.

-Joel McCrea, who appeared in four Goldwyns from 1935-39.

-Belle Bennett, who made several films for Goldwyn in the mid 20s.

For United Artists, add

-Douglas Fairbanks, one of UA's founders.

-Gloria Swanson, at UA from The Loves of Sunya to A Perfect Understanding (1927-33).

-Norma Talmadge made her last four films at UA (1927-30).

-Buster Keaton had three UA releases in 1927-28: The General, College, Steamboat Bill Jr

-Dolores Del Rio appeared in four Edwin Carewe or Inspiration pictures released by UA from 1927-29.

-D. W. Griffith and his regulars, of whom the following had at least two UA releases: Lillian Gish, Richard Barthelmess, Neil Hamilton, Carol Dempster, Charles Emmett Mack, and many supporting players.

-Charles Ray had two UA releases in 1922-1923; George Arliss had three in 1921-22. John Barrymore also had three from 1927-29.

*As for the comments about the independent producers in this thread, I suppose I could've made a separate thread on them. The point is that many of them, even J. Arthur Rank, did not always have the amount of money that the major studios had to finance their films.*

Exactly. Goldwyn, Rank, etc. were most definitely NOT Poverty Row, which was geographical (Gower Gulch) as well as psychological and financial. These guys were major players, and were usually able to write their own ticket wherever they went. Their product definitely had more prestige than the typical Poverty Row quickie (doesn't mean that it was better necessarily), and even when filming at one of these studios, or having a distribution deal or whatever, they should never be lumped as PR. Same goes for UA.

No one seems to have mentioned Gale Storm, Queen of the Lot at Monogram in the 40s.