Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic police procedure movies

MyFavoriteFilms

I am posting this here because I don't think it exactly applies to film noir or mystery genres...though there is probably some overlap.

I rented HE WALKED BY NIGHT from Netflix. For those who don't know, it's a precursor to the Dragnet series, with Jack Webb (Webb plays a supporting role in the film and was inspired to create the show that would define his career).

Anyway, it reminded me a lot of THE NAKED CITY (which also became a hit TV series). I like the atmosphere of these films, and the semidocumentary style the directors use.

Another film I like a lot is MGM's MYSTERY STREET, which is less about mystery and more about how forensic science plays a role in nabbing a criminal.

Later examples toward the end of the production code include IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT (featuring Sidney Poitier as a police detective who clashes with a police chief played by Rod Steiger) which also became a long-running television series; THE BOSTON STRANGLER (with Henry Fonda as the investigating cop); and THE DETECTIVE, starring Frank Sinatra.

Post-production code titles: BULLITT; the DIRTY HARRY series; and John Wayne's MCQ.

What are some other films like these that I should see...?

67a.jpg

According to wiki:

The police procedural is a piece of fiction which attempts to convincingly depict the activities of a police force as they investigate crimes. While traditional detective stories usually concentrate on a single crime, police procedurals frequently depict investigations into several crimes in a single story.

Meanwhile, traditional mysteries usually adhere to the convention of having the criminal's identity concealed until the climax (the so-called whodunit), in police procedurals, the perpetrator's identity is often known to the audience from the outset.

Police procedurals depict a number of police-related topics such as forensics, autopsies, the gathering of evidence, the use of search warrants and interrogation.