Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

True Grit (1969)

DAKOTAWOMEN

Although it stood as much of a chance as that snowball in you know where, I was delighted that "True Grit" got a nod from Oscar, in fact 10 nods, making it one of most nominated Western ever. "Dances With Wolves" got 12.In it's 83 year history only 3 Westerns have won { Cimarron". "Dances With Wolves" and " Unforgiven"

Great classic Westerns like "Red River", "My Darling Clementine", 'Rio Brave","She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" and "The Wild Bunch" are just a few that got no nomination at all. Only a few , such as. "High Noon". "Shane" and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" received nominations. John Ford never won any of his Oscars for a Western. The original "True Grit" only received 2 nominations, Acting and Song. The Western film has been treated like that "Red Headed Step-Child" { apology to any red heads out there } by Hollywood over the last 83 years. So although it really didn't stand a chance I was happy to see it get some recognition.

Edited by: fredbaetz on Feb 28, 2011 1:08 AM

One thing that did strike me was the the fact that two different people (Wayne and Bridges) were both nominated for Best Actor for playing the same character. Wondering how many times, if any, that has happened before.

Must be something in history similar.

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> Although it stood as much of a chance as that snowball in you know where, I was delighted that "True Grit" got a nod from Oscar, in fact 10 nods, making it one of most nominated Western ever. "Dances With Wolves" got 12.In it's 83 year history only 3 Westerns have won { Cimarron". "Dances With Wolves" and " Unforgiven"

> Great classic Westerns like "Red River", "My Darling Clementine", 'Rio Brave","She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" and "The Wild Bunch" are just a few that got no nomination at all. Only a few , such as. "High Noon". "Shane" and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" received nominations. John Ford never won any of his Oscars for a Western. The original "True Grit" only received 2 nominations, Acting and Song. The Western film has been treated like that "Red Headed Step-Child" { apology to any red heads out there } by Hollywood over the last 83 years. So although it really didn't stand a chance I was happy to see it get some recognition.

>

> Edited by: fredbaetz on Feb 28, 2011 1:08 AM

Actually Fred,

In 1948, Red River received two nominations. One for Original Story, by Borden Chase, and a nomination for Best Editing by Christian Nyby. Both lost.

In 1949, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon received it's sole nomination for Color Cinematography, by Winton Hoch, who won the Oscar.

In 1969, The Wild Bunch received two nominations. One for Writing: Story and Screenplay based on material not previously published by Walon Green, Roy N. Sickner, and Sam Peckinpah and a nomination for Best Score by Jerry Fielding. Both lost.

I agree that it was wonderful to see a western in this day and age get the accolades the film actually deserved. I only saw one of the other nominated films from last night, but I did see True Grit just after Christmas. I though the film was outstanding. Last evening, the way I thought the awards were going and after bot Deakins and Steinfeld lost in their categories, I held out a slight hope that the Academy would give the Oscar for Best picture to True Grit. But after Tom Hooper had surprised everyone with his win for Best Director for The Kings Speech, I knew that it was a foregone conclusion that The Kings Speech would win Best Picture.

On a separate note, the western genre has always had a tough time with the Academy. I do not know if it is because many of the Academy members are from the east coast, or if that even matters. But it does say a lot about a genre that depends on the all-mighty weather of the outdoors to allow someone to photograph the actors and the action as opposed to films which are shot mainly in a protected environment. I have always said that shooting a film outdoors will be much more difficult than shooting inside. I have a feeling that many people in the business either are not aware of this, or sadly do not care.

As I wrote, I was really hoping that either Roger Deakins would win an Oscar for his cinematography for True Grit or Hailee Steinfeld for her Supporting role in True Grit.

Deakins has been nominated eight times now. And even though he is still relatively young (61) hopefully he will be able to get his Oscar due soon.

Steinfeld was excellent in her portrayal of the young Mattie Ross in True Grit. Miles ahead of Kim Darby's portrayal in the 1969 film *although I still think Darby did a good job). Hailee was more age appropriate for the role where as Darby was 22 at the time of the first film.

Message edited by Fxreyman

My apology. I worded it incorrect. My point was "Best Picture" nominations for the Western. I know those and others have received nominations in other categories and many won in those other areas, but my point was the "Best Picture" category. So again I'm sorry I was at fault for the wording.....

I live about 50 miles from Ft. Smith and was real excited to see this movie when it first came out.. Thought John Wayne was ok (typical JW). Kim Darby was alright but Glen Campbell should have stayed home. He is no actor! The most disappointing thing about the movie was location. Absolutely nothing that remotely resembles the ozarks. It was not an oscar performance.

Archived