Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"THE KING'S SPEECH" SET TO DOMINATE OSCARS!

> {quote:title=myidolspencer wrote:}{quote}

> It's early, but "King's Speech" seems a lock-(type of film) that will sweep 2010 OSCARS-(predix)

People who start making sweeping, unequivocal statements like the above usually end up eating a bit of crow when the returns come in.

I've read Barney's Version but the movie seems to be different from the novel in a number of ways. One thing is that key events take place in the fifties in the book, but the movie apparently takes place in the seventies. This is important, because Barney is acquitted of a murder in fifties Quebec. But the reader can't assume that he's innocent, because the only reason he's acquitted is because a Catholic priest gives him a testimonial, and the Catholic jurors acquit him like sheep. Whether jurors in Quebec would actually do that in the fifties strikes me as unlikely, and it's even more unlikely that a priest would lend his good name to someone so ambiguous. But in the seventies, the plot twist is clearly preposterous.

I was planning to see this movie because of the story, the marvelous Colin Firth playing the King, and Guy Pearce who fogged my glasses in LA Confidential even when he was wearing his. Because of the Isaac Chotiner?s review, I?m reconsidering until I check out the historical facts he brings up.

I?ve always Wallis Simpson might have been the best thing that ever happened to England if Edward VIII was as pro Nazi as evidence seems to point to and George VI, doubts, stuttering and all-was the right person for the job. That the royal family stayed in the palace during the war, even though it caught some of the bombs, speaks well of him.

If I?m wrong, I?d appreciate being corrected. If this movie is playing havoc with the truth, I don?t want to see it. I?m reminded of Lady Jane which was 90% true but by dwelling on the 10% fiction-her husband was and remained a spoiled lout through their marriage-all the beauty, attention to detail, and fine acting was for nothing. It looks like this might be true of this movie as well.

• 2 weeks later...

*Since The Social Network has beat The King's Speech at the Golden Globes, as well as at virtually all the major critics groups, I strongly suspect it will be the oscar frontrunner*

Don't underestimate the Academy's love of all things British and the pr prowess of *King's Speech* producer, Harvey Weinstein.

I have a strong feeling that "The Social Network" could pull in the "Oscar," because of its contemporary appeal. It's also an American film and story and this I think gives it a slight edge. The same might be said about "The Fighter," but it will win awards in other categories. I just feel "come from behind" fight films are in a techincal sense somewhat routine. The biggest and most watched race will be for "Best Actress." This just might finally be Annette Bening's year to take an "Oscar" home, having been passed up several times. I just don't see or feel anything about the hoopla over "Black Swan" and Natalie Portman. She's still got a long way to go, before I can say she's really ready. Annette and Julianne, are the one's I'll be looking towards a win. If I were to give the nod to any of the possible younger actresses, I'll focus upon Michelle Williams. . .Now here's an aspiring actress! In time, she could be very much looked upon as a young, Bette Davis or Katie Hepburn to her generation. About ten years ago, Michelle first got noticed in an incredibly wonderful little film called "The Station Agent." It was from that time on, I've kept my eyes on her and she's seems to be on her way to motion picture acting glory!

The Social Network is pretty much sweeping all the awards. It's definitely not my favorite of the year but I would be surprised if it doesn't come home with the Best Picture Oscar.

I do think Colin Firth has a good chance of winning Best Actor (which I am really hoping for). Actually I feel it would be an upset if he doesn't win.

Natalie Portman also seems to be the favorite for Best Actress (although I have heard positive things about Michelle Williams in Blue Valentine which I have not seen).

I will be rooting for Hailee Steinfeld for Best Supprting Actress. Although this is really a cheat because she was really the lead and that might count against her in the end.

I wouldnt be surprised if they split the director/film awards this year. I found Social Network a rather cold film and smart alecky in tone (like it's subject) though well made. Will be interesting to see how things turn out......

I'll be shocked (and unhappy) if Colin FIrth doesnt win, but I doubt I'll watch the show in any case. Life is too short! (to waste 4 hrs) I might record it and zip through to watch the highlights).

I'm hoping Annette Bening will finally win this year too (always the bridesmaid......)

I still see very little discussion of *Barney's Version*. Has it not yet received general release in the U.S.? It was scheduled for a few selected cities across North America very late in 2010, but it is still a 2010 film, therefore eligible for Oscar nominations.

I understand it got some attention at the Golden Globes awards - I believe Paul Giametti was recognized as best actor. It's supposed to be very good, I cannot understand why only one other person on this thread has commented on it.

Has no one seen or at least heard of *Barney's Version* ?