Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

has anyone else noticed this?

FloydDBarber

Right after the movie is introduced, the title of the movie appears briefly on the screen and at the same time there is a guitar (or string instrument) playing one single note followed by two beats on a timpani. These same three notes seem to have been used on Alfred Hitchcock Presents as an intro to the program. I guess you can't consider three notes as being stolen from an earlier source but couldn't it be some sort of a theft of these three notes?

Edited by: FloydDBarber on Dec 22, 2010 12:20 AM

I think Floyd is referring to the to rating card before the film begins.

It's on the blue and white background from the "31 Days of Oscar" background from a few years ago with the titles running horizontally across the background and various single film frames intermingled.

As for the music, Floyd, do you by chance have a link to a clip from *Alfred Hitchcock Presents* that the more musically inclined around here could compare the two?

I listened to the opening of a couple of *AHP* episodes on Youtube and the two intros don't sound the same.

But, perhaps, Musicalnovelty or RayFiola, who are both more musical inclined than I can take a listen.

Oh, you mean the "bum...ba-bum"..."bum...ba-bum"?

I never thought it was from anything. Hard to imagine that just those three notes would be from anywhere else. Took at least four notes to get "bum, bum ba bum" for Dranget from "The Killers."

I am sure the three notes are not from the Alfred Hitchcock theme.

The Herrmann-Hitchcock title music uses, I believe, tympani, held string and muted brass. Here's an example. The title section (not the series Main Title) follows Hitch's customary introduction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpY9cpe6g8

PS - some of you may know that the cop husband in "Lamb to the Slaughter" was played by former cowboy star Allan "Rocky" Lane, also the voice of Mr. Ed.

Commercial Bumper (circa 1960 - 1965): "Tymp Beat Music Cue"

[this was the cue with sustained strings and an eerie

soft timpani figure, which often preceded commercials on

the series. The name was seen on an episode cue sheet supplied

to ASCAP in order to collect performance royalties. This

cue may have originated in a production music library.

Pseudonym of publisher David Gordon. Probably a ghost

writer or library composer actually wrote this cue...

Library Music contributor T. Perrone has also found a very

similar cue in a movie scored by Herschel Burke Gilbert...]

Composer: Melvyn Lenard (ASCAP)

Original Publisher: Marlen Music Co.,

selling agent of Gordon Music Co. (ASCAP),

of Beverly Hills, CA

1998 Publisher: Gordon Music Company Inc. (ASCAP)

of Canoga Park, CA

Copyright Date:

Renewal Date:

Recording:

I would think that TCM. has a "blanket" license with ASCAP to use their music without having to clear the rights to every single piece. Just about everyone from the largest networks to the smallest local station does.

Because we hear music that was originally used somewhere else doesn't mean we should assume that it's stolen.

> {quote:title=FloydDBarber wrote:}{quote}

> Maybe "borrowed" would be a better word.

Of course, such things has been going on forever. My parents use to remind me that when I was a little kid, one of our local TV stations "borrowed" Tara's Theme from GONE WITH THE WIND as the opening music for their Late Show movie each night. When my parents took me to a reissue showing of GWTW and the music started I yelled out "Hey they're using the music from The Late Show" which embarrassed my parents to no end and got a huge laugh from the audience.

I don't know why I thought of this, maybe the GWTW story made me think back.

I was about 9 or 10 and we were kneeling at a Catholic Mass.

When the altar boy rang the bells before communion a little girl from our group said very loudly:

"Mommy the good humor man is here, can I have an ice cream?"

I'll never forget that.

Edited by: FloydDBarber on Dec 23, 2010 9:41 AM